Metra dash kit for 2012 focus - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #91
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue View Post
I had a kenwood dnx9990 in my 11 fusion which is the same as the 6990 just with a bigger screen. The unit is light years better than the earlier models. The processor is faster so switching screens is a lot faster and smoother. If you have an ipod that you listen too get the add on ipod cable for the kenwood HU's its about 30 bucks. You won't regret it, you can scroll thru and find music faster on the touchscreen than you can on the clickwheel on the ipod. If you have sync in the truck and would like to keep it look into the idatalink maestro unit, it is by far the best solution available to keep sync with an aftermarket HU, and its cheaper than the other setup out there. Also the maestro is designed to work with the 2012 model kenwoods (the 6990 is a 2012 model) thru a special serial cable that plugs right into the back of the kenwood.

http://maestro.idatalink.com/

The 6990 and 9990 will fit in the MK3 with the metra dash kit, you just have to use the metra harnesses, the maestro does work with the MK3's yet.
Well, Kenwood may very well sell me two of these, one for the 06 F350, one for the 13 FoFo SE Hatch... although I may do the truck and be sure I like it before upgrading the Hatch. The truck has no Sync, but it does have steering wheel controls.
SR #265 | "Quia currus certatus, inferius"
13 Focus Ti Sedan w/Handling Pkg, MFT Sony 10 NAV, Leather
13 Focus SE HB Sterling Grey, 201A, Leather
06 F350 6.0L DRW King Ranch, Sunroof, Rhino Bed Liner, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, AirRaid, Edge Chip w/Pyro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #92
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPsDad View Post
The truck has no Sync, but it does have steering wheel controls.
Idatalink also makes a maestro unit just for steering wheel controls, its called the maestro SW. Also you can program the controls on your PC and just upload the custom firmware right into the maestro. You can change the functions of the buttons to whatever you like and add a secondary function to each button.

BTW you will be glad to know that on kenwoods with DVD all you need to bypass the video interlock is ground the parking brake wire coming from the HU and you will get video in motion so you kids can watch barney on DVD while your driving. There is also video out ports so you can use rear seat video screens but control the video from the HU
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37

Last edited by I Bleed Ford Blue; 04-11-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #93
Tiger-Heli
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
I think SYNC only works with the supplied USB jack location with those, and not with the Kenwood USB jack. I also don't think you can tune the satellite radio or normal radio using SYNC - but I don't know that you can with the factory radio either.

It will vary by state, but it is often illegal to have a DVD screen operable in view of the driver while the vehicle is in motion. It is also illegal in many states to ground the parking brake wire as suggested. Check with state law - the biggest concern is if you have an accident and your insurance company refuses coverage of the other persons insurance company sues you b/c of this.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #94
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
I think SYNC only works with the supplied USB jack location with those, and not with the Kenwood USB jack.
You are 100% correct.

Quote:
I also don't think you can tune the satellite radio or normal radio using SYNC - but I don't know that you can with the factory radio either.
Actually it does, if the SWC tuned the factory radio it will tune the new HU with the maestro SW or maestro RR plus do other things the factory SWC never did, such as pause the CD or ipod.

Quote:
It will vary by state, but it is often illegal to have a DVD screen operable in view of the driver while the vehicle is in motion. It is also illegal in many states to ground the parking brake wire as suggested. Check with state law - the biggest concern is if you have an accident and your insurance company refuses coverage of the other persons insurance company sues you b/c of this.
I know its technically illegal, but I was just informing him how easy it was. If he does bypass the interlock, its on him if there are any consequences.
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #95
Tiger-Heli
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Actually it does, if the SWC tuned the factory radio it will tune the new HU with the maestro SW or maestro RR plus do other things the factory SWC never did, such as pause the CD or ipod.
We are talking about two different things - the SWC should work as well or better than it ever did. You can't use SYNC and say "Play 80's on 8" or "Play Sirius Channel 8", but I don't think you could with the OEM radio either.

Quote:
If he does bypass the interlock, its on him if there are any consequences.
Agreed, in which case, it's nice to inform him of possible consequences.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #96
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Quote:
We are talking about two different things - the SWC should work as well or better than it ever did. You can't use SYNC and say "Play 80's on 8" or "Play Sirius Channel 8", but I don't think you could with the OEM radio either.
I wouldn't know about that, I've never used sirrus. I just let the free trial expire and never gave it a second thought. I actually lost the sat radio when I yanked the factory HU and put in the kenwood, 2010-2012 fusions had the sat radio built into the factory HU.

On a related note, you can use voice commands to control sat radio on vehicles equipped with MFT, the wife has done it in her escape just to try it.
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 04-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #97
Tiger-Heli
Focus Enthusiast

Yes, but you can't replace the radio with aftermarket on the MFT cars.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #98
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
Well, I bought the Head Unit for the truck (which is going to be a trial version of how I like the unit for install in the 13 SE Hatch). Because of the model year change, I got DNX690HD instead of DNX6990HD. The former is the 2013 version, the latter the 2012 version.

Install in the truck is set for Thursday. I leave on a business trip very very early Friday morning, so I may not post up until Monday or Tuesday (a week from today or tomorrow).

I am again assuming that with the AXXESS kit and the kits that are available with the head unit, I should be able to get full function on the focus. I'm a little disturbed, after careful reading, that I may end up having to replace LEDs. I might be able to live with the orange, dunno. You have to wonder about their decision making there, though.
SR #265 | "Quia currus certatus, inferius"
13 Focus Ti Sedan w/Handling Pkg, MFT Sony 10 NAV, Leather
13 Focus SE HB Sterling Grey, 201A, Leather
06 F350 6.0L DRW King Ranch, Sunroof, Rhino Bed Liner, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, AirRaid, Edge Chip w/Pyro
Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #99
Tiger-Heli
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPsDad View Post
You have to wonder about their decision making there, though.
Yes, Metra's tech support didn't have a good answer for me on that. All I can guess is that they previously made a kit for the Fiesta and orange worked fine for that and they ASSuME'd the Focus used the same interior lighting and never bothered to check - hard to imagine, but I can't really think of another reason.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #100
trekkie0927
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113931
What I Drive: 2012 Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 trekkie0927 Good Standing Member
Nexus 7 power

Hi all,

I'm very interested to replicate phillyfan1138's setup:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...4&postcount=48

Keeping the original radio and using Bluetooth Audio for sound. Apparently, Sync is capable of supporting one device for phone audio gateway and another device for A2DP. This works out perfectly because you can still receive phone calls while using the tablet for media.

So now the only problem I have is power. I need a power source which provides enough current to charge the tablet so the battery doesn't just deplete slowly. I think the Nexus 7 charger is rated at 2A.

Does anyone have any idea how I can do this? I've read that some folks wire directly from the the car battery with an inline fuse and 12V-5V USB adapter. I wouldn't mind doing that as it doesn't involve cutting up any factory wiring. But how can I connect a wire from inside the dash to the battery???

If anyone else have a different idea on how to get power to the tablet (keeping stock radio, so no special harness), please let me know. Thanks.

Bookmarks & Social Networks