Parking Sensor False Alarms - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,284, Level 35
Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonpalm View Post
Since there's more 2013 owners out there now, I thought I'd bring back this issue I've had with my parking sensors beeping in error. It has now been 6 months since I bought the car and the issue remains unresolved after several dealer visits...
Hi dragonpalm,

I can arrange for a follow-up call from your regional customer service manager so they can recommend next steps. Just send me a PM with your current mileage and the dealership you prefer to go to for service; I'll do the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasDmw View Post
I've expereinced this as well and now that I see others are, will watch more for the situation...
Hi JasDmw,

You're welcome to contact my colleagues at Ford Canada so they can assist. Give them a call at 1-800-565-3673; they'll be happy to help.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

Points 571, Level 11
Points: 571, Level: 11 Points: 571, Level: 11 Points: 571, Level: 11
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi dragonpalm,

I can arrange for a follow-up call from your regional customer service manager so they can recommend next steps. Just send me a PM with your current mileage and the dealership you prefer to go to for service; I'll do the rest.

Crystal
I did this 6 months ago but I guess I'll do it again... PM Sent.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #23
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Points 571, Level 11
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Update

This is an update for those who have this sensor problem or are interested.

My Ford CSR, James Hayward, told me that Ford had released a new diagnostic update for this problem. He then forwarded my information to a local dealer and I took the car in and the dealer had it for the whole day (about 8 hours).

The tech updated my BCM and APIM software, as per their standard procedure. Then he and the service manager did a test drive in my car but were unable to reproduce the sensor problem. They assured me that all the sensors were working normally and that all the systems were fine and sent me and my car home.

Almost every single day I've driven afterwards, the sensors have gone off without reason. It happens in stop and go traffic when I'm crawling under 10 mph. It's usually a loud solid tone but sometimes it was a series of continuous short tones. The only way to stop it was to turn off the parking sensors.

I have concluded that the only fix is a complete replacement of the parking sensor system. But of course the dealer won't do it unless they can replicate the problem, which they can't.

TL;DR 3 dealerships and 5 service days later, the problem remains unresolved.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
focus wht
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49023
What I Drive: 2013 Focus TI White Platinum

FF Reputation: 1 focus wht Good Standing Member
I had the same issue dealer replaced 2 outside sensors and have not had another false beep since. Just had to experiment with which ones as there is no way to diagnosis without it beeping when at the dealer (which never did when at dealer) . Happy now.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #25
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Points 571, Level 11
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus wht View Post
I had the same issue dealer replaced 2 outside sensors and have not had another false beep since. Just had to experiment with which ones as there is no way to diagnosis without it beeping when at the dealer (which never did when at dealer) . Happy now.
How did your dealer figure out which sensors were at fault?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #26
focus wht
Focus Enthusiast

They could not tell which sensors were bad either so they ordered 2 and installed in the outside positions. They got lucky the first time as that cleared the problem. If that had not worked the plan was to switch the news to the inside as see what happens. They were first installed unpainted and left for a month in. The reason unpainted is because if they had to move to the inside they are different colour gloss black as outside ones are body colour. After a month of no issues the sensors were take out and sent to body shop for paint and then reinstalled and have never had false bbeping since. Previously to replacement I had 6 months of false beeping.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #27
focus wht
Focus Enthusiast

By the way the updates they performed for you were for other issues. The APIM update is for the my for touch updates. Nothing to do with front park aid.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #28
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Points 571, Level 11
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus wht View Post
They could not tell which sensors were bad either so they ordered 2 and installed in the outside positions. They got lucky the first time as that cleared the problem. If that had not worked the plan was to switch the news to the inside as see what happens. They were first installed unpainted and left for a month in. The reason unpainted is because if they had to move to the inside they are different colour gloss black as outside ones are body colour. After a month of no issues the sensors were take out and sent to body shop for paint and then reinstalled and have never had false bbeping since. Previously to replacement I had 6 months of false beeping.
So, even though your 2 original front outside sensors "worked", they replaced them and gave your car back and the problem stopped? If so, your dealership is a keeper because they offered an alternative solution. My dealerships here won't go to those lengths and they keep saying they can only diagnose when the problem is occurring. Their latest suggestion is for me to take the tech on an extended test drive to trigger the problem. Now, I'll tell them to do start replacing sensors until the problem stops.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #29
focus wht
Focus Enthusiast

They replaced the 2 outside sensors first as a test. They got lucky on there first try as it was one or both of the outside sensors. They are a good dealer ,yes. Another option for you if you can do it your self is to buy a new sensor on your own . All four are the same part #. Start to replace one at a time . In other words puy a new one in one position and try it for a few days and see if it beeps any more. I f beeping continue substitute new sensor to the next spot and so on, Finally when you find the bad sensor contact dealer have them reimburse you for the part and have it painted. The sensors are inexpensive. in order to access them you would have to remove cover partially
to access them. To short the time you could buy a couple of sensors.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #30
Jewfei
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116044
What I Drive: 2013 focus

Points 15, Level 1
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Jewfei Good Standing Member
My Focus is having the same problems with the front sensors. Sometimes it goes away as I start driving but I usually have to turn off the parking sensors or restart the car. Has anyone else had any luck with their dealerships?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.