Anyone actually have the DCT / transmission grinding or rattle noise go away on its own after break in period? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
kevinxb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96008
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ti Hatch

Points 538, Level 10
Points: 538, Level: 10 Points: 538, Level: 10 Points: 538, Level: 10
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 kevinxb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I just passed 10K. Mine seemed to not make as much noise as much after 6 or 7K miles. The operation smoothed out as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,140, Level 34
Points: 3,140, Level: 34 Points: 3,140, Level: 34 Points: 3,140, Level: 34
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi everyone,

I love reading about all of these positive experiences! If you ever need my assistance, please remember that I'm here to do what I can to help. Just send a PM in my direction with a description of your concern and your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name).

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 04-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
symbology
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94555
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB 301A Mtl.Blk

FF Reputation: 1 symbology Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepring View Post
Again, I'm most interested in whether anyone who DID have the distinct noise at first actually had it disappear on it's own. So far I count two who seem to have experienced what mine does (2013 FF SE) and had it go away. Any other takers?
2012 SEL, still have the same grinding noises at 15k that I did at 1k. Dealership gives me the constant runaround.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Mine has always been temperature dependent, now it's getting warm again i'm wondering if it's broken in. I have 27,000 miles on the car.

If it wasn't for the rattle, i'd unambiguously love this car.

with the rattle, i love* the car.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
vegachicago
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89988
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Sterling Grey

Points 918, Level 16
Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 vegachicago Good Standing Member
after around 8-10 k all grinding went away. Still hear clicking but its normal.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
Clemenza
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99121
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Clemenza Good Standing Member
2013 Ti. about to turn 18k miles. shudders occasionally on tip-in to light accel. Rattling, (bucket of ice, metallic deck of cards shuffle, ) noise at low speed, 1-2 upshift and especially on roadway undulations. Seems to come and go. No direct correlation to temperature, driving pattern or driver input. None of these annoyances impede performance or seem to hurt the rest of the driveline - time will tell. And no, it does not affect fuel economy.

Can't wait for the next set of posts about all of the odd "squishy" solenoid sounds when you first press the start button without brake pedal depressed. (listen to it when you perform the MFT software updates- you don't actually have to keep the damn thing running the whole time)
Old 11-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #17
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

Points 1,362, Level 20
Points: 1,362, Level: 20 Points: 1,362, Level: 20 Points: 1,362, Level: 20
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 4 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just took my Focus in Friday to have the coolant flushed and while I was there I had them check to see if there was a new software update for my DCT. I had an update done back in 2012 not too long after I got the car. Lately, it was shuddering a bit on take off and the computer was "riding the clutch" between shifts in low gear. Friday (according to the work order) they "performed an updated flash and transmission drive cycle relearn". I have to tell you, now at 32+k miles, the transmission is now shifting the smoothest since I bought the car. Curiously, the steering now feels less heavy also. Weird. But I likes it!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
FoFoTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119990
What I Drive: 2014 hatch

Points 402, Level 8
Points: 402, Level: 8 Points: 402, Level: 8 Points: 402, Level: 8
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 FoFoTi Good Standing Member
So far NO problem with mine, hope it stays that way
Old 11-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
MattKoch89
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 115244
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 MattKoch89 Good Standing Member
I too have a random grinding noise coming from my front end. I've had it for many, many miles. I've brought it to the dealership more than once and they have never been able to address the problem. Even about two weeks ago I brought it and they had nothing to say about it. The grinding noise is pretty constant above 30 mph but it won't do it at all under that speed. Wish I knew what it was too :/
Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #20
fordgal88
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120455
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 fordgal88 Good Standing Member
Shake Rattle and Roll

I bought my 2012 Focus Titanium in June of 2012 brand new. Car had done wonderfully. Seemed to drag on hills, but had read that it was normal because the transmission doesn't "downshift" (or that is what I was told).

About two months ago, I noticed a "rev" feeling when I barely touched the gas. I also noticed what seemed to be the transmission slipping. I took it to the dealership where my uncle works (mechanic with 30 years experience at the same dealership) to get an oil change and to have them look at it. He brought me back to work and did notice the acceleration and the revving. He agreed that it is not supposed to do that. He seemed very perplexed and said that it sounded very bad. So I left it there thinking I would not see my baby for a while. Well that afternoon he called me back and said that the transmission guy looked at it and did an update and that was all that was needed. Funny thing - when they did the update - the air stopped working, luckily my uncle disconnected the battery and reset it and then it worked fine (but sad that the other guys did not know how to resolve that). So I get it home and it seems okay. Then we leave to go into town and as soon as we accellerate the car starts vibrating like it is running over grated road. Just did it for a split second. I thought okay maybe it was the road and tried to put it behind me. Only I couldn't, because it only got more frequent. First it was only after we turned onto a road and accellerated. Then it got to where it would do it irregularly any time we accellerated. So last week I called my uncle to give him a heads up that i was bringing it back to the dealership and then he tells me that when he drove it a few weeks earlier he noticed that there was a definite problem with the transmission and felte the shutter, not to mention the roll back on an incline. He also told me that it drove incredibly rough. I asked him why he didn't say anything and he said that he didn't want to add stress to an already stressful situation (we were looking for a missing family member). So today I take it back to the dealership and told them to keep it until they fix it. After googling this problem, it looks like Ford knew about this and implemented a fix on the cars built after August 2012. I do love my focus and will only buy a Ford, but if this continues and is not resolved, I might just have to share my love elsewhere. =(

Bookmarks & Social Networks