2013 Titanium acceleration issue... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
GearHead2013
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113025
What I Drive: 2013 Grey Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 GearHead2013 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 Titanium acceleration issue...

Hello all. Of course I'm new here so please be gentle…

I searched the forum and couldn't find anyone who was having the same issue, but if this has been covered, please point me in the right direction, as I guess I wasn't using the right search terms.

My problem is with the acceleration of my car. The problem is intermittent and has been very difficult to reproduce reliably for the dealer. Here is what happens…

When the problem rears it's head, the acceleration is horrible. This happens across the entire speed range, from dead stops to accelerating on the highway (like from 60 to 70, etc). I step on the peddle and I have to push it to the floor to get the car to accelerate. When I do, the revs go to the red line but the car barely accelerates. It feels basically like it would if I were going down a hill with the car in neutral while stepping on the gas peddle. Very little acceleration but the revs are out of control. When the problem starts, there are no warning lights but the after a bit the check engine light eventually comes on. After shutting off the car and letting it completely cool off, sometimes the problem will go away and the check engine light will go out. However, this won't happen every time and sometimes I start driving and the problem still exists.

I've taken the car to the dealer twice for this issue (The TSB was completed on the car about six months earlier). The first time they couldn't reproduce the issue and they simply cleared the code to shut off the check engine light. The second time, they had the car for over a week in which time they replaced several sensors and the PCU under the advice of Ford Tech Services.

After I got the car back, it was running like normal and everything was fine for about a month. Now, in the last couple of days the issue is back. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I plan to take it to a different dealer this time, but before I go in, I wanted to find out if anyone else had the same experience and if they could provide any advice that I could use when talking to the service manager.

Thanx in advance for your responses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92148
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead2013 View Post
I step on the peddle and I have to push it to the floor to get the car to accelerate. When I do, the revs go to the red line but the car barely accelerates.
This may seem blatantly obvious, and could very well be wrong, but: Based on your description off the bat!
That sounds like the clutch (for whatever reason) is not engaging, or is only partially engaging (which explains the very "subtle" change in speed).

My clutch is actually slipping right now. If I accelerate 'hard' like you said (red-line RPMs): My vehicle won't move very much faster.
Although in my case, you'll also feel 'bumps' or 'jerks' (if you will); Which is the clutch slipping (hit-and-miss).

You said the CEL comes on? What are the DTCs (errors)? You can get them read for free at AutoZone.
I'd assume the dealership would do it for free too, assuming it's covered by a warranty.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Welcome to the forum

I moved you to the MK3 section so others who've may have had the same problem can see your thread.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 04-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Vernl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92066
What I Drive: 2012 Tri white Titanium 401a

FF Reputation: 1 Vernl Good Standing Member
Key on..do not start car, gas pedal fully depressed for 5 sec, key off before releasing pedal up, wait at least 2 minutes before starting car.

Try the above procedure....it resets your throttle
Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
...After I got the car back, it was running like normal and everything was fine for about a month. Now, in the last couple of days the issue is back. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I plan to take it to a different dealer this time, but before I go in, I wanted to find out if anyone else had the same experience and if they could provide any advice that I could use when talking to the service manager...
Hi GearHead2013,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can assist. Send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name); I'll get the ball rolling.

Thanks!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
GearHead2013
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
You said the CEL comes on? What are the DTCs (errors)?
Thanx for the response Oblivion. The CEL code, according to the dealer, has to do with the cam sensor which is part of why they had so many problems finding a root cause.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
GearHead2013
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Welcome to the forum

I moved you to the MK3 section so others who've may have had the same problem can see your thread.
Thank you. The MK3 forum description didn't mention mechanical issues, so that's why I didn't put it there in the first place.

I'm really glad I found this forum. Already picked up some great stuff.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
GearHead2013
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi GearHead2013,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can assist. Send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name); I'll get the ball rolling.

Thanks!

Crystal
Done... thanx
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Done... thanx
Hi GearHead2013,

I received your PM and responded; check out your inbox for my message.

Thanks!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->