Coolant Question -Is this normal? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #51
kbass24emtp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87665
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 kbass24emtp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think the gunk is some type of assembly lube or something left over from it getting built. My 2012 F150 has the same coolant and it is clear as can be. Totally different looking from our Focus There is just over 15000 miles on the Focus now and the gunk on the cap is not accumulating like when it was new and the coolant only has a slight film occasionally. Weird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #52
got3fords
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93395
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE Sport HB 203A

FF Reputation: 1 got3fords Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpass105 View Post
This post is so ignorant it makes me mad. Firstly, do you understand what boiling is? It is a process in which water evaporates and turns into steam. The only thing that is going to be carried up onto the radiator cap is H20. Any solids would be to heavy and remain in the coolant. *End Rant*
You do realize that gasoline and other products are derived from crude oil by BOILING it? I thought not. Its hard to tell what happens to oily contaminants in the cooling system when the temperature reaches 200 degrees or so.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #53
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
It seems like this car now has the reputation by Ford shops to "not touch it" and "it's normal" unless corporate tells us otherwise.

To the person who replaced the coolant with non-Ford coolant. I would be careful with that as it's a speciality coolant from the factory, and you don't need another reason for Ford to deny service and/or warranty in the future.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #54
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by got3fords View Post
Its hard to tell what happens to oily contaminants in the cooling system when the temperature reaches 200 degrees or so.
Well, they certainly won't "boil off". The boiling point of water/coolant mix in a pressurized system is about 255 degrees @ ~14PSI. Of course, the boiling point of oil will be much higher than that.

If the water/coolant mix in your cooling system is reaching those temperatures, you have more important things to worry about than oily contaminants!
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #55
got3fords
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Well, they certainly won't "boil off". The boiling point of water/coolant mix in a pressurized system is about 255 degrees @ ~14PSI. Of course, the boiling point of oil will be much higher than that.

If the water/coolant mix in your cooling system is reaching those temperatures, you have more important things to worry about than oily contaminants!
Right, the coolant won't boil, but there may be other contaminants with varying boiling points.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #56
prv5004
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90916
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sport Hatch 5-spd

FF Reputation: 1 prv5004 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
It seems like this car now has the reputation by Ford shops to "not touch it" and "it's normal" unless corporate tells us otherwise.

To the person who replaced the coolant with non-Ford coolant. I would be careful with that as it's a speciality coolant from the factory, and you don't need another reason for Ford to deny service and/or warranty in the future.
Warning noted. I may switch back to the orange coolant eventually, but so far the yellow is still nice and clear.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #57
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I realized my coolant was noticeably low this weekend (maybe an inch below the MIN line) and - especially at 50 degrees - I would think the coolant should be higher than the MIN line...

Anyway, I opened the cap at saw this same build-up. Has anyone gotten any closure on this issue? Should I bring it up to the dealer or just clean it and top it off?

(Also noted on this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306659)
Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #58
got3fords
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I realized my coolant was noticeably low this weekend (maybe an inch below the MIN line) and - especially at 50 degrees - I would think the coolant should be higher than the MIN line...

Anyway, I opened the cap at saw this same build-up. Has anyone gotten any closure on this issue? Should I bring it up to the dealer or just clean it and top it off?

(Also noted on this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306659)
Don't sweat it. You would have to have a perfectly clean block on assembly not to have anything in there. It's no big deal!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #59
prv5004
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90916
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sport Hatch 5-spd

FF Reputation: 1 prv5004 Good Standing Member
Just to update everyone, I sold my car about 7 or 8 months (another 10k miles) after I replaced the reservoir tank and switched to yellow coolant, but it remained perfectly clear for that remaining period of time.

I think I mentioned somewhere that a new coolant tank can be purchased from fordparts.com as part number 8A080.

Bookmarks & Social Networks