Headliner Gauge Pod - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc17 View Post
That's really great work. It looks OEM. I wish I had $150 to give you for one. Did you do fiberglass?

It will be a challenge/something to do to keep me busy this summer. I hope I can get it to turn out as good as yours.
Many have tried to replicate them the way I do, but most lose that little indent/line that surrounds the edge around the cluster and can't get the gauges pointing at the driver.

I use a combination of a couple materials. I buy urethane plastic sheets from a hobby store for filler pieces....then cut the coin tray out and position two pieces of the grey PVC 2" pipe (this is the hard part, getting them to ACTUALLY aim at the driver).....then I superglue them in place to hold them while I plastic-weld them and make filler pieces (plastic-weld those in as well). Then I fiberglass everything into shape, and then put a coat of body filler over it and sand to perfection. It's about 12hrs worth of work start-finish. When done correctly, they pods BARELY fit into that area. They are mounted RIGHT AGAINST the flange around the cluster and you have to nearly cue straight through the bottom lip going towards the passenger side corner/triangle area. if you break through there, it will never fit the dash correctly.....this is why most people start making one and then give up and buy one from me lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
sbc17
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101047
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT , '96 Sunfire

FF Reputation: 2 sbc17 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Well I might be one of those people. But I want to challenge myself and try it. : )
I'll see what happens.

How deep is the pocket behind where the coin holder was?
Blue Interior
Build number: 61 of 3985
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I found having gauges in the two center heat/ac vents to be a good location. Good distance away, but not too far. A pillar was too close so I can only image a headliner mount being waaaay too close to be any good.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
sbc17
Focus Addict

Well I will have plenty of pics while I am making the headliner pod. I sit kinda far back so I don't think it will be to bad.
Blue Interior
Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
sbc17
Focus Addict

Alright so the car came out today and I had a quick min to do a crappy tape mock up for what I wanna do. I looked at the space i have to work with and i don't think a full size pod will work. So some of you who though it wouldn't work i have now confirmed it. Lol

But i didn't give up that easy!! Glowshift sends you a single mount gauge pod with there gauges. It's very minimal and small enough to fit in the windshield instead of a full pod! So I taped it up there to get an idea of how driving with it would be. IMO it's perfect! You can tuck the metal plate up high enough into the headliner so that there is no visibility loss(within reason)

I plan on mounting this up maybe next week sometime.

I'll have better pics of how I mount it as well as more angles to see how it looks installed.
Blue Interior
Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
sbc17
Focus Addict

Alright. So I just finished installing the voltage gauge into my headliner area. I ended up just using the single pod that came with the gauge from Glowshift. It has a metal bracket with it as well.

First I used about 3" of matte black vinyl on the inside of the windshield. This both allowed me to stick the gauge and removed the dot matrix problem with my tint visor.

I used this to stick it to the vinyl on the windshield. They are for picture frames and they are rated at almost 15lbs which is more than enough. They are "Command Strips". It's like plastic Velcro but stronger.

I wired the power thru the headlight switch using this pin diagram. (The rectangle one on the right)

Here is the finished product installed. I think it turned out great. When I get more money I am planning on getting a water temp and oil pressure gauge to put up there as well.

Blue Interior
Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
fastzx360
Focus Addict

Fan#: 11390
What I Drive: 2004 White ZX5 2.3L

FF Reputation: 33 fastzx360 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Seen custom 2 gauge pod glassed in the sunroof panel near the switch. Looked cleaned. But that was back in the day.

Bookmarks & Social Networks