Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 194 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #1931
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100905
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm not going to say that these transmissions are perfect because mine has a lot of the same issues. However, remember even though you have an automatic gearbox internally this is a 100% manual transmission and it drives just like it too. For those who have owned a straight stick before it will not seem as bad. For those of us who have never driven a manual it will take some changes in driving habits. When Ford tells you to drive it like a normal automatic they are wrong, you can't drive this car like an automatic. If you take Ford's advice to drive it like a normal automatic you will eventually damage the transmission and the clutches....plus you will continue to feel the shuddering and shaking that a lot of people continue to complain about. Trust me, I had my dad and two other people who have driven manual transmissions drive my car and they said that what I was experiencing was normal symptoms that a person who was inexperienced at driving a standard stick shift car would feel. The rattling between shifts is obviously a problem, but other than that they felt that the car was just displaying it's manual side. What I found was that you can't give this car too much gas until after the first shift (about 5mph), you have to allow the engine and tranny to get to that shiftpoint without being too heavy on the pedal or you will race the engine and it will shudder. Once you get that first shift out of the way you can then start to accelerate normally. It has worked much better since I have tried this....it takes a little training to get the right pressure on the gas pedal. The other thing is that when you have to slow up to make a turn or for a slower driver you can't just jump back on the gas to speed up again, you have to allow the computer to downshift just like you would have to downshift in a straight stick. Overall I think a lot of the problems people are experiencing on here is due to lack of understanding to what this tranny really is and that's a pure 100% manual without the driver interaction....which is what Ford advertises it to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #1932
RFrench6646
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101073
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Sonic Blue, Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 RFrench6646 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers View Post
Thank you! I finally spoke with a trans tech at ford and he said the trans has 3 differnt issues and mine has all 3. They are taking out the trans and replacing them but was told that 2 of the parts will fail again.
What were the 3 parts? & Which 2 will fail again? I too don't buy the tech's story of pre planning a failure. I'm quite sure Ford would be on top of something like that. This is the number one car in global sales right now.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #1933
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68979
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium, Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 2 Shorty Long Good Standing Member
perhaps there is a fundamental design flaw in the transmission that cannot be fixed unless the DCT is entirely re-engineered? that's my fear as an owner...i've had my 2012 since May 2011 and the problems are REALLY beginning to pile up

-the headliner has once again come apart...this is after having it fully replaced
-the transmission is grinding
-the paint keeps chipping away in big chunks
-i periodically get the clunk from the front suspension

you know what's worse than having these problems with my car? jumping through the hoops to finally get ford and my dealership to address them only to have them pop back up within a couple months.

i know ford really wanted to take the focus up a notch in terms of quality with this latest incarnation, but i don't think they fully delivered. i'm more than willing to spend a bit more for a compact that is of a particular quality, but there is an element of cheapness with this car that is becoming more and more apparent to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrench6646 View Post
What were the 3 parts? & Which 2 will fail again? I too don't buy the tech's story of pre planning a failure. I'm quite sure Ford would be on top of something like that. This is the number one car in global sales right now.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #1934
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
There is a ford rep named Eric at the facebook ford focus page who has helped many other oners get their cases escalated when the dealer gave them the run=around like you are getting.
This transmission has been in use by VW Audi for many years and can now be found in many brands worldwide up to Ferrari and Nissan GT-R.
The problem, imo, if the dealers all have been sent a memo telling them that many of your problems are normal. In truth, ask any vw GTI owner or audi, is that anythng more than a mild shudder on low speed shifts is NOT normal.
If the hundreds of posts here are not enough, you can see over a hundred more at http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/fo...ssion-problem/

My Focus had all these problems and couple reprogrammings BUT nothing really got better until I hit 13,000 miles when they all went away, why I don't know.

But ask yourself, if the problems are all "normal", how could they go away.

This is a great transmission in the VW GTI or Audi, but to get it right in your Focus you'll need to follow thru and not take no for an answer.

If you goto the Ford focus facebook page you will see more people with the same problem.
As other have pointed out, while DCTs have been used for some time by other manufacturers, this is the first wide use of a dry-clutch DCT in a car as big as the Focus. The wet-clutch DCTs used by VW and others seems less prone to clutch chatter and grinding, but is more expensive to maintain and less-efficient.

I thought I was buying a proven component too, but we North American Focus buyers are Ford's DCT Beta Testers.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #1935
Deniron
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115721
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Blue

FF Reputation: 1 Deniron Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1970 View Post
I'm not going to say that these transmissions are perfect because mine has a lot of the same issues. However, remember even though you have an automatic gearbox internally this is a 100% manual transmission and it drives just like it too. For those who have owned a straight stick before it will not seem as bad. For those of us who have never driven a manual it will take some changes in driving habits. When Ford tells you to drive it like a normal automatic they are wrong, you can't drive this car like an automatic. If you take Ford's advice to drive it like a normal automatic you will eventually damage the transmission and the clutches....plus you will continue to feel the shuddering and shaking that a lot of people continue to complain about. Trust me, I had my dad and two other people who have driven manual transmissions drive my car and they said that what I was experiencing was normal symptoms that a person who was inexperienced at driving a standard stick shift car would feel. The rattling between shifts is obviously a problem, but other than that they felt that the car was just displaying it's manual side. What I found was that you can't give this car too much gas until after the first shift (about 5mph), you have to allow the engine and tranny to get to that shiftpoint without being too heavy on the pedal or you will race the engine and it will shudder. Once you get that first shift out of the way you can then start to accelerate normally. It has worked much better since I have tried this....it takes a little training to get the right pressure on the gas pedal. The other thing is that when you have to slow up to make a turn or for a slower driver you can't just jump back on the gas to speed up again, you have to allow the computer to downshift just like you would have to downshift in a straight stick. Overall I think a lot of the problems people are experiencing on here is due to lack of understanding to what this tranny really is and that's a pure 100% manual without the driver interaction....which is what Ford advertises it to be.
Sounds reasonable, I will give it a try, but, should I still request an update TSB 11-10-2 ?
Thank you for taking the time to answer the question. I'm starting to understand now, I have never driven a stick shift before. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #1936
VanceVEP72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115153
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White 5-Dr Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 1 VanceVEP72 Good Standing Member
My '13 has just under 1,100 miles on it now and while I have seen the performance of the DCT improve quite a bit, the slipping/shuddering through 1st gear from a dead stop takeoff is still unacceptable. It is much worse when the temps outside are over 100 degrees (which is often the case here in Phoenix, AZ!). There are times when I am afraid to make a left-hand turn unless it is on a green arrow. Once out of first gear, the DCT is pretty good.

On a side note, has anyone notice the RPMS "wavering" a little bit at highway speeds with the DCT? I've notice that if I set the cruise at 65 mph, I can watch the tach needle bob a little as it goes down the highway. Makes me wonder if the clutch is slipping a little?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #1937
JoeMcCrary
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104632
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 JoeMcCrary Good Standing Member
Great post, but...

Dylan's is a great post that everyone should read. It probably won't fix all of your problems, but I've been finding out much of what Dylan posts here through trial-and-error. My dealer had absolutely no clue about how ot drive the DCT.

Maybe Ford ought to put out a video tutorial on using the DCT.

My big issue is the piss-poor acceleration of this car, and I'm wondering if others are having the same problem. Let's say I'm doing 55 on a highway, and I have it in 6th. I need to change lanes, and traffic in the other lanes is moving much faster. I have tried everything -- downshifting before changing lanes, during lane changes, and afterwards. It still accelerates very poorly.

I noticed another post earlier where someone was having problems with the switches on the steering wheel not responding, or responding improperly. I have the same problem. Also, yesterday the radio volume would not respond (both on the steering wheel and the dial on dash) until I dug into the setting and started changing the volume for sync support. Then it started responding again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1970 View Post
Old 06-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #1938
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
When it comes down to it, it's piss poor programming. On the DCT when you hit the gas at let's say 2 third throttle it should downshift and friggen get going not fall on it's face. I would rather it engage firmly quickly into the appropriate gear and get moving. There's too much bs algorithms going on .
Old 06-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #1939
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostinger View Post
When it comes down to it, it's piss poor programming. On the DCT when you hit the gas at let's say 2 third throttle it should downshift and friggen get going not fall on it's face. I would rather it engage firmly quickly into the appropriate gear and get moving. There's too much bs algorithms going on .
I agree with this. 70% throttle and the car tries to accelerate in the currently selected gear. 80% throttle and the car downshifts twice . What gives?
Old 06-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #1940
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Just for kicks I searched Auto Trader for all 2012-213 Ford Focii w/DCT within a 25-mile radius of my zip code and it returned 26 vehicles. Many are under 20,000 miles.

The one I traded in earlier this month is the most expensive one on the list and it's competing against a couple of other Ti's with less miles. The asking price for one is about $1k less, and another is $3500 less.

In contrast, a search for all manual Focii within the same radius returned only 2 vehicles.

To those who bought the Focus with a manual transmission ya done did good! People seem to be hanging onto 'em.

Bookmarks & Social Networks