Heard my first rattle after a year and a half. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Hawktwoe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91129
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan 5spd SGM

FF Reputation: 1 Hawktwoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Heard my first rattle after a year and a half.

Had the car since November 2011. It started rattling in the left front around the dash or a-pillar. It took about a week to isolate it and drove me batty. The rattle was the was clear lens over the tach. It has about 26,000 miles. My dilemma is whether to take it to the dealership and risk misalignment and/or more squeaks and rattles, or attempt some type of "quick fix"

63 Galaxie 500XL fastback
94 FXSTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
spektrum2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109690
What I Drive: 2012 oxford White Hatch SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 spektrum2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawktwoe View Post
Had the car since November 2011. It started rattling in the left front around the dash or a-pillar. It took about a week to isolate it and drove me batty. The rattle was the was clear lens over the tach. It has about 26,000 miles. My dilemma is whether to take it to the dealership and risk misalignment and/or more squeaks and rattles, or attempt some type of "quick fix"
Try wedging in a tinnie tiny little strip of that that rubberized non slip matting,Its tacky enough to stay put.Poke around with a thin piece of plastic sheet to estimate how big of piece you'll need.I have a vibration I have to track down now thats its warming up.The cars stayed quieter then the 2010 focus though so I'm happy with that.

PS. (make it fairly long even if its only .010 thick)
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Focus805
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90582
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass SEL HB 300A

FF Reputation: 1 Focus805 Good Standing Member
I have the exact same rattle. I'm living with it at 24k miles. I refuse to go to the dealer because they will either deny or screw it up.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Chefocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100478
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Chefocus Good Standing Member
I have a rattle in the slider that covers the sunroof. I think one of the clips holding the headliner in place might be loose, but I haven't really poked around up there yet.

It only happens when it's closed.

Dictated but not read.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Dave75
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Sliver SE 201A 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Dave75 Good Standing Member
I've noticed that my car has a rattle/vibration coming from the engine area towards the passenger side of the car. It's more of a loud vibrating sound that's only there when I start the car up, especially in the morning and when the car is stopped at a light shortly after I get going. After 5 min of driving, the sound is gone. I can't seem to pin point what is causing this rattle/vibration. Anyone else have this issue or know what might be the problem?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
spektrum2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109690
What I Drive: 2012 oxford White Hatch SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 spektrum2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave75 View Post
I've noticed that my car has a rattle/vibration coming from the engine area towards the passenger side of the car. It's more of a loud vibrating sound that's only there when I start the car up, especially in the morning and when the car is stopped at a light shortly after I get going. After 5 min of driving, the sound is gone. I can't seem to pin point what is causing this rattle/vibration. Anyone else have this issue or know what might be the problem?
Ok mines a 2012 and I have a grinding vibration on start up and a short distance of driving.As it turns out its the Advance Trac Page 268 2012 (manual) Quote
"When Advance Trac performs a normal system self-check,some drivers may notice a slight movement of the brake,and/or a rumble/grunting,or grinding noise after startup and when driving off."

It sounds horrendous and was about to go to see about it untill I read that,its identical everytime so thats consistant with a self check routine.Anyway that might be what your hearing as well.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawktwoe View Post
Had the car since November 2011. It started rattling in the left front around the dash or a-pillar...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus805 View Post
I have the exact same rattle...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefocus View Post
I have a rattle in the slider that covers the sunroof. I think one of the clips holding the headliner in place might be loose, but I haven't really poked around up there yet...
Quote:
I've noticed that my car has a rattle/vibration coming from the engine area towards the passenger side of the car. It's more of a loud vibrating sound that's only there when I start the car up, especially in the morning and when the car is stopped at a light shortly after I get going...
Hi everyone,

A great first step is getting your concern documented and inspected at your dealership. Additionally, I can assist by getting your case into the hands of your regional customer service managers. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll take care of the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektrum2 View Post
Ok mines a 2012 and I have a grinding vibration on start up and a short distance of driving.As it turns out its the Advance Trac Page 268 2012 (manual) Quote
"When Advance Trac performs a normal system self-check,some drivers may notice a slight movement of the brake,and/or a rumble/grunting,or grinding noise after startup and when driving off."

It sounds horrendous and was about to go to see about it untill I read that,its identical everytime so thats consistant with a self check routine.Anyway that might be what your hearing as well.
Thanks for the great suggestion, spektrum2!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Dave75
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektrum2 View Post

Thanks for the reply Spektrum2! I think this may be the issue because it is consistent everytime I start my car up and then the vibration sound goes away shortly after. I will keep you posted if I find anything out of the ordinary.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
Dave75
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi everyone,

A great first step is getting your concern documented and inspected at your dealership. Additionally, I can assist by getting your case into the hands of your regional customer service managers. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll take care of the rest.

Thanks for the great suggestion, spektrum2!

Crystal
Thanks for your reply Crystal! At the moment it doesn't seem to be anything major. I will PM you if the issue gets worse.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Thanks for your reply Crystal! At the moment it doesn't seem to be anything major. I will PM you if the issue gets worse.
Sounds good, Dave75! I'll be here if you need my assistance.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks