Another fan resistor/overheat thread ...maybe a twist? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
miazda
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103761
What I Drive: 03 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 miazda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Another fan resistor/overheat thread ...maybe a twist?

I know there's been thread after thread about it, I searched and read through every one I can find.

So my 03 svt overheated today, about 72* warmest day of the year, ran a/c for a bit. Noticed the a/c wasn't really cold at idle, but got drastically cooler when driving. Was pulling up to my house going kinda slow (15mph) in 1st and noticed the temp gauge at 3/4 and oil temp gauge pegging hot.

Now from searching I know that the oil gauge is kind of a dummy, and have found a few other accounts of folks with this same symptom and usual culprit being to replace the radiator fan resistor. I have no issue with this diagnosis.

However my 2 problems are this, I have only one fan running the left (driver's) side one and it sounds as though it's running on high only. The right side fan does not come on at all.

Problem 2: Ummmm previous owner removed? the fan resistor and I can't find the wiring pigtail that goes to it. I've found online you can buy one with the pigtail and I hear the ford dealer sells it. But where does it plug in? I can't seem to find any missing plug, no taped up obvious cut anywhere, kinda baffled. I found this picture on a different thread....

Picture of a resistor with pigtail, but where does that connect?

^My fan wiring don't seem to route that way. At least as much as there doesn't seem to be a pigtail to run the resistor. The fans have their own connection each, neither seems melty or a problem visually.

I tried to take pictures as best as you can. All of these are looking down from the top. Yes I know it's filthy, pacific NW car....

This is where the resistor pack should go methinks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,059, Level 27
Points: 2,059, Level: 27 Points: 2,059, Level: 27 Points: 2,059, Level: 27
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 88 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Ah, the joys of fixing other people's "repairs"...
The fan resistor wiring pigtail does not fit into any plug. (I'm not sure why the plug you have there has bullet connectors affixed to the ends. Usually it comes from Motorcraft with simple chopped off wires.) Anyway, you need to dive into the wiring harness in the vicinity of the resistor "housing" in the rad - remove some tape, peel back the plastic heat shielding etc and look for two cut wires; one green/white and one green/blue. A new resistor should attach to these. The wiring plug "end" should be the resistor itself, if you get my drift, so some wire splicing will be required to restore the harness back to normal.

Since your other cooling fan doesn't work, the previous owner may have chopped the wiring all the way back at the wiring harness junction where the second fan gets power. Look for a green/orange wire.

Which leads to the obvious question...what problem was the original owner trying to fix in the first place?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
miazda
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
Ah, the joys of fixing other people's "repairs"...
F#@$ING RIGHT?!?!! Every single thing the previous owner touched has come back to haunt me. The unaltered bits of the car have been basically perfect for 11k miles so far. Some people have no business working on cars.

Quote:
The fan resistor wiring pigtail does not fit into any plug. (I'm not sure why the plug you have there has bullet connectors affixed to the ends. Usually it comes from Motorcraft with simple chopped off wires.) Anyway, you need to dive into the wiring harness in the vicinity of the resistor "housing" in the rad - remove some tape, peel back the plastic heat shielding etc and look for two cut wires; one green/white and one green/blue. A new resistor should attach to these. The wiring plug "end" should be the resistor itself, if you get my drift, so some wire splicing will be required to restore the harness back to normal.
Ok, I ordered the part from ford this morning. It should arrive tomorrow morning and I'll do that. I looked around already for about 10 minutes but didn't find any chopped wires. I don't mind splicing to fix it.

Quote:
Since your other cooling fan doesn't work, the previous owner may have chopped the wiring all the way back at the wiring harness junction where the second fan gets power. Look for a green/orange wire.

Which leads to the obvious question...what problem was the original owner trying to fix in the first place?
Both fans seem to be connected, but I'll trace them back to see if there was damage. Actually, I suppose before I do that I'll try to hook up power manually to make sure it isn't a dead fan. Assuming the fan works, I get the resistor spliced back in, and don't find damaged wires up the pike, would I then start looking at relays?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,221, Level 35
Points: 3,221, Level: 35 Points: 3,221, Level: 35 Points: 3,221, Level: 35
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It may later be helpful to know that both fans normally run at the same time and speed, both will be on low speed, or both will be at high speed.

Looking at the pic higher up, if you don't have both those C133 and C134 connectors laying around loose I'd be looking for the other fan leads inside the plastic harness cover around where the 14K733 arrow is pointing to, they are bound to be buried in there somewhere. Follow the fan power wires back into the harness, they are bound to lead you to the butchered area unless entirely new standalone wires were run.................
Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Points 2,059, Level 27
Level Up 40% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by miazda View Post
Actually, I suppose before I do that I'll try to hook up power manually to make sure it isn't a dead fan. Assuming the fan works, I get the resistor spliced back in, and don't find damaged wires up the pike, would I then start looking at relays?
I'd do as you suggest and test both the fans first by putting 12V directly to each. Once you get the harness "restored", I'd see where you're at but if the fans still fail to work normally, the relays should be on your list of things to check. If you want a wiring schematic, send a pm; it'd be hard work trying to figure out the proper wiring without one, especially one that's been butchered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
It may later be helpful to know that both fans normally run at the same time and speed, both will be on low speed, or both will be at high speed.

Looking at the pic higher up, if you don't have both those C133 and C134 connectors laying around loose I'd be looking for the other fan leads inside the plastic harness cover around where the 14K733 arrow is pointing to, they are bound to be buried in there somewhere. Follow the fan power wires back into the harness, they are bound to lead you to the butchered area unless entirely new standalone wires were run.................
^ x 2. I can't see anyone who cuts the factory harness running standalone wires but you can never be sure. The one saving grace is there isn't too much wiring in that area (behind the rad) except for fan wiring. (The ps pressure sensor lead being the exception) so it should theoretically be easier to sort out.

Last edited by BC_ZX3; 04-02-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,221, Level 35
Points: 3,221, Level: 35 Points: 3,221, Level: 35 Points: 3,221, Level: 35
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yeah, once they go off the deep end, all bets are off and you gotta assume they went WAY off the deep end. Some of the things I've seen under a hood have been utterly flabbergasting. One time was trying to sell a voltage regulator to some guy who was trying to snow me with all his 'knowledge' (if that's what you want to call it), arguing about whether the VR would fix his problem. Somewhere in there I made the offer to look under the hood. He had a pile of stripped from the harness wires, many bare for inches and able to freely touch each other, my first thought was this is a 3 stooges movie, or, I'm on candid camera, the pile of tangled up wire was like 6 inches deep. Wires hand twisted together everywhere, all subject to the elements. You could've knocked me over with a feather. When I suggested that might be part of his problem he dismissed it instantly saying he totally knew what he was doing and I was insulting him. He had his other VR simply laying on the wires, no VR external case ground on it at all, and then I swung around and saw he was running an alt with another internal VR, he was running two VRs in the same system! needless to say, after that I quickly pissed him off to get him to go pester that 'other parts chain' for awhile.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
miazda
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

^I wouldn't quite say the car, or the offending "mechanic" went off the deep end. But yeah this is irritating for sure. I get the part here in about an hour and will report back. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
miazda
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ok so got the parts. Disconnected the short sub harness for each fan and removed them from the car. There's no cuts in either one. Deloomed the harness back to its junction under the battery and find no cuts again. Ummmmm. I don't know what to think. I did power both fans and both function.

So what do I do? Cut known good harness to install this thing?

So this is the one that connects to the right (passenger, currently not working) fan. It's wire color if you can't tell is green with blue stripe. The plug, which I don't entirely understand only has 1 wire, yet connects to a fan with 2 wires on it's sub-harness.

This is the connection/plug for the right side (driver's, works but only on high). It has 2 wires one green with white stripe as described above. Tough to see in the pictures but I de-loomed both back as far as I could under the battery where they split off the main harness.

Anyone willing to snap a picture of where the darn thing is wired on your car? Sure feels like I'm missing something.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Points 2,059, Level 27
Level Up 40% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
There are a couple of factory "splices" in that area S137, S138, S109. I think that's what that odd plug is - green/blue "in", green/yellow and green/orange "out" (to each fan motor). I think you're missing the green/blue wire that should go to the resistor (the empty socket in your pic 2).

pm replied. Hopefully the diagrams will clear things up a bit.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
miazda
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Hey Paul, thanks for those diagrams! Unfortunately that just opens up all sorts of questions and confusion. I just can't grasp why or where the wires I should have are. I'm real leery to cut the harness, and the wires supplied with the motorcraft part aren't even long enough to splice where they'd need to be (green and white wire, specifically). Just really baffled.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.