Timing tool stuck! - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
been there done that. i forgot to remove it when I was done and cranked the engine... DOH! Bent that sucker flat against the block. that was a major pita...
you'll have to remove the oil pan, crank gear, cover behind crank gear, block girdle, then you can get at it.
Hopefully you bought the aluminum timing pin which is hardened and will snap off after bending one way, turning, then the other.
if its steel you're going to have to figure out which way it needs to be bent and bend it so you can screw it out without messing up the threads in the block.
long nose vise grips are going to be needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Aha! the infamous crank pulley.....

Good BIG air wrench is useful there!

Some manage with just a strap wrench to hold the pulley & a breaker bar for the bolt...

Some have recommended bracing the breaker bar then "bumping" the starter to break it loose - This idea sounds a bit scary......

There IS a "trick" to lock the engine from turning in one direction if the strap wrench & the impact won't do it (but I'd try a BIG impact first...). By backing the engine from TDC #1 a bit, you can slide a piece of rope down the plug hole then ease the piston back towards TDC. If it stops firmly before TDC you've got enough rope in there to stop the piston and let you use the breaker bar on that bolt to loosen it. Snug it up again enough to get the rope out & return it to the proper position before final removal. (you can turn the engine with the cams if needed, but the bottom pulley before removal is better)
Old 04-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #13
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I do it before taking the accessory belt off using just a breaker bar and socket, just give it a few quick tugs and its free, then remove the belt.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #14
Deus Machina
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100167
What I Drive: 2000 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Deus Machina Good Standing Member
...Why didn't I think of that first. Just like pulling the water pump pulley.

Chris, I meant the crank pulley. The belt cover won't come off without removing it.

Yeah, I'll be digging into this tomorrow. Would be nice to drive to class on Tuesday instead of walking a mile to the nearest bus stop...
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #15
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
These things usually go smoothly, as GreenEnvy mentioned. A REALLY stuck one doesn't happen very often or we'd hear about it more....

Hope the rest of the project goes easier for you!

Last edited by sailor; 04-01-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Add
Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #16
Deus Machina
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Also, I'm unfamiliar with the 'girdle'. Is it basically just unbolting stuff from the bottom until I can see inside?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #17
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
The girdle is the aluminum center case or windage tray between the iron block and steel oil pan. In the '60s they were referred to as block girdles. I'm OLDDDDDDDDDD...........
Old 04-01-2013, 04:59 AM   #18
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Another member did this last year with the tool from massive and snapped in off in the block.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #19
Deus Machina
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ahhh, okay. So basically it's just unbolt oil pan, unbolt whatever's above the oil pan, until I can see the pin.

I really wish it had snapped off. At least then I could unscrew it, then just take off the pan and fish the piece out.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #20
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Heck it may be snapped off. Will bend first to seize up and then breaks. Odds are the threads almost always bend or deform slightly right at the hole edge since force is applied there. Meaning most will not simply screw out when bent and then broken. Be d-mn odd if it screwed right out.

I'd pull bottom steel pan and then, using like a strong small Maglite, look up in either the last slot or the big hole in the bottom of the girdle, you may well see the pin and its' condition, if broke off then you can try to fish out the piece with magnet and maybe save yanking the aluminum girdle. Hope you like oil in your hair, it'll be like Brylcream in the '60s! If you found the broken piece I'd simply leave the broken pin remaining in the hole and tighten it to not leak. Make sure it clears the crank swing if you can see in there. Could save a bunch'a work. if you have to pull girdle, don't pull crank pulley, or damper, or timing stuff, or oil pump, I think you can do it without doing that. The oil pump pickup tube will have to unbolt but you'll see that.

Brylcream, a little dab'll do yah, Brycream the girls're gonna luv ya....................................

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->