2001 focus zx3 manual trans clunking barely engages - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #41
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Fan#: 109390
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2002 Focus ZX3 Dark Shadow Gray

Posts: 128
Points 369, Level 7
Points: 369, Level: 7 Points: 369, Level: 7 Points: 369, Level: 7
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 FoMoCus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well I got the whole thing reassembled with the exception of battery and tray, as I'm going to bleed the clutch today. Unfortunately it's Easter and of course Sunday, so the dealership is closed and the auto parts stores around here don't carry a synthetic manual trans fluid that will work with the mtx-75... so I guess I'm stuck for another day. I could probably get away with a synthetic ATF, as it appears that's what was in it before, but I might as well do it once and do it right. I went ahead and put new struts on the front while I had it apart, and replaced the lower transmission mount. So this thing should be tip top once I get the fluid changed. My goal was to have it going this weekend though, I'm disappointed this fluid isn't easier to track down.
FoMoCus is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #42
sailor
Crankshaft
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57268
Location: Williamsville, NY
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Posts: 16,558
Points 11,780, Level 71
Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Worth it to "Hurry Up & Wait", as the stock trans fluid isn't an ATF type....
sailor is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #43
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 92148
Location: Austin, TX
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

Posts: 144
FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCus View Post
Well I got the whole thing reassembled with the exception of battery and tray, as I'm going to bleed the clutch today. Unfortunately it's Easter and of course Sunday, so the dealership is closed and the auto parts stores around here don't carry a synthetic manual trans fluid that will work with the mtx-75... so I guess I'm stuck for another day. I could probably get away with a synthetic ATF, as it appears that's what was in it before, but I might as well do it once and do it right. I went ahead and put new struts on the front while I had it apart, and replaced the lower transmission mount. So this thing should be tip top once I get the fluid changed. My goal was to have it going this weekend though, I'm disappointed this fluid isn't easier to track down.
Synthetic ATF? Well, whatever you choose: Make sure it's at least DOT 3 or DOT 4 compliant (recommended: Super DOT 4 for MTX-75's).

I'd quote the 2001 Ford Focus manual, but, I'm sure you could just as easily look it up.

Pretty much EVERY auto-parts store I know of carries one of those three.
Oblivion is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #44
sailor
Crankshaft
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57268
Location: Williamsville, NY
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Posts: 16,558
Points 11,780, Level 71
Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Read too fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Synthetic ATF? Well, whatever you choose: Make sure it's at least DOT 3 or DOT 4 compliant (recommended: Super DOT 4 for MTX-75's).

I'd quote the 2001 Ford Focus manual, but, I'm sure you could just as easily look it up.

Pretty much EVERY auto-parts store I know of carries one of those three.
Thinking ONE of us read too fast oblivion, while he mentioned bleeding the clutch I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to getting the right fluid to refill the transmission....
sailor is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #45
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 92148
Location: Austin, TX
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

Posts: 144
FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Thinking ONE of us read too fast oblivion, while he mentioned bleeding the clutch I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to getting the right fluid to refill the transmission....
I disagree. He made no mention of the gearbox fluid. He specifically said "bleeding."

Quote:
as I'm going to bleed the clutch today. Unfortunately it's Easter [today] and of course Sunday
According to the owner's manual: Mercon ATF (Ford part number: XT-2-QDX) is what you're supposed to use (2001 Ford Focus).
Oblivion is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #46
sailor
Crankshaft
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57268
Location: Williamsville, NY
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Posts: 16,558
Points 11,780, Level 71
Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Easy there! I was putting my comment politely, as opposed to telling you that you were mistaken!

The Synthetic fluid to refill the transmission, as mentioned by the OP, would be Ford Synthetic Manual Transmission fluid - Mercon ATF would be for an automatic, not an MTX-75.

DOT 3 or 4 you mentioned would refer to brake fluid for the clutch bleeding, ATF wouldn't be involved there at all!

Cheers!
sailor is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #47
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 92148
Location: Austin, TX
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

Posts: 144
FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Easy there! I was putting my comment politely, as opposed to telling you that you were mistaken!

The Synthetic fluid to refill the transmission, as mentioned by the OP, would be Ford Synthetic Manual Transmission fluid - Mercon ATF would be for an automatic, not an MTX-75.

DOT 3 or 4 you mentioned would refer to brake fluid for the clutch bleeding, ATF wouldn't be involved there at all!

Cheers!
I was also politely replying.

No. Mercon ATF is for the MTX-75, IB-5, and Automatic. Have you not read the owner's manual ever before?
ATF (automatic transmission fluid) is only a DOT (department of transportation) fluid. They are nothing different.
You use ATF fluid (Mercon IV?) for your power steering fluid. If you want to refer to it as DOT fluid: Be my guest.
XT-2-QDX (Mercon ATF) is your "power steering" fluid on a Ford Focus.

The brake / clutch fluid share the same reservoir externally. They have individual components though.
Bleeding the brakes will inevitably bleed the clutch as well. But bleeding the clutch alone will not affect the brakes.

ATF (DOT fluid) is what you use for brake / clutch fluid.
Oblivion is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #48
sailor
Crankshaft
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57268
Location: Williamsville, NY
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Posts: 16,558
Points 11,780, Level 71
Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
I was also politely replying.

No. Mercon ATF is for the MTX-75, IB-5, and Automatic. Have you not read the owner's manual ever before?
ATF (automatic transmission fluid) is only a DOT (department of transportation) fluid. They are nothing different.
You use ATF fluid (Mercon IV?) for your power steering fluid. If you want to refer to it as DOT fluid: Be my guest.
XT-2-QDX (Mercon ATF) is your "power steering" fluid on a Ford Focus.

The brake / clutch fluid share the same reservoir externally. They have individual components though.
Bleeding the brakes will inevitably bleed the clutch as well. But bleeding the clutch alone will not affect the brakes.

ATF (DOT fluid) is what you use for brake / clutch fluid.
1. By the time my '04 was built, Ford was using the Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid I mentioned as the Factory Fill. Yes, it's described as such in the owner's manual. This is the fluid commonly recommended here for this transmission over "experimenting" with other brands & types since it's been proven to work well.

2.ATF is a DOT fluid? Please explain how ATF & brake fluid are not different.

3.Yes, I use Mercon ATF for my power steering. hadn't referred to it at all!

4. Bleeding either clutch OR brakes will not affect the other, as long as the shared reservoir is kept filled. Clutch WILL "suck air" first if the fluid level is too low, by design you loose clutch B4 you loose brakes in the case of low brake fluid.

5. Good luck if you want to use ATF for brake/clutch fluid, they aren't compatible!

Last edited by sailor; 04-01-2013 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Sp
sailor is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #49
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI
 
whynotthinkwhynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Fan#: 18416
Location: the armpit of TN, Memphis, TN
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Posts: 20,268
Points 27,528, Level 98
Points: 27,528, Level: 98 Points: 27,528, Level: 98 Points: 27,528, Level: 98
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Y'all need to leave that alone. I've seen a lot of disparity between fluids that people use in the MTX on here. Some people use synthetic ATF, some people use synthetic 75w gear oil. Of course, there are those who use all sorts of stuff made by aftermarket companies, and then there are those that use Ford synthetic manual transmission fluids like the one recommended for my transmission.

In my 9 years or so on this site, I have not known of one MTX failure due to improper fluid fill. That's just FYI, ok. I'm not trying to get some sort of freaking oil controversy started on here. We have plenty of those threads if you search.
__________________
Be eclectic.
---The Complete How-To Archive--

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
whynotthinkwhynot is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #50
sailor
Crankshaft
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57268
Location: Williamsville, NY
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Posts: 16,558
Points 11,780, Level 71
Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yah, makes sense - didn't want to start another oil debate!

Got worried about ATF = Brake Fluid though....

Cheers!
sailor is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat