New (used) Instrument Cluster Question(s) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
PLRX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16768
What I Drive: 2003 - ZX5 - 5 Spd - 2.3 Duratec

FF Reputation: 1 PLRX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New (used) Instrument Cluster Question(s)

Finally after almost two years I fixed the damn engine light. There were no codes, but it would stay on (50%) at all times. Even with the car off, and key off the ignition.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263995

I bought an used cluster, it is working fine. It is the same part number so no programming was needed.

This cluster has 118,000 less miles than the Focus' original cluster. I'm not planning on selling the car, and likely it has no street value with 224,000 miles.

I live in California, and I have to SMOG this year. The mileage is recorded, and it will be easily noticeable.

Will this be an issue with DMV?

Can the new odometer be programmed to display the old mileage?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
gondorian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105695
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SE Wagon 5spd Zetec

FF Reputation: 7 gondorian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Some ford dealers will program it for you and others will not. Sometimes they want you to buy a cluster from them in order to program it. If the no code is being thrown and it is just the light on the dash you could try removing the light bulb for the CEL when you go through smog and use your old cluster.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
PLRX
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondorian View Post
Some ford dealers will program it for you and others will not. Sometimes they want you to buy a cluster from them in order to program it. If the no code is being thrown and it is just the light on the dash you could try removing the light bulb for the CEL when you go through smog and use your old cluster.
The "new" one is installed. Those bulbs are LED, hey can not be removed. I feel better now, that thing drove me nuts.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
Alptbird
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109943
What I Drive: 2008 focus sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Alptbird Good Standing Member
Not sure in California but in Texas, yes it will be an issue a big one. Like gondorian said the dealer will program it with the proper mileage but they will want the old one in the car for proper milage so they can install the new gauge and program it with the proper mileage.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
PLRX
Focus Enthusiast

I'm going to gamble on this. If DMV calls me, I've documented the old and new mileage. I don't intent to sell this car. It has more value to me than any book or lemon lot. It has 224K miles, turns 10 years in two weeks, and I'm the original on only owner.

I went to a dealer to see a new ST. The car has 250 HP, great looking, but the interiors are uncomfortable. I think those RECARO seats are for 125 pounders.

I can buy a rem engine for $2,000, and perhaps it would last 10 more years. LOL
Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Google 'instrument cluster repair' or 'airbag module repair'. You will find individuals that repair/reprogram/and set odometer mileage for replacement clusters.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
PLRX
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_2000_se View Post
Google 'instrument cluster repair' or 'airbag module repair'. You will find individuals that repair/reprogram/and set odometer mileage for replacement clusters.
I may do that. Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
In the mechanical speedo days, a replacement speedo came with a sticker to note the mileage from the one that was removed to be added to the new speedo's in order to determine total mileage.....

"Revealing" the actual mileage in such a manner should cover your butt. Just record the difference as if that was the mileage when the "new" one was installed and it'll be easy to figure the current actual miles....
Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
PLRX
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
In the mechanical speedo days, a replacement speedo came with a sticker to note the mileage from the one that was removed to be added to the new speedo's in order to determine total mileage.....

"Revealing" the actual mileage in such a manner should cover your butt. Just record the difference as if that was the mileage when the "new" one was installed and it'll be easy to figure the current actual miles....
Thats what I did
Old 04-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
KCaudill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46826
What I Drive: 2006 Tredour Red ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 1 KCaudill Good Standing Member
You may want to get the milage more closer than 118k in difference. If you have a minor fender bender, it could be the difference of total and not total. Here in Ohio there is lots of red tape concerning odometer tampering. I switched out my cluster with on that had a tach, found a place online talked to them and only cost my $200 with next day shipping cluster to them, resetting milage, and next day shipping back. It was well worth it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks