experience Needed transmission, throttle body, troubles? (This is long) - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Have you checked to see what DTCs are appearing- if any? Perhaps the problem is not the transmission, but just seems to be. Maybe the reason it is surging without power once you come to a stop the first time is because the idle is simply not high enough. Your symptoms are typical TPS symptoms. I doubt that a TBS of 69k or 34k miles would be bad, but it certainly isn't unheard of. Can you verify that the part is a factory part, and what that factory part number is. It seems strange that your engine was swapped without swapping the transmission at the same time. IMO it would've been worth the shop's time to swap both from a wrecked vehicle, then sell trans from the car whether the customer wanted to pay extra for it or not. It would certainly save labor to remove both as a single unit. Then again, I've been wondering WTF most people are thinking these days anyway- stupidity seems globally rampant. Another explanation is that the donor vehicle was a MT, and if that is the case, then the TB would have to be swapped from the old engine or it wouldn't hook up to the AT. Have you verified that you have an AT TB installed? On an 09, it should have 2 cables attached- one for Cruise, and one for the kickdown linkage.

OH crap, that reminds me..... you have the freaking electric TB. Your TB could be the problem. We have seen that several times and it is more likely to happen earlier on in the car's life.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
Alptbird
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109943
What I Drive: 2008 focus sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Alptbird Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I should probably include that the engine was put in 3 months ago. And has been running fine till the initial issue of the transmission not down shifting to 2nd when slowing to make a turn. That spurred on the solenoid swap. Also to reference your engine and trans question. I purchased the engine prepulled so I had to use my transmission. When I got this car it had a blown motor. So far I have nursed this thing back to health. And then the trans gave me fits. And here we are. As for the throttle body I ordered one 3 weeks ago and they are on national back order till may. Good thing the focus isn't my daily driver.

As for other tests that I can do I haven't had the opportunity to do any of it yet. Easter apparently I have to do stuff with family.... :(

Edit: no codes showing I check every chance i get or test drive of 15 min or more
Old 03-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
Alptbird
Focus Enthusiast

Update

Ok... Update time. I replaced solenoid "D" like I was suspecting. No dice. Same problem. The only improvement I did gain was when I duplicated the issue I didn't repeat once I lifted the first time. If I lifted then put my foot down againit went fine. BUT... Now when it it lurching.... I decide to put my foot down.... I am trying to figure if it is a throttle body issue.... Well no rpm build up just the same little surge.... Let off the gas.... Then put into the gas we are one our way again. Beginning to think it is the throttle body. But I will have to wait for 2 weeks before I have a chance to check the theory.
I just can't understand why I am not getting any codes!!!! No check engine lights nothing. Agrivating
Old 04-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
Alptbird
Focus Enthusiast

update again

New throttle body has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took the time during lunch to run home and install it in the car ten minute no sweat.

Took it out for a drive after having reset the computer. Just incase.

and the throttle was WAY more Crisp! But.... Still having the problem.
so to re cap....

Solenoids changed in Transmission, Throttle body changed, New air intake removed and stock replaced E-con programmer removed and still can't drive down the road stop and pull away without the car bucking. but if i pull it out of gear it works fine or if i lift from the throttle and then re- engage throttle it works fine again until the next stop?

Is it maybe a control module issue? or maybe the whole Valve body needs to be replaced? I have a hard time believing the Transmission as a whole is bad. I don't feel it binding or hear any grinding. and it doesnt slip anymore thats for sure. it just has that surge.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
Alptbird
Focus Enthusiast

Ben Stein- "Anyone....Anyone"
Old 04-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #16
Alptbird
Focus Enthusiast

Final update.... I got it!!!!!

FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!

Faulty brand new solenoid! It would not allow a down shift out of fourth when coming to a stop. solenoid "A" would not dis engage all the way it was sticky...

This valve body education was worth learning but I am happy I can drive my car again!

Now I can get to mods!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Hooray!

Tx for posting the update, knowing the outcome could help someone else PLUS earlier posters aren't left wondering what happened.

Bad new part can make you run in circles B4 figuring it out, and having to dive back into the tranny is the LAST thing you want to do... PITA!

Cheers to you for gettin' 'er done!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Yes, thanks for the update, proof even brand new parts can be faulty!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
doesn't surprise me one bit. New parts, even OEM for the past year have been junk. In fact, a few months ago I had a seized compressor new in the box.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics

Bookmarks & Social Networks