New USA bound diesels? - Page 18 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #171
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinstall View Post
KJ CRD's sold out in the first 6 months.

GC CRD sold as soon as they got on the lot. People that bought then knew you could take them to a MB dealer and get them worked on, unlike the KJ CRD.

If you two spent more time monitoring what is being said at the auto shows and less time on here, you might find this information floating around. Things are said all the time at auto shows and you have to keep your eats open more than your eyes, to hear the tidbits that go flying on accident. Like the Ford 2.0L TDCi while the Transit E 3.2 TDCi was being announced at the NAIAS a few weeks back. Hell even Subaru makes a boxer diesel for the last 5 years. Even motorcycle manufacturers are looking to go to diesel. You can't make organic gasoline but you sure can make organic diesel and J4, ask the US Air Force.
What I do or don't monitor is hardly any of your business, but I digress. I don't know what part of the country all those CRDs sold out in months, because in Minneapolis the Jeep dealers had leftover CRDs, and Minnesota is a fairly diesel-friendly state. I also call BS on your MB dealer assertion with regards to Grand Cherokee CRDs, I can't see the same MB dealers who refused to work on Freightliner or Dodge-badged Sprinters magically working on Grand Cherokees.

It doesn't matter who announces what, what matters is what people actually buy.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #172
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

Points 2,744, Level 31
Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You are only talking about YOUR area you have to look at the BIG picture, NATION WIDE SALES. This is something I have been envolved with since 2005, not the past couple of weeks. Every MB dealer I spoke with said they would be more than happy to service a CG CRD if I purchased one. The KJ sales were great until owners started finding out the techs were not actually trained to work on the VM motors but were sat down with a 45min video and given a test booklet to certify them. I posses one of the test booklets, but not the video, yet. Having a "certified" tech work on my KJ CRD and their lack of proper training has cost me thousands of $ over the past 16 months. I'm one of the few that has taken a huge hit on poorly trained 5-star techs. GC CRD's and KJ CRD's rarely stay for sale in the classifieds for mire than 30 days, ones that do normally have an accident attached to them or people are asking way too much money for them.

True about supply and demand, there are plenty of folks out there wanting more diesel options and willing to pay for it. I for one and waiting on the Ram 1500 CRD and the local dealer knows this and will let me know when they start to arrive. They are also going to call me when they get thie first delivery of the CG CRD's as well even though they know I do not like the seating position of the GC and I will not be in the market for one. It would not surprise me if OPsDad even ventured out to check out the new Dodge Ram 1500 CRD to heal his wounds form the V8 PS he has sitting in his drive. I know my dad wil be looking at one as well since he is tired of getting 8-9mpg on his 07 Ram 1500 sport when towing and 18-20mpg when not towing. The first being the only reason he purchased it.
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers
Old 03-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #173
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Points 2,744, Level 31
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
Another article pointing in the direction of more diesels being R&D for the US market. Mirroring what I have been saying for the past 2 years. Not because I am psychic but because I read and listen.

"Ram is not the only half-ton pickup manufacturer to explore diesel power trains for vehicles in this segment, but they will be the first to deliver.

General Motors has reportedly been evaluating and considering this option for their new 2014 GMC Sierra and 2014 Chevrolet Silverado. Toyota and Nissan are very likely also considering adding diesel to their power train options for their recently announced 2014 Toyota Tundra and 2015 Nissan Titan full-size pickup trucks.

With Ram stepping out and challenging the segment with their new EcoDiesel, market leader Ford will be watching, but they are likely to stay with their very successful line of EcoBoost engines in the F-150 line. Ford is offering a new 3.2-liter diesel in their 2014 Transit vehicle, which could very likely be adapted for use in the F-150, if needed, to meet the competition"
Old 03-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #174
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Points 2,744, Level 31
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
Good news for A8 folks:

"Audi will set the price of the 2014 A8L TDI luxury sedan at $83,395, including an $895 destination charge, the automaker said on Thursday. The addition of this vehicle gives the four-ringed marque a total of five A8 variants.

The diesel A8L uses a turbocharged 3.0-liter engine that makes only 240 hp, but kicks out a very diesel-like 406 lb-ft of torque. The EPA rates the vehicle at 24 mpg in the city and 36 on the highway. The 0 to 60 mph sprint takes a respectable 6.4 seconds to complete.

Rearranged for 2014 is the Premium option package, which now includes the Audi side-assist blind-spot detection system, pre-sense rear safety system, 22-way multicontour seats, front seat ventilation with massage and full LED headlights.

The diesel will join a supercharged V6, two V8s and the W12 motor in the A8 and S8 lineup. The TDI will only be offered in the long-wheelbase version.

The price puts the diesel A8L just above the 2013 BMW 740i xDrive but well below the Mercedes S350 BlueTEC diesel.

The 2014 Audi A8L TDI will go on sale in early spring.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...#ixzz2P3R7CTzJ
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook"
Old 03-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #175
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Points 2,744, Level 31
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
By: Andrew Stoy on 2/14/2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autoweek in review: Geneva previews, IndyCar troubles and Ram goes diesel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 Ram 1500 diesel in the works

Porsche purchases Andial performance brand

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE long-term sedan review

2014 Chevrolet Cruze gets diesel version at Chicago Auto Show

2014 Audi A8L TDI priced at $83,395

It's ironic perhaps that I spent yesterday evening driving a Ford F-150 equipped with the excellent EcoBoost twin-turbo V6 engine. It's got loads of low-end torque and, on paper, its fuel economy is better than that of a comparable gas V8. It even sounds a bit like a diesel…but it isn't.

With Chrysler's official announcement Thursday that the Ram 1500 will be available later this year with a 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6, that might soon change. Until now Ford has eschewed small diesels for its turbocharged gasoline direct-injection strategy on its car and light-duty truck lines, citing the higher cost of diesel engines and uncertain customer demand. With no alternatives on the market, consumers have been snapping up the higher-cost, diesel-like EcoBoost V6 at a rate that even surprised Ford.

In the third quarter, however, Ram will offer those consumers the real thing. For lots of fiercely brand-loyal Ford and Chevy pickup buyers, the new diesel Ram will produce nothing but snide remarks and secret envy. But for thousands of buyers who have been awaiting an efficient, torquey half-ton diesel pickup, Ram just proved it's listening to their pleas and responding.

Pricing strategy will dictate how successful the Chrysler experiment is; if the diesel adds $10k to the price of a Ram 1500--a not uncommon upcharge for a diesel and the required uprated transmission on a heavy-duty pickup--it will remain a rarity and object of truck-buyer lust. But if Ram positions the new model at a slight premium like Ford has done with the EcoBoost F-150 (EcoBoost costs on average an extra $1000), the only remaining question will be whether they can keep up with demand.

The Warren Truck Plant that assembles Ram 1500 trucks seems to be ready: a leaked internal memo mentioning the diesel option also noted the plant was preparing for a record production year of 300,000+ units.

Some of those sales will come at the expense of Ford and Chevy, who are bound to pay a price in both dollars and reputation for underestimating diesel demand.

Get more car news, reviews and opinion every day: Sign up to have the Autoweek Daily Drive delivered right to your inbox

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...#ixzz2P3RWrf9R
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook
Old 03-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #176
Montag
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81977
What I Drive: 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Points 539, Level 10
Points: 539, Level: 10 Points: 539, Level: 10 Points: 539, Level: 10
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Montag Good Standing Member
I spent about a dozen years working as a diesel mechanic. I also spent a couple of years overseas where I drove several diesel Toyota Hiace vans and Hilux pickups on a regular basis, and I was impressed with them. If Toyota would import their small diesels, I would absolutely buy one.

However, I know from bitter experience that not all diesels are created equal. There are plenty of poorly designed and manufactured diesels out there, and they are invariably a lot more expensive to repair than gas engines. Our limited selection of consumer diesels here in the US seems to have more than its share of lemons. VW's eat high pressure fuel pumps and VW's in general are a nightmare to work on. Early Duramax's ate injectors. Various Powerstrokes have had major head gasket problems. Jeep Liberty diesels use a VM Motori engine that is known the world over or being a cheap piece of junk. The new Ram 1500 is going to use an updated version of this turd. GM has it long and storied history of making half-assed diesels, and I expect no less from the Cruze diesel. A Dodge/Ram with a Cummins or a newer GM Duramax are about the only good options we have, and they are way too big/thirsty/expensive for my tastes.

I would love to own a quality diesel in a reasonably sized vehicle for a reasonable price, but so far that hasn't been an option here, and I don't know if that's going to change. Right now I think Mazda's new diesel is potentially the best option we have, though it's too early to be sure.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #177
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinstall View Post
You are only talking about YOUR area you have to look at the BIG picture, NATION WIDE SALES. This is something I have been envolved with since 2005, not the past couple of weeks. Every MB dealer I spoke with said they would be more than happy to service a CG CRD if I purchased one. The KJ sales were great until owners started finding out the techs were not actually trained to work on the VM motors but were sat down with a 45min video and given a test booklet to certify them. I posses one of the test booklets, but not the video, yet. Having a "certified" tech work on my KJ CRD and their lack of proper training has cost me thousands of $ over the past 16 months. I'm one of the few that has taken a huge hit on poorly trained 5-star techs. GC CRD's and KJ CRD's rarely stay for sale in the classifieds for mire than 30 days, ones that do normally have an accident attached to them or people are asking way too much money for them.
A lot of words there. Two questions:

1. Are you saying MB dealers were willing to perform warranty work (that's when you don't pay) on diesel Grand Cherokees? This is a yes or no question.

2. If even Jeep techs only received a 45-minute video on the subject, how much Jeep training do you reckon MB techs received?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #178
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Points 2,744, Level 31
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
1. No-I never said anything about WARRANTY work.

2. MB mechanics go through an extensive MB schooling, some even get a paid school to Germany for specific training, like AMG certification.

Porsche Cayenne US Spec diesel.

Actual US spec dash
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #179
Missourileo
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

Points 5,210, Level 46
Points: 5,210, Level: 46 Points: 5,210, Level: 46 Points: 5,210, Level: 46
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
If I had the extra cash, I'd probably buy a used Leaf since those can be had for about what I could build an electric for myself.................

Yeah, but would you really want to be caught in one of those..........yuck. Japanimation at it's worst.
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM
Old 04-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #180
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag View Post
I spent about a dozen years working as a diesel mechanic. I also spent a couple of years overseas where I drove several diesel Toyota Hiace vans and Hilux pickups on a regular basis, and I was impressed with them. If Toyota would import their small diesels, I would absolutely buy one.

However, I know from bitter experience that not all diesels are created equal. There are plenty of poorly designed and manufactured diesels out there, and they are invariably a lot more expensive to repair than gas engines. Our limited selection of consumer diesels here in the US seems to have more than its share of lemons. VW's eat high pressure fuel pumps and VW's in general are a nightmare to work on. Early Duramax's ate injectors. Various Powerstrokes have had major head gasket problems. Jeep Liberty diesels use a VM Motori engine that is known the world over or being a cheap piece of junk. The new Ram 1500 is going to use an updated version of this turd. GM has it long and storied history of making half-assed diesels, and I expect no less from the Cruze diesel. A Dodge/Ram with a Cummins or a newer GM Duramax are about the only good options we have, and they are way too big/thirsty/expensive for my tastes.

I would love to own a quality diesel in a reasonably sized vehicle for a reasonable price, but so far that hasn't been an option here, and I don't know if that's going to change. Right now I think Mazda's new diesel is potentially the best option we have, though it's too early to be sure.
Couldn't agree more (well, except the VW "nightmare" comment, they are "different", but, I didn't have a problem working on mine), and I was a huge diesel fan, having owned no less than 10 versions of the VW TD and TDI models. (Ranging from a 1984 Golf 1.6 TD to my latest, 2006 Jetta TDi). Your view on the VM Motori engines is spot on, especially in our market, which is very diesel orientated (over 60% of VW's sold up here are diesel). I remember when the Jeep Liberty was finally offered with the 2.8 CRD, I actually convinced my father in law to buy one (he still hates me for that), since he had a 3.7 gasser that was a pig on fuel and gutless to boot. Well, as he and most owners quickly found out, that VM model R428 (2.8L DOHC 4 cylinder pos, which was really just a bored out 2.5L R425) was an absolute "dog", not only did it not provide the mpg numbers Chrysler was hoping for (most owners, my dad included, only saw an increase of 2-4mpg combined), but, it was very noisey (even for a diesel), and not "torquey" at all, as was promised. I saw MANY sit on Chrysler lots, both new, and used and dealers pratically having to give them away after a year or two.

Now I see the new 2014 Dodge Ram is also using a VM Motori engine, the A630 3.0L V6 model, I thought Chrysler would have learned their lesson, and stick with a more proven and reliable MB sourced diesel (at least from the public's viewpoint anyway), afterall, its all about "optics" and marketing.

I see that the Chevy Cruze is also a VM Motori design (the RA 420 2.0L DOHC), which has seen reasonable success in the EU, although Daewoo is building it for GM, so, that remains to be seen.

I think Montag is right, unless you can "prove" to NA consumers that the product has value, when there is "cheaper" alternatives already here in the form of direct injected gas motors, it will truly be a "hard sell". I absolutely loved owning and driving my TDI equipped cars over the years, but, when the combustion engine technology got much better, I slowly switched over to petrol again. I have also noticed that many of my TDI "bretheren" are starting to do the same, since it doesn't make sense finacially anymore.
Now, if our oil refineries in NA adapt thier methods for making fuel, much like referineries in overseas do now (ours are geared toward gasoline, with diesel oil being a "byproduct", since we sell more gas), that could change (cheap diesel at the pumps again). But, in order for that to happen, hundreds of refineries need hundreds of millions of dollars in upgrades, and you know that aint going to happen anytime soon.... jinstall, I think your predictions are both 15 years too late and 15 years too early at the same time.... time will tell though.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.