Driving from Toronto to Vancouver- 4,000+km - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Matt89
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97715
What I Drive: 2008 Metallic Blue Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 Matt89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Also can anyone recommend a GPS that isn't too expensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 8 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Smartphone?
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
Matt89
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
Smartphone?
I have one but I I'm pretty sure there I will be driving through no coverage zones. Also data is expensive lol
Old 03-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
torradan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25031
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4

FF Reputation: 7 torradan Good Standing Member
Not sure if you've left yet...but.. Yep, you'll be driving through no coverage areas in Manitoba/Sask. At least my Bell phone didn't like a couple hours between Winnipeg & Regina.

Can get a decent Garmin for about $100 or so. Get a satellite radio too if you can swing it.

And on that drive I just mentioned -- DON'T DO IT AT NIGHT. It's bleak, boring, desolate, and dangerous. Even during the day I felt like dozing off because it was so stinkin' boring. Snow is still blowing. Co-worker had to make a drive to Yorkton, SK from Winnipeg, and they closed the highway down (he drove anways because he's nuts). He couldn't tell where the road was except by the reflectors on the side of the road because the snow made an even layer.
Western New York SCCA - Cone Killer #440
Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
Matt89
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by torradan View Post
Not sure if you've left yet...but.. Yep, you'll be driving through no coverage areas in Manitoba/Sask. At least my Bell phone didn't like a couple hours between Winnipeg & Regina.

Can get a decent Garmin for about $100 or so. Get a satellite radio too if you can swing it.

And on that drive I just mentioned -- DON'T DO IT AT NIGHT. It's bleak, boring, desolate, and dangerous. Even during the day I felt like dozing off because it was so stinkin' boring. Snow is still blowing. Co-worker had to make a drive to Yorkton, SK from Winnipeg, and they closed the highway down (he drove anways because he's nuts). He couldn't tell where the road was except by the reflectors on the side of the road because the snow made an even layer.
Haven't left yet, not til April 10th! I plan on driving throughout the day, no night driving for me unless I hit a road block and need to make up time as I need to be there by the 18th. I'm giving myself a lot of time lol

Also my buddy is selling me his brand new still in the box GPS for $80, it's a higher end one too.

Do you think the CAA 200km tow is enough or should I pay more and get the next level for the 320km tow??
Old 03-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #16
Supernaut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Haven't left yet, not til April 10th! I plan on driving throughout the day, no night driving for me unless I hit a road block and need to make up time as I need to be there by the 18th. I'm giving myself a lot of time lol

Also my buddy is selling me his brand new still in the box GPS for $80, it's a higher end one too.

Do you think the CAA 200km tow is enough or should I pay more and get the next level for the 320km tow??
I would say 200km is plenty of tow range. Chances are you won't need it anyway. If things go wrong you'll probably almost always been within 200km of some kind of repair facility... even if it is "Bubba's back porch shade tree automobile fixin'"

A journey like this has to be made with a wee bit of pioneer spirit.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
Duhamel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78883
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SES

FF Reputation: 1 Duhamel Good Standing Member
I travel up North every week or two (Edmonton to Cold Lake & Foster Creek, and back). Some things I always have on hand are a socket set and other tools (pliers, screw drivers), spare headlight bulb(s), spare windshield washer fluid, spare spark plug(s), and some other this's and that's if I'm inclined to grab them.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to change the tranny fluid, but you'll probably be fine, though it would be good preventative/regular maintenance.

Plugs - same thing, kinda. It wouldn't hurt to replace them and keep one or two on hand, just in case.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #18
wacky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110451
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 wacky Good Standing Member
if you're not hauling anything that could be considered suspicious, then i would suggest rounding down through the US. driving through the prairies can be rather boring. Also, gas prices in the US are lower than in Canada, so you'll be saving some there as well. might want to consider running a higher octane to start the trip as well. :)
more places to stop and rest as well. and more things to see if you're not in a hurry.
pack some energy drinks with you as well.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Canada has paved roads?

Woah.

(kidding)
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #20
Matt89
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky View Post
if you're not hauling anything that could be considered suspicious, then i would suggest rounding down through the US. driving through the prairies can be rather boring. Also, gas prices in the US are lower than in Canada, so you'll be saving some there as well. might want to consider running a higher octane to start the trip as well. :)
more places to stop and rest as well. and more things to see if you're not in a hurry.
pack some energy drinks with you as well.
I'm gonna drive through Canada first because I haven't really seen much other than Ontario but will look into the US on the way back for sure. Will toll roads be a problem?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->