Aftermarket audio question - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
atahmission
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112489
What I Drive: 2013, white, SE

FF Reputation: 1 atahmission Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Aftermarket audio question

Hi guys. So, I picked up my 2013 Focus and I couldn't be more thrilled. I have had the somewhat unique opportunity to have owned a 2012 Civic up until this fall. Obviously, the Civic very much plays on the Focus' court, but I have to say that I'm impressed with the job Ford has done. No only is the Ford more fun to drive, in addition to being equipped with more/better features and options, but it also feels like a more substantial car. The Civic was somewhat loud, and there wasn't that "whump" I like to hear when closing the door. As for entertainment, the Sync system is much more capable, if not more user friendly, than what was in the Honda. The only positive I'd give the Civic is in fuel economy; it goes pretty easy on the sips of gas. That said, I'm somewhat of an audiophile, and though I found the stock system to be pretty good (6 speaker, non-sony), I wanted to upgrade the speakers in the door. I'm not sure of the power the head unit produces, so I specifically sought out efficient speakers, and Infinity makes a premium product (Kappa 5 1/4) that also uses wattage from the head pretty efficiently. The bummer is, I switched the speakers out, and I think that stock is better (more dynamic). The Infinity was the best option I could find of the market, and pretty damn expensive to boot, but I thought maybe the speakers were the problem. I replaced those with the top of the line JL Audio 5 1/4, and same difference. Now, I haven't moved to the front doors because I've been so disappointing with the rear, but does anyone have any experiences/guesses? I really don't want to put in an amp, so if that's the only solution, I suppose I'll stick with stock. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
ShoOff
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109590
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 15 ShoOff Great Standing Member
To be honest the highs in the stock setup arent to bad at all. That being said I ran a Line driver so that i could install an amp and sub combo for the back. That being done i was able to basic turn up the mids and highs on the stock speakers while still being able to get a low punch from the subs. I love the way it sounds for a stock head unit and speakers!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
atahmission
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112489
What I Drive: 2013, white, SE

FF Reputation: 1 atahmission Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoOff View Post
To be honest the highs in the stock setup arent to bad at all. That being said I ran a Line driver so that i could install an amp and sub combo for the back. That being done i was able to basic turn up the mids and highs on the stock speakers while still being able to get a low punch from the subs. I love the way it sounds for a stock head unit and speakers!
I bet it does sounds sweet! I'm not thrilled with the thought of running wires through my firewall. Additionally, there's not all that much room in the hatch. If there was some sort of seamless box that integrated into the flow of the car.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
ShoOff
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109590
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 15 ShoOff Great Standing Member
well the firewall already has wires ran through it if im not mistaken. As for the hatch, yes it does take up space. the amp actual;ly fits under the cover for the spare in that foam layer. worked out nicely. as for the sub box. Well im running 2 12's and yes it does take up almost all of the space.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
B-Ship
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109401
What I Drive: 2012 Black hatch

FF Reputation: 1 B-Ship Good Standing Member
is your car an auto? if so, there is a great hole to run wire through behind the battery that was for the clutch. all you have to do is make a little hole in a rubber grommet.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Moved to Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 03-31-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
dpando1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92144
What I Drive: 2012, Grey, Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 2 dpando1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Ship View Post
is your car an auto? if so, there is a great hole to run wire through behind the battery that was for the clutch. all you have to do is make a little hole in a rubber grommet.
where is said hole behind said battery where said clutch would enter?
hahaha I am about to do an install and was gonna do it through the firewall on the passenger but if I could do what you said I will definitely.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 21 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpando1 View Post
where is said hole behind said battery where said clutch would enter?
hahaha I am about to do an install and was gonna do it through the firewall on the passenger but if I could do what you said I will definitely.
You are best off going through the passenger side on the MkIII.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 03-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
dpando1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92144
What I Drive: 2012, Grey, Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 2 dpando1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemind View Post
You are best off going through the passenger side on the MkIII.
Alright its on! haha Ill be posting my install when I finish.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 21 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
We look forward to it.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes

Bookmarks & Social Networks