Drop spring help! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-29-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
jayw32
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103280
What I Drive: 12 sonic blue se

FF Reputation: 1 jayw32 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Drop spring help!

I havent found a good thread on dropping an mk3 focus and was wondering if someone could please explain to me how they got the front struts off....i tried everything i could with what little tools i had avaliable at the moment....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
if you mean the bottom that goes into the hub, use a large flat-head screwdriver and pry it open on the backside of the hub where it pinches together.

then tap the hub with a rubber mallet.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
This is from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
The Pro-kit is an easy install, like Red said. If you have access to a strut compressor, optimal, but not necessary. Just faster. As for wear, you won't have a noticeable difference on your stockers with such a minimal drop. They aren't even overly noticeable driving around (as a good thing).

Jack rear in center, support sides with stands, remove wheels, disconnect end links, disconnect shocks from the top, and pry down on lower control arm. The springs will come out and new will go in. Don't move the rubber spacers on the top and bottom. Rotate the spring until its seated in the pocket, and reverse everything else.

Or a couple of spring compressors with a couple of wrenches and some elbow grease will eliminate much of the dis-assembly.

For the front, similar. After wheel removal disconnect the brake line from the strut, remove the lower cinch bolt on the upper control arm, beat the arm off (pun intended, it really sucks) then disconnect the three mounting bolts from the top cap (located under the plastic piece at the bottom of the windshield) and the strut will come out. Mark an alignment mark on the top cap, upper strut spring mount, and strut body for reassembly!!! Add spring compressors (or throw in strut compressor), remove the nut securing the top cap, pull cap and strut spring. Replace spring, align per previously made marks, and then reverse the process.

I would plan 5 hours if you're doing this in the garage, but plan on a bit longer due to being unfamiliar. If anybody sees anything I've missed, call me out on it. I just wanted to cover as much as I could as quickly as possible.
<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
That thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/n...eply&p=4267048