Installed Homelink visor in our SE 4 door - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #31
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 13,274, Level 75
Points: 13,274, Level: 75 Points: 13,274, Level: 75 Points: 13,274, Level: 75
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btravelen View Post
So, your SE didn't have the lighted visor mirror?
Correct
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #32
maalox
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105436
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE 5dr

Points 85, Level 1
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 maalox Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btravelen View Post
So, your SE didn't have the lighted visor mirror?
Mine did not have the lighted visor, but did have the plug above the headliner.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #33
fiveofocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60237
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SFE

Points 992, Level 16
Points: 992, Level: 16 Points: 992, Level: 16 Points: 992, Level: 16
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 fiveofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Just curious Just picked up a 2013 Job #2 build Focus SE and it does have Lights in the visors but theres only 1 side of the mirror. I test drove an earlier build 2013 and noticed it had the lights on both sides like 2012's did. My question is that have any of you who did the Mod do it on a Job #2 car to confirm it worked and the harness is in there? I dont mind having a driver side Visor with 2 lights cause I'll never use it anyway but I will use the homelink button.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #34
rodney23
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112891
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 rodney23 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveofocus View Post
Just curious Just picked up a 2013 Job #2 build Focus SE and it does have Lights in the visors but theres only 1 side of the mirror. I test drove an earlier build 2013 and noticed it had the lights on both sides like 2012's did. My question is that have any of you who did the Mod do it on a Job #2 car to confirm it worked and the harness is in there? I dont mind having a driver side Visor with 2 lights cause I'll never use it anyway but I will use the homelink button.
Hey all... new to FF and just bought my first Focus, a 2013 SE.

Well... I think I've found an issue with the latest 2013 Focus builds and the 2012 visor pictured earlier in the thread. Here is my 2013 visor:

Folded up...

Opened...

As fiveofocus mentioned, it appears that the sunvisor design has changed from the original posts. Specifically...

The mounting screw/mounting cover no longer has the holes for the screws and/or screw covers

I assume that the same 2 screws are underneath the single cover, but I haven't pried it off to see.

Also, the bar that locks into the retainer clip now has an integrated "ticket" holder that I don't see on the previous pictures.

So... this mod sounded simple, easy, and cheap. But I don't want my new focus to have mismatched visors and it seems silly to buy a second visor just to have a matched set that doesn't look quite as neat and tidy as the newest version. I may just bite the bullet and go with a new rearview mirror with homelink and have the added feature of the auto-dim as well.

Anyone else have any thoughts or comments?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #35
maalox
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105436
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE 5dr

Points 85, Level 1
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 maalox Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney23 View Post
The clip that your visor attaches to is different than the earlier cars, too. You have an exposed screw there where the earlier cars have a cap to cover it. I'd be interested to see how the hinge side of your visor is attached to the car.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #36
rodney23
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maalox View Post
The clip that your visor attaches to is different than the earlier cars, too. You have an exposed screw there where the earlier cars have a cap to cover it. I'd be interested to see how the hinge side of your visor is attached to the car.

Umm... Do you mean what's under the hinge cover? Yeah, I am too... but haven't wanted to pull it off until I knew a little more. Plus, since its a cap... I'm not exactly sure how it pops off and I don't want to bust it on my 3 day old car.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #37
fiveofocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60237
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SFE

Points 992, Level 16
Points: 992, Level: 16 Points: 992, Level: 16 Points: 992, Level: 16
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 fiveofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Rodney let me know if you pull it off... I'm so tempted to to find out this mystery but my car is only 6 days old and already did a bunch of work to it... I work for the Ford Plant out here in Chicago and our Taurus or Explorers dont use a Cap like these do also waiting to hear from one of my friends in Trim Dept at Focus Plant to see if the harness is still up there as Job #2 is Unknown with these new mirrors....
Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #38
rodney23
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveofocus View Post
Rodney let me know if you pull it off... I'm so tempted to to find out this mystery but my car is only 6 days old and already did a bunch of work to it... I work for the Ford Plant out here in Chicago and our Taurus or Explorers dont use a Cap like these do also waiting to hear from one of my friends in Trim Dept at Focus Plant to see if the harness is still up there as Job #2 is Unknown with these new mirrors....
Sounds like we bought ours around the same time. I'm not rushing to pull mine off now that I know the overall visor is different and purchasing a single 2012 homelink visor wouldn't match the other side.

I'm looking at spending the extra bucks and buying the auto-dimming rear-view with Homelink. That way I get two features instead of just the one. For only $50-70 more than buying two matching visors... I think it might be worth the extra money.

Knowing that there's already accessory power up there to feed the current visor "make-up" light, I'm thinking you wouldn't necessarily need to run a new power feed for it either, so it shouldn't take much to install.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #39
reh8388
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104886
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr

Points 224, Level 4
Points: 224, Level: 4 Points: 224, Level: 4 Points: 224, Level: 4
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 reh8388 Good Standing Member
Make sure you have key switched power. You don't want your mirror to kill your battery. Also, depending on how you feel about it, some people prefer key switched power for the Homelink as well since it prevents someone from breaking your window while the car is in the driveway and then opening your garage. I don't worry about that but it's something to consider.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #40
rodney23
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reh8388 View Post
Make sure you have key switched power. You don't want your mirror to kill your battery. Also, depending on how you feel about it, some people prefer key switched power for the Homelink as well since it prevents someone from breaking your window while the car is in the driveway and then opening your garage. I don't worry about that but it's something to consider.
Hmmm... interesting. My Nissan with the homelink mirror has the garage door buttons that work regardless of key position. But the auto-dim and compass are only on with the key. Must be additional wiring from separate jumpers on that guy. I know the simple no-compass mirrors all come with an on/off button for the auto-dim, but you're right... I guess you'd have to make sure you only wired it up to the key-accessory powered jumpers or risk the auto-dim feature causing a possible drain. I'll have check the other thread on the mirror install for that and see what others have done.

Bookmarks & Social Networks