If you DCT issues, this will interest you... - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
spektrum2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109690
What I Drive: 2012 oxford White Hatch SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 spektrum2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
There is nothing "convoluted" about the adaptive learning.
It simply "learns" the unique characteristics of the transmission/clutches.

You tell it what you want with your right foot.
Sounds like there's alot of cars out there that won't be graduating with the rest of the class it seems.

Anyway we have bigger problems.Soon it will be self aware..whata we do then..?
Arnie's to old help us....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 702, Level 14
Points: 702, Level: 14 Points: 702, Level: 14 Points: 702, Level: 14
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 11 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
DCT "teach mode" vs EPA fuel economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
The EPA would treat it the same as a manual transmission. When a car maker performs mileage testing with a manual transmission to present to the EPA they have a professional driver trained to shift for the best possible mileage. The EPA knows that not everyone will shift for the best possible mileage but they accept the best-case results. They would certainly do the same for a "trainable" automatic.
No wonder some owners have trouble getting mileage as good as testers do for the EPA numbers.

I thought the DCT is already "trained to shift for the best possible mileage" if left on its own without driver intervention. Do you know whether testers used the select shift feature at all in tests for the current mpg results?

I'm not as certain as you are that the EPA would be willing to ignore the possible fuel economy impact of a "teach mode" like what spektrum2 has suggested, but I'm just speculating. If you have insider knowledge of how the EPA or carmakers work, I'll take your word for it. If they would ignore it, they could just skip testing and stick with the current DCT test results.

After giving more thought to the "teach mode", I think that even if adding it improved fuel economy, Ford would not want to until after they get their current problems resolved. Adding complexity with any new user (previously known as "driver") involvement would make that harder. Those pesky "users" always find ways to mess stuff up and give software designers nightmares. ("We never imagined the users would do THAT! Tell them to not do that.")
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Points 702, Level 14
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 19%
Are you telling me DCT problems are all in the owner's mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
... the highly advanced turboencabulator inside the DCT ...
There's your trouble. After reading all the threads about problems with the DCT I was starting to suspect that that is the source of all of them. Those things are just so hard to get right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
... what you have to do to fix your DCT is reset it, then convince yourself that you truly enjoy the DCT. ... Once you have convinced yourself and changed your attitude about the DCT, you will realize that your problems weren't really problems at all and now everything is fine.
You don't happen to work for a Ford dealer service department, do you? Aren't you worried about owners with difficult DCT's thinking you are telling them that it's "all in their minds" and becoming violent with you?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #24
spektrum2
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
No wonder some owners have trouble getting mileage as good as testers do for the EPA numbers.

I thought the DCT is already "trained to shift for the best possible mileage" if left on its own without driver intervention. Do you know whether testers used the select shift feature at all in tests for the current mpg results?

I'm not as certain as you are that the EPA would be willing to ignore the possible fuel economy impact of a "teach mode" like what spektrum2 has suggested, but I'm just speculating. If you have insider knowledge of how the EPA or carmakers work, I'll take your word for it. If they would ignore it, they could just skip testing and stick with the current DCT test results.

After giving more thought to the "teach mode", I think that even if adding it improved fuel economy, Ford would not want to until after they get their current problems resolved. Adding complexity with any new user (previously known as "driver") involvement would make that
harder. Those pesky "users" always find ways to mess stuff up and give software designers nightmares. ("We never imagined the users would do THAT! Tell them to not do that.")
There's probably lots of behind the scenes reasons why they they would'nt try something like that from thier perspective ,but it would be one heck of a feature in my eyes if only as an option.They could still have parameters like they do now for select shift where the computer will shift before any damage occurs.We have robotic arms at work that you train by manually going through the motions with a joy stick and the computer simply stores the co-ordinates as you go,so from a software point of view a shift program would be pretty basic compared to that.Anyway..just my wish list
Old 03-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #25
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Points 702, Level 14
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 19%
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektrum2 View Post
... Anyway we have bigger problems. Soon it will be self aware..whata we do then..?
Arnie's to old help us....
Watch this video and reminisce over the good old days before cars were full of computers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwBmP...nofeather=True
"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

I don't know which Arnie you're referring to, but Dave can't help either.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #26
spektrum2
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
Watch this video and reminisce over the good old days before cars were full of computers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwBmP...nofeather=True
"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

I don't know which Arnie you're referring to, but Dave can't help either.
Yes the ole days when you could remove the pie plate and hold the choke open with a screw driver if you had to too.As with most things theres pros and cons I suppose.I really love my gizmos so thats a + but I miss the simplicity at the same time.The cars I've owned have gotten more reliable over time but the DIY aspect is disappearing fast and your at thier mercy more and more...next the electrics I guess.

Oh and its Arnie the Terminator after skynet went self aware

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.