If you DCT issues, this will interest you... - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
spektrum2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109690
What I Drive: 2012 oxford White Hatch SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 spektrum2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPEW584 View Post
For the heck of it, I've been using SelectShift the past couple days. The one difference I've noticed is how much smoooother the shifts are in this mode vs. fully automatic; the rumbling in 1st is almost entirely gone.

Just a thought here, when they say "the DCT has to learn how you drive", wouldn't that be referring to the SelectShfit mode? I'm not exactly sure on how the programming is structured in the DCT, but if the full auto mode takes shift data collected from SelectShift, then I think we have a solution here, theoretically. Now, logically speaking, most of these issues with the DCT should just be software related, as much of these issues started after 12B37, which was a software update.

I'll be using SelectShift for the rest of the week, and will be going back to fully auto after. I'll update this thread then.
I think they missed the boat.It should have a "teach mode"you start the program do a drive in select shift with shifts your comfy with hit save and thats it period.Maybe have 3 or 4 styles you program and save and away ya go,change them anytime you want,play with them for enconomy etc.Seems to me they have this big convoluted learning program trying to average this and that....just tell it what you want seems easier to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
mjb457
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96645
What I Drive: 12 Focus SE , 03 PT Cruiser GT

Points 795, Level 14
Points: 795, Level: 14 Points: 795, Level: 14 Points: 795, Level: 14
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 mjb457 Newbie
What do you do if you dont have select shift? Some DCT dont have it ..I dont? MJB
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #13
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 708, Level 14
Points: 708, Level: 14 Points: 708, Level: 14 Points: 708, Level: 14
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 11 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Multiple saved shift profiles for the DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektrum2 View Post
I think they missed the boat.It should have a "teach mode"you start the program do a drive in select shift with shifts your comfy with hit save and thats it period.Maybe have 3 or 4 styles you program and save and away ya go,change them anytime you want,play with them for enconomy etc.Seems to me they have this big convoluted learning program trying to average this and that....just tell it what you want seems easier to me
You took the words right out of my mouth. (Actually, off of my fingertips.) The electric seats in my wife's car have something like this, why not a transmission, too?

The answer is that our government (EPA) does not trust us to do it "right" and get high enough average mpg. I think for every lead foot winding it up to redline there would be another gas miser doing the geezer style to max fuel economy, and it would balance out overall.

Even the same driver at different times might switch between those extremes, depending on whether he/she is late for work or coming home from the dentist with a numb jaw. I guess that's too much freedom for some folks in the government to tolerate.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #14
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 708, Level 14
Points: 708, Level: 14 Points: 708, Level: 14 Points: 708, Level: 14
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 11 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
No select shift = no "teach mode" possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
What do you do if you dont have select shift? Some DCT dont have it ..I dont? MJB
Then you'd be stuck with the current scheme.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85864
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
The answer is that our government (EPA) does not trust us to do it "right" and get high enough average mpg. I think for every lead foot winding it up to redline there would be another gas miser doing the geezer style to max fuel economy, and it would balance out overall.
The EPA would treat it the same as a manual transmission. When a car maker performs mileage testing with a manual transmission to present to the EPA they have a professional driver trained to shift for the best possible mileage. The EPA knows that not everyone will shift for the best possible mileage but they accept the best-case results. They would certainly do the same for a "trainable" automatic.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,189, Level 41
Points: 4,189, Level: 41 Points: 4,189, Level: 41 Points: 4,189, Level: 41
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektrum2 View Post
Seems to me they have this big convoluted learning program trying to average this and that....just tell it what you want seems easier to me
There is nothing "convoluted" about the adaptive learning.
It simply "learns" the unique characteristics of the transmission/clutches.

You tell it what you want with your right foot.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
There is nothing "convoluted" about the adaptive learning.
It simply "learns" the unique characteristics of the transmission/clutches.

You tell it what you want with your right foot.
This car is more advanced than the engineers at Ford tell you. It uses complicated machine learning and data mining techniques to predict driver actions. Throttle position, steering position, ambient light, radio volume, and even the genre of the track you're listening to go into the computer so that it can adjust the highly advanced turboencabulator inside the DCT to driving conditions. Some of the computationally intensive model generations are offloaded to the MFT, and in earlier versions of the software it would cause crashes and other random behaviors of the MFT, but has since been resolved.

The issue that most DCT owners, and even some programmers at Ford, don't know is that the system they created is actually capable of detecting bad feelings toward the DCT. The microphone evolved to listen for loud yelling, aggressive throttle actions, and select shift behavior. Once the DCT feels all hope is lost in the driver, it fights back with grinding, jerking, shuttering, and high engine revs.

Some of the dealers have caught on to this so they "reset" the memory of the DCT so that it forgets how much you hate it. Then they try to calm the driver down and teach them that they should really love the DCT so that it doesn't detect these bad feelings anymore.

So what you have to do to fix your DCT is reset it, then convince yourself that you truly enjoy the DCT. You can try to lie to the system, but it is highly calibrated at this point since not all of the DCT memory can really be reset. Once you have convinced yourself and changed your attitude about the DCT, you will realize that your problems weren't really problems at all and now everything is fine.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,189, Level 41
Points: 4,189, Level: 41 Points: 4,189, Level: 41 Points: 4,189, Level: 41
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
The issue that most DCT owners, and even some programmers at Ford, don't know is that the system they created is actually capable of detecting bad feelings toward the DCT. The microphone evolved to listen for loud yelling, aggressive throttle actions, and select shift behavior. Once the DCT feels all hope is lost in the driver, it fights back with grinding, jerking, shuttering, and high engine revs.
That's right.

The speech recognition of MFT can detect swear words and the word "transmission" in the same sentence. When it does, MFT "informs" the TCM which will then become petulant.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #19
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
That's right.

The speech recognition of MFT can detect swear words and the word "transmission" in the same sentence. When it does, MFT "informs" the TCM which will then become petulant.
Sarcasm aside - if this were true, it would totally explain my car's mood swings.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 FFE Frosted Glass

Points 876, Level 15
Points: 876, Level: 15 Points: 876, Level: 15 Points: 876, Level: 15
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
This car is more advanced than the engineers at Ford tell you. It uses complicated machine learning and data mining techniques to predict driver actions. Throttle position, steering position, ambient light, radio volume, and even the genre of the track you're listening to go into the computer so that it can adjust the highly advanced turboencabulator inside the DCT to driving conditions. Some of the computationally intensive model generations are offloaded to the MFT, and in earlier versions of the software it would cause crashes and other random behaviors of the MFT, but has since been resolved.

Some of the dealers have caught on to this so they "reset" the memory of the DCT so that it forgets how much you hate it. Then they try to calm the driver down and teach them that they should really love the DCT so that it doesn't detect these bad feelings anymore.

So what you have to do to fix your DCT is reset it, then convince yourself that you truly enjoy the DCT. You can try to lie to the system, but it is highly calibrated at this point since not all of the DCT memory can really be reset. Once you have convinced yourself and changed your attitude about the DCT, you will realize that your problems weren't really problems at all and now everything is fine.
FINALLY a believable explanation on it! Good thing i think only good thoughts as my car also has heated seats so i would probably get the cold seat treatment too if I were mad at it! And don't forget that it can monitor the FF site too so complaining here will also cause problems.......

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.