Does your vent selector stick? Have you broken the cables? Read on, - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 42 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Does your vent selector stick? Have you broken the cables? Read on,

So I think I have a solution to this problem. I can't be sure yet, but everything is looking good so far.

But first I want you to answer this question, Do you have a cabin air filter in your car? (if you didn't install it, chances are you don't)

So my blower motor finally died. It had run enough to ware the brushes down to nothing. So I installed a new blower motor.
But first I thought it'd be a good idea to blow the dust out of the vents. Thing is there wasn't much dust that came out. But boy oh boy was there leaves, sticks and other tree debris, all in little bits.
Hmmm.
Seems that leaves and such were chopped up by the blower motor and stuck on the back side of the heater core.
In the process of blowing all this out I rotated the vent selector back and forth. The more junk that cam out, the freer the knob got.
So it seems to me that debris is the main problem as to why things get sticky and break.

Now, I haven't had a cabin air filter in my car ever. That is 11 years. Which time wise seems to fit with others I've seen with similar problems, and no solution has been posted to my knowledge.

To prevent this, I'd say a cabin filter should be used in every car.

To get the junk out you'll have to remove the blower motor. Not difficult, it's only 1 electrical connector and 3 screws. But it's an awkward angle to work at. Stretch before wiggling under the dash so you don't cramp up.
Grab the air hose and blow all the debris out. Change the direction of the vent and blow again. Continue this until you feel you got most everything.
Should be good for another 10 years or so.

Best of luck.

Here is the file on how to remove the blower motor --> http://www.filedropper.com/focusblowermotor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
This is great info. All focus's can use a cabin air filter it is located under the cowl by the wipers. I think only the first model years actually got the filters installed from the factory. After that I haven't seen a single one with it, but they all have the spot to put them on.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 12-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
05-07 have no filter- on purpose. An earlier model Foci filter caddy can be substituted in place of the metal mesh screen if you can successfully remove the foam glue holding the screen in place. Something else will have to be used to seal up the filter caddy. Something like automotive window adhesive will work. Adhesive foam rubber should work if it's heavier duty type that will withstand high and low temps. The good thing is that the factory part bolts on the same way so there's no problem with having to drill holes.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
nomind
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95234
What I Drive: 2000 Primer ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 nomind Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Here is a link for the broken cable fix:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293932

The selector mechanism is by the driver's right knee, and you can try and move it there. I haven't had to dive into the heater core on my Focus yet, so I can't give you any specifics on that.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
fozziebear
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111199
What I Drive: 07 Focus SE sedan Deep Torredor Red

FF Reputation: 1 fozziebear Good Standing Member
My 07 has a problem with sticking too.What I found is not in the cables or blower housing but the bled door it self.The rubber seal Ford uses gets sticky over time and doesn't release from the housing where it makes contact.If the center vent and duct is removed you can just get your hand to the top of the blend door and you'll feel it stick.As a short term fix spray some silicone spray on the blend door and work it limit to limit several times.This will last several months then it will need to be done again.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
dustin102
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74880
What I Drive: 2007, silver, zx5

FF Reputation: 1 dustin102 Good Standing Member
I have this problem also... And it drives me nuts... Never thought to go in thru the blower housing.... I will try this if the weather ever breaks here! Thanks so much!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using FF Mobile
Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
roberted5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115674
What I Drive: 2006,Black,LS

FF Reputation: 1 roberted5 Good Standing Member
Great news.
Mine was sticking and the dealer said that a weak spot of Focus.He have me cables but said to expect the same problem.
Is there a link that shows how to take out fan or is it fairly simple?
If your in a pickle and you need air through the correct vents you can remove partial panel under steering wheel and on the side of radio compartment you can move the lever by hand.Down will force air through vents,up through defrost.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Here's one, http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ht=fan+removal

For an earlier model, and later posts noted some model differences...

Enough general info. to help you out!

S.R. #275
Old 06-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
torradan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25031
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4

FF Reputation: 7 torradan Good Standing Member
I may have to give this a try when I feel like pulling the car apart again. It's having enough problems that I don't even want to look at it and I'm about ready to drive it into Lake Ontario.

Anywho, mine gets stuck on defrost,and I have to reach up inside there and manually move it. As long as I keep it a notch from full defrost, it doesn't stick.

Almost seems like it goes a little further past where it should, and turning the knob isn't enough to rotate it back.
Western New York SCCA - Cone Killer #440
Old 06-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #10
roberted5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115674
What I Drive: 2006,Black,LS

FF Reputation: 1 roberted5 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Here's one, http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ht=fan+removal

For an earlier model, and later posts noted some model differences...

Enough general info. to help you out!
Thanks for the link.My A/C cools better on the passenger side vents than driver side vents including the middle vents,passenger side is cooler.

I don't know what part of A/C is in front of fan.Was any debris or built up around or on it that reduce the A/C's ability to cool?

On cool days my A/C works,probe in dash 42-38 degrees very well but on hot days 58-64 degrees.

Bookmarks & Social Networks