SuperFocus - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Konacus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99546
What I Drive: 2000 CD Silver ZX3 Kona Edition

FF Reputation: 1 Konacus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SuperFocus

Before I get too carried away with my visions, I want to make it clear that this is just an idea that (if possible and affordable) may be put into build status. I work with a bunch of mechanics and gearheads, and one of them finally decided to move to a real car. He used to drive srt4 neon, but totaled it and bought a Cobra Mustang. Anyway, he keeps giving me shit about driving my focus but doesn't care that I get about double the gas mileage he does and still has enough performance to keep up with him. Sure he's got me on the straights, but my Focus can handle the turns with ease while he has to be careful not to lose control.

My question is this, What would it take to upgrade my focus (or a junked focus) to be able to perform enough where it could hold it's ground against a cobra, but still maintain the corners?

I have heard of and seen V8s being put into a focus, and had become interested in the idea until I saw the price. I just don't have 15k to put into a little car. I'm pretty sure an engine swap would be necessary, so what kind of larger engine would fit into the engine bay, and what kind of mods could be done to it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
That easy whats your power goals , Turbo it

Stock Zetec can do 230HP easy
Built Zetec can do 300+ both # are to the wheels

Whats the budget and the HP goals ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Konacus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I haven't really started thinking about budget or HP goals. I just had the idea of souping up a focus to take on a cobra. Just wanting to see my options and then go from there.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
DarwinSays
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35941
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Silver / EAP / CWP

FF Reputation: 2 DarwinSays Good Standing Member
An engine swap would be the first step towards fail. The extra weight in the front from a bigger engine would not only compromise handling, but make spin-out on deceleration more likely.

The '03-04 Cobras weighed around 3650lbs and were pushing about 390hp at the crank. that equates to about 106.5hp/ton.
To achieve that ratio in a 2650 lb focus, you would need about 290hp, which isn't that far-fetched a goal for a well-built Zetec and would actually give you a tiny bit of pull on the Cobra until you're on longer straights (where the Cobra will still have the higher top speed).

Granted, getting that much power out of the motor and onto the pavement will cost you a solid chunk of change, but that's pretty much what you're looking at.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Konacus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

On the area of an engine swap, would it make a difference with a stronger suspension and wider rims to add more grip?

Assuming I stick with the stock engine, what's the difference between Zetec and Duratec, and would it be better to get a supercharger or turbocharger?

I really appreciate the feedback so far, it's more helpful to me than you think.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
DarwinSays
Focus Addict

Sure, it'll help, but you will still have hindered the handling potential of the car in doing so.
Most front engine, fwd cars already start at about 58% front weight as it is, if anything you want to move that rearwards, unless of course you're doing a drag build, where you want more weight on the tires for launch.

If you really want to try to keep up with the Cobra on the straights a little more and you're on a budget, you might want to consider weight reduction, which costs almost nothing and will improve your power to weight ratio (You'll be that much faster in the corners for it, too.), then add some nice tires and whatever power upgrades you can afford for the zetec motor.

My $.02, HTH
Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
ChnCDaFieD
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112152
What I Drive: 2000 green lx

FF Reputation: 1 ChnCDaFieD Good Standing Member
My lx is my DD. So zetec performance is new to me, but I know how to Make HP in the internal combustion engine. Zetec motors just like any other high compression motors are pushed to the extreme right from the factory so big HP gains are hard to achieve and expensive. I decided long ago if I wanted a V8 killer I was gonna have to start with low compression. Hence my 92 Talon Tsi. Comes stock turbo and AWD. Its a 1st gen eclipse GSX for those who are unfamiliar with DSM's. Around 200 HP Stock and the 1st 75 HP gains cost around $300. I cant find a better feeling at the track then beating a guy who has double the cylinders and triple the displacement. Not to familiar with hp gains from internals and bolt ons, but its all about weight to hp ratio for the zetec like darwin said. I dont believe getting that hp number would be difficult, but getting all of it to the road could be. Ive discovered from expierence that PROPERLY tuning motors that are pushed well beyond stock can get you over that last hump. The honda guys like to boost the non-vtec motors cuz of the lower compression. So i was wondering if the SPI has a bolt on turbo kit. My lx crapped out on me so gonna put the zetec in this weekend. Was gonna go bone stock, but all this focus talk is getting me exited. So ive decided to open her up and let her breath a little. Gonna drop in some cams and gears, open up the intake side with port and polish, want to do ITB with stacks, but i promised myself that i wasnt gonna break out the welder on the focus. So gonna do some more research on intakes and go with whatevers cheaper. Ive tried it on my dsm with individual coilpacks but tuning was a nightmare. PP exhaust side. If i break out the welder then custom mendrel bent from head back. Suspension upgrade or at least new bushing kit. New motor mounts. And couple other upgrades. Mpg should stay close.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Konacus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Good point.....And with weight reduction all I have to do is remove the back seats and spare tire. lol Right now I've got some Hankook Ventus V2 Concepts on it. I wouldn't say they are made for gripping tight corners, but they do have some pretty good grip. I wonder if it would be illegal to remove the hatch and doors and drive around like that. The through wind would even help clean out my car. haha

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Cobra guy is about to get a procharger for it. :'(
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
ChnCDaFieD
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112152
What I Drive: 2000 green lx

FF Reputation: 1 ChnCDaFieD Good Standing Member
Youd better hurry. Any opinions on max hp rating for zetec. Only stipulation would be passing the easiest state inspection and not spilling my coffee all over the place at idle.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
DarwinSays
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konacus View Post
Good point.....And with weight reduction all I have to do is remove the back seats and spare tire. lol Right now I've got some Hankook Ventus V2 Concepts on it. I wouldn't say they are made for gripping tight corners, but they do have some pretty good grip. I wonder if it would be illegal to remove the hatch and doors and drive around like that. The through wind would even help clean out my car. haha

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Cobra guy is about to get a procharger for it. :'(
You can also remove interior trim, front passenger seat, do a rear battery conversion, AC delete (if you don't mind running without) and so on.
running without doors and hatch might lighten the car, but it'll destroy aero (and your top speed with it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChnCDaFieD View Post
Youd better hurry. Any opinions on max hp rating for zetec. Only stipulation would be passing the easiest state inspection and not spilling my coffee all over the place at idle.
For max zetec hp, you'll be looking at 2.3L stroker conversion, cams, boost and a lot of other odds and ends. I've seen a few foci on youtube pushing over 400hp this way. I have a stroker co-op thread open in this subforum at the moment actually, if interested. Three days left before I give up on the co-op til next year, assuming I don't just buy all 3 kits myself.

Bookmarks & Social Networks