alternators options - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
ctcanadian1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109724
What I Drive: 2004 pitch black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 ctcanadian1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
alternators options

hey, i have 2004 ford focus ZX5 2.0 with a 5 speed manual, i hav had to car in my name for less then 4 years, and in that time, i hve gone through 4 alternators, oddly enough the car always ends up shutting off between the same 2 overpasses on the 401, but seeing ass i am a student and money is tight, i only replace them with used ones from scrap yards, so i want to rip it off like a band aid and just go all out on one that will last a long time, do its job as good on day 500 as day one, any suggestions ford brands to go with?
also, im wondering, has anyone else had problems similiar with there alternator?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 82699
What I Drive: 2000 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 6 alaskanzx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
well the issue is that it went bad and then you got a used one from a junk yar which there is no real way of telling how long it could last.

check out the local parts stores there and see what they have. you dont want the cheapest but dont need the most expensive. somewhere in the middle will do fine.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
popwarhomie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94974
What I Drive: 10 Focus coupe / 94 Lightning

FF Reputation: 1 popwarhomie Good Standing Member
I would go with a motorcraft alternator for reliability.
A lot of mods.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
I think you must have a problem that is causing the alternator to output more than it should and killing them prematurely. This is an amateur guess, but I'd worry about the wiring between the alternator and battery, if you had a voltage drop in that wiring the voltage regulator might command the alternator to work harder than it should to make up the difference and subsequently kill the alternator. I've never dealt with a problem like this but it sounds more likely to me than a bunch of good alternators dieing so quickly.

You probably need a new one, but I doubt it will fix your problem long term.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul View Post
I think you must have a problem that is causing the alternator to output more than it should and killing them prematurely. This is an amateur guess, but I'd worry about the wiring between the alternator and battery, if you had a voltage drop in that wiring the voltage regulator might command the alternator to work harder than it should to make up the difference and subsequently kill the alternator. I've never dealt with a problem like this but it sounds more likely to me than a bunch of good alternators dieing so quickly.

You probably need a new one, but I doubt it will fix your problem long term.

they werent all good alt, they were all used junk yard alt. begining of that name being junk, meaning that they worked but no way to say how long. if it was an issue with something causing the alt to work harder it would mean he would need to replace the pcm in which isnt cheap. he would have also had other issues such as sudden voltage drop causing his headlights and dash lights to dim randomly. not to mention his heater or radio loosing power for a quick second. wouldnt have to have a voltage gauge to see and issue such as the pcm going bad.

get a new alt and put it on. if you exp any issues with lights dimming or the stereo cuttin out then look into a pcm issue.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
ctcanadian1
Focus Rookie

well i never had a problem with the radio cutting out but i did notice thatmy dash lights like check egine and such would flicker on and off for a few minutes, a few km's later the car shut right down
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
ctcanadian1
Focus Rookie

ya i have to do a lot of work to the car this summer, so i will definitely have to look at all possibilities for why they keep dying on me, if i find a problem i can fix it and then buy a brand new alt
Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
ctcanadian1
Focus Rookie

ok man, thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Parts don't turn to junk the instant they go into a scrap yard, just because they were used doesn't mean they were all bad to begin with. According to OP they all worked for a period of time, and that makes me very skeptical that it's just a matter of alternators failing by themselves.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

yeah they arent junk the second they get there but used none the less. anything electrical can go bad at anytime. something used as a higher chance of that happening.

im just saying it would be smarter to get a new alt with warranty and if you have issues with it then look into the pcm. from my understanding the pcm isnt cheap.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->