Fords Alan Mulally on MFT and Dual Clutch - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
cobie56
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84403
Location: northeastern, NY
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

Posts: 1,575
FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
I opted out of the extended warranty from Ford because your paying for 3 years when your already covered on the basic and the 5/60 powertrain is more than enough.

Since I have Geico I am still debating on getting the mechanical breakdown insurance, which is priced less than Ford's extended warranty with a low deductible.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile
i certainly won't disagree w/ ur logic on this on, but when i looked at the other policies avail to me at the time and considered both cost and convenience i just went w/ ford...
i used to have an older gm car that had lots of dash electronics on it (but no where near as much as the focus as the other car was a late 90s model) and once the electrics started going it was hell... just to look at it the first time the dealer wanted like 600 bucks in labour , and an equal amt to replace it all... i sold the car 'as is' and got another in that case... anyway,, didn't want to repeat that w/ this car w/ far more electronics on it than the old car.
cobie56 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
rick217
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 110731
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
What I Drive: FORMERLY a 2013 Focus Titanium

Posts: 86
FF Reputation: 1 rick217 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
i certainly won't disagree w/ ur logic on this on, but when i looked at the other policies avail to me at the time and considered both cost and convenience i just went w/ ford...
i used to have an older gm car that had lots of dash electronics on it (but no where near as much as the focus as the other car was a late 90s model) and once the electrics started going it was hell... just to look at it the first time the dealer wanted like 600 bucks in labour , and an equal amt to replace it all... i sold the car 'as is' and got another in that case... anyway,, didn't want to repeat that w/ this car w/ far more electronics on it than the old car.
I can understand your logic. But the electronics have become much more reliable than they were 20 years ago. As for the extended warranty I didn't get it. Although my 2013 is running great with no issues at 2000 miles if I even experience any of the problems for a long period of time like described on this forum I will dump the car.
rick217 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #23
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 111167
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

Posts: 719
FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I will do the same..dump it and take a big loss....its up to Ford to get it corrected to retain buyers.

If mine does not improve on it's own or if Ford keeps giving me the runaround on the DCT issues....then I will probably never be a repeat customer.....I am even starting to wonder if they will honor the warranty without first BS ing the customer base.

I doubt Ford will be using the DCT in future models after the way things have went.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile
Tubeway Army is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
rick217
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 110731
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
What I Drive: FORMERLY a 2013 Focus Titanium

Posts: 86
FF Reputation: 1 rick217 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
I will do the same..dump it and take a big loss....its up to Ford to get it corrected to retain buyers.

If mine does not improve on it's own or if Ford keeps giving me the runaround on the DCT issues....then I will probably never be a repeat customer.....I am even starting to wonder if they will honor the warranty without first BS ing the customer base.

I doubt Ford will be using the DCT in future models after the way things have went.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile
I see you got the 2013 and have problems.That sucks! Don't get me wrong I love the car..but I should have researched this vehicle history more than I did. I got so wrapped up in researching dealers and price I overlooked quality!
Even though I hav enot experienced any problems the thought of maybe experiencing what a lot of people here have gone thru makes driving the car much less enjoyable but being paranoid is just my nature LMAO!!
rick217 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #25
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 111167
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

Posts: 719
FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yes...got it 3 weeks ago and aside from a few cosmetic issues, the DCT is the biggest issue. Took it in the other day for grinding, lunging and shift issues...was told there is nothing wrong with and to give it time to break in...have not hit 800 miles yet so we will see?...

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile
Tubeway Army is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
spektrum2
Focus Enthusiast
 
spektrum2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Fan#: 109690
Location: Peterborough, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 oxford White Hatch SE Sport

Posts: 181
FF Reputation: 1 spektrum2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
Yes...got it 3 weeks ago and aside from a few cosmetic issues, the DCT is the biggest issue. Took it in the other day for grinding, lunging and shift issues...was told there is nothing wrong with and to give it time to break in...have not hit 800 miles yet so we will see?...

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile
Mine did some lurching and weird shifting (every now and then) up about the 1300-1500k mark.Got it in reverse alot as well.then over night it just started working like dream and still is at 6000k+.Anyway it does go away as claimed sometimes.hopefully youll have a happy ending as well.
__________________
Life is better if your Focused
spektrum2 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
rick217
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 110731
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
What I Drive: FORMERLY a 2013 Focus Titanium

Posts: 86
FF Reputation: 1 rick217 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektrum2 View Post
Mine did some lurching and weird shifting (every now and then) up about the 1300-1500k mark.Got it in reverse alot as well.then over night it just started working like dream and still is at 6000k+.Anyway it does go away as claimed sometimes.hopefully youll have a happy ending as well.
Glad to hear that. Makes me have a little more of a positive outlook. I wanted a Titanium in performance blue but there was not one to be had in Michigan. Imagine that! I don't live to far from Michigan assembly where they are made. I had to get one on dealer trade from Ohio. When I got it it had 400 miles on it and never had any issues.......The dealer wanted to sell me a 2012 Ruby Red at a substantial price reduction that I almost bought. Can only be glad I didn't get it. I hope you have continued success. I am just waiting for the weather to warm up to see if I have troubles with my DCT as I have heard that warm weather and stop/go driving in traffic causes problems too...we shall see!

Last edited by rick217; 03-25-2013 at 06:23 PM.
rick217 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #28
spektrum2
Focus Enthusiast
 
spektrum2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Fan#: 109690
Location: Peterborough, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 oxford White Hatch SE Sport

Posts: 181
FF Reputation: 1 spektrum2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick217 View Post
Glad to hear that. Makes me have a little more of a positive outlook. I wanted a Titanium in performance blue but there was not one to be had in Michigan. Imagine that! I don't live to far from Michigan assembly where they are made. I had to get one on dealer trade from Ohio. When I got it it had 400 mikes on it and never had any issues.......The dealer wanted to sell me a 2012 Ruby Red at a substantial price reduction that I almost bought. Can only be glad I didn't get it. I hope you have continued success. I am just waiting for the weather to warm up to see if I have troubles with my DCT as I have heard that warm weather and stop/go driving in traffic causes problems too...we shall see!
It will be my 1st summer as well.(with the car broken in)I took delivery Aug 31 12.we will see when the heat hits.All I can say at this point is it shifts like a dream right now,no more lurching at all and my mileage is way better then 2012 focus I had.My build date was 29/11/11and no flash has been done.Good luck with yours as well.
__________________
Life is better if your Focused
spektrum2 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #29
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict
 
MyThIc3LiTe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95163
Location: Edmonton, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

Posts: 782
FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
People seem to be confused...

DSG and DCT are the same thing under different names. DCT is the generic name. PowerShift is the Ford name. DSG is the German name. PDK also applies, S-Tronic and various other names.

People saying that the PowerShift isn't a real DCT are...umm...morons.

The gearbox itself isn't flawed, especially not as flawed as the DSG you hold in such high regard (you shouldn't, it isn't a piece of heaven you want to think it is), and the people here having issues make it seem as if they speak for the entire userbase. I'm sorry, you don't.

We are the 1% of 1% of the total owners, the owners with issues probably constitute another 1%. Stop thinking our experiences, good or bad, are the norm for the entire owner group.
__________________
2012 Ford Focus Titanium Blue Candy Hatch 2009 Suzuki Swift+ - Traded in 2006 Lincoln Zephyr - Traded in

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
MyThIc3LiTe is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #30
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 111167
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

Posts: 719
FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
People seem to be confused...

DSG and DCT are the same thing under different names. DCT is the generic name. PowerShift is the Ford name. DSG is the German name. PDK also applies, S-Tronic and various other names.

People saying that the PowerShift isn't a real DCT are...umm...morons.

The gearbox itself isn't flawed, especially not as flawed as the DSG you hold in such high regard (you shouldn't, it isn't a piece of heaven you want to think it is), and the people here having issues make it seem as if they speak for the entire userbase. I'm sorry, you don't.

We are the 1% of 1% of the total owners, the owners with issues probably constitute another 1%. Stop thinking our experiences, good or bad, are the norm for the entire owner group.
The only difference with North American spec VW DSG is that it's a wet clutch design, not dry. VW does have a 7 speed dry clutch design that it markets in Europe and has issues similar to the Powershift so I have read.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


I do not know who claims the Powershift is not a "real DCT" that's easy to Google.

If it wasn't flawed, there would not be so many complaints and issues on it, the two biggest for Ford are the Powershift and MFT, both of which are far from perfect. Service adviser at my dealership said they get a lot of complaints from people who grew up driving torque converter automatics and that the people who got a Fiesta or Focus as their first car (teenagers) love it and don't have an issue with the feel, sounds or performance. Whether or not that's pure BS is another question.

It may be two 3 speed manuals mated together with auto shifting, but it doesn't drive, feel or sound like a traditional manual until I put it into Selectshift mode then that's as close as I can get, but in reality if I could do it all over again, I would have just gotten a manual and I wouldn't' have much to complain about other then some cosmetic issues.
Tubeway Army is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.