MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101 - Page 34 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #331
2012sel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84814
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL 5 door

FF Reputation: 10 2012sel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Yes I understand that's one side of the argument. I tend to go with the other side that believes the oil film coating the engine internals since the last run is enough to protect everything during the split second the oil first goes through the filter and into the engine.

Plus I don't like to send unfiltered oil straight out of the bottle directly onto my bearings and pistons.
The one time I didn't prime the filter it was more then a split second of clattering that went on. More like 2 seconds and it was unnerving to hear.

Crank the engine for a few seconds with the throttle floored. The engine doesn't start and new oil fills the new filter under less stress (at least on my ears). Works like a charm and satisfies both sides of the argument.
2000 F150 Sport 2000-2011 | 1988 Ranger XLT 4wd 1988 - 2000 | 1966 Mustang 1983 - 2008 | 1963 Ford Econoline Van 1979 - 1983
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #332
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD787 View Post
What do you think happens when you pour 4+ quarts in to the fill hole? It doesn't end up in the oil pan without touching anything.
Pretty sure it touches far fewer surfaces than coming out of the filter through all the delivery channels at full pressure.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:20 AM   #333
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Looking for 'Catch Can' referals

I am looking for the so called 'Catch Can' - Can anyone here recommend a brand or preference that I should look at?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_an_oil_catch_can

A thread reference would also be welcome.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #334
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandT View Post
... the search feature is a bummer to use, it returns thousands of threads and posts which I am sure the old farts remember when clued in but those of us who have NEW vehicles just want to find ...
Try this in the Google search window:

"PandT" "MK3 Focus" site:focusfanatics.com

Replace "PandT" with whatever term you want to search for, like "AMSoil", or "oil filtration", etc.

The more specific your search phrase is, the fewer hits -- sometimes as low as zero, since variations of the text that is contained in quotes don't match. You can replace "MK3 Focus" with anything that will limit the search to some area of this site you are interested in. (See the path for this thread at the top of this page: "Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus [cr][lf] MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101"), or add other phrases to narrow the search. Works fine for any other sites, too. Probably my second favorite feature of Google, after Maps.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #335
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
Incorrect... The stupid question is one that has been answered in multiple iterations but people fail to listen and comprehend
Yeah, but that doesn't make the question stupid -- just the person who asks (the already answered question) and "fail(s) to listen and comprehend" it.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #336
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post

Replace "PandT" with whatever term you want to search for, like "AMSoil", or "oil filtration", etc.

The more specific your search phrase is, the fewer hits -- sometimes as low as zero, since variations of the text that is contained in quotes don't match. You can replace "MK3 Focus" with anything that will limit the search to some area of this site you are interested in. (See the path for this thread at the top of this page: "Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus [cr][lf] MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101"), or add other phrases to narrow the search. Works fine for any other sites, too. Probably my second favorite feature of Google, after Maps.
Thanks, I will try that.
I am getting hits from 2008 on my MK3 right now and that is just wrong, I was kind of hoping for some kind of IF AND OR logical modifiers but if Google is the best way to search the forum then I will experiment with that - One must adapt, mustn't one.

Oh, to be 40 again... (Ten years ago, an eternity in this age)
Old 03-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #337
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post

Is there a page with the 'language' for the search engine? I have been looking for that for some time.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #338
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandT View Post
Is there a page with the 'language' for the search engine? I have been looking for that for some time.
I haven't used the "search" tool inside focusfanatics.com, but if you're talking about Google, just click where it says "Advanced search" to the right of the search window on the main page to set the language filter for search results. I think there's also a user preferences page somewhere, but maybe only if you create a Google/Youtube user account and sign in -- not sure otherwise.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #339
novus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 5 novus Good Standing Member
Just threw 4.5qts of Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 in her along with a Motocraft filter. Not bad for a 20$ oil change.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #340
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post
Just threw 4.5qts of Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 in her along with a Motocraft filter. Not bad for a 20$ oil change.
If you think you'll stick with it, make sure to sign up for their warranty program. You get a $25 rebate on your next 5-gal jug.

Sent from my Android using FF Mobile.

Bookmarks & Social Networks