Bad Thump From Speakers at Engine Start - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Pilot
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106774
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Pilot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Bad Thump From Speakers at Engine Start

Hello all, Just installed new Infinitys in front and back and new GM-D8604 Pioneer amp my non sony six speaker head unit with synch is a fair unit but only has line level inputs. However the Pioneer amp had supplied RCAs to convert the inputs. I spliced in to the head units outputs using the supplied wire colors and all sounds great except the amp powers on when any of the doors are opened including the hatch, even with the head unit off this I can live with BUT when I start the car even with the head off the speakers pop so hard Im sure the speakers will be damaged any one have any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 21 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Check ALL of your grounds and connections. But I am thinking it's a ground.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 03-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Pilot
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the input and I too was thinking along this line also so I went back and checked all the ground points and even doubled up on the battery and chassis ground with no luck, thanks thou I would recommend to anyone installing an amp with RCA auto signal in the 2012 and after stock ford head units check before buying due to a feature in these heads of a constant signal source probly due to the ford synch systems It some how turns the amp on even with the Head unit off when the doors are opened including the hood and hatch back door are opened.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Could be the amp, most amps come with built in features such as a "soft turn on" to stop that from happening. It sounds like you wired the remote wire into the wrong wire. The amp shouldn't turn on when you open the doors lol. This popping could be coming from the power surge of when you start the car. Find a different power spot to tie into the remote that comes on with the key. It will probably fix the popping.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 03-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Pilot
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the input sleepyboy I have found out through Crutchfield whom I purchased the amp from that due to the Head unit in the 2013 foco that this amp the GM-D8604 may not be compatible due to a constant data signal coming from the computor. The amp has an auto turn on through the RCA plugs that were supplied with the amp for splicing into the line level speaker wires the head unit has no rca output only line level speaker wireing. As far as the amp turning on even Ford is confused why this should happen when a door or even the hood is opened. I think but dont hold me too it that it is a function of the computor warning system when a door or the hood is unlatched that shows on the information screen. Talk about the twilite zone Ha Ha.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
majorChibi
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103279
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

FF Reputation: 1 majorChibi Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
Thanks for the input sleepyboy I have found out through Crutchfield whom I purchased the amp from that due to the Head unit in the 2013 foco that this amp the GM-D8604 may not be compatible due to a constant data signal coming from the computor. The amp has an auto turn on through the RCA plugs that were supplied with the amp for splicing into the line level speaker wires the head unit has no rca output only line level speaker wireing. As far as the amp turning on even Ford is confused why this should happen when a door or even the hood is opened. I think but dont hold me too it that it is a function of the computor warning system when a door or the hood is unlatched that shows on the information screen. Talk about the twilite zone Ha Ha.
I have an lc2i(lineout converter) that has the same signal sensing turn on. It powers on both my amps but I don't get that pop. Powers on whenever i open the doors etc.

Do you get the same pop when you turn on the HU with the car "off"?
And I don't want to question your install but your your HU doesn't have a direct connection to the speakers right? like you cut/disconnected the speaker wire, then soldered a new speaker wire from the headunit-side speaker wire to the amp? Not just piggybacking the signal from the speaker wire.

When you mentioned the OEM HU has line level input...did you mean speaker level output(which I believe are High level)? I'm assuming you are using the high level input connector on your amp?

Try connecting disconnecting the speakers from the amp and connect the oem speaker if it still happens. If its ok, then check your speaker install. If not then its probably the amp. Another thing is high level inputs aren't the best and you may what to try using a line out converter to convert the headunit output signal to line level.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Pilot
Focus Rookie

Thanks majorChibi Your right in questioning the install this is the only way to truly understand what is going on. The amp has a feature to adjust the voltage coming in from line level inputs via RCA plug at amp level as does a quality LOC and everything seems to work fine as well as the adjustments The original speakers in the non sony six speaker system are rated at 25volts although this doesn't mean the head unit is that high but this is the only info I can find on the original system the amp has a normal setting for .06 normal and higher or above 18volts this does decrease the pop some what but not a comfortable level. The pop only happens when I start the engine not at all when I turn the head unit on or off and this is with the hu off. The ford has a warning information system that tells you when eather door,hudd or hatchback are opened and all this goes through the computor and the tone relay to get your attention all goes through the signal source speaker level . This is why the doors turn on the amp however with no music signal just a signal source from the warning system computors cant trust em cant live without em ha. You are correct in the fact that the HU speaker level is high but is adjustable at the amp. It is defently the amp new technology with speaker level trigering It does have a seperate trigger for turning it on but this is only used if you piggyback two or more amps anougther feature of this new gen amp.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
Pilot
Focus Rookie

Hey all bought an amp that doesn't have this turn on feature, just swapped all the wiring over from the Pio to the other amp and using the standard trigger turn on all is normal and good now but Alass the silly power intenna powers on when the doors are unlocked LOL but even with the power on on the amp with the hu off I have deleted the thump of the signal sorce at start up. Technology is only temperarorly defeatable .
Thanks all.
Pilot

Bookmarks & Social Networks