adding power... - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
drewts86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72974
What I Drive: 2004 Burgundy ZX3

Points 468, Level 9
Points: 468, Level: 9 Points: 468, Level: 9 Points: 468, Level: 9
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 drewts86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You could potentially do this and I'll say I have thought of this, but I feel much more comfortable dropping in the new wiring harness just to make sure everything hooks up the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
xy0s08
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65298
What I Drive: 00 ZX3 Kona, 00 ZX3, 04 SVTF

Points 4,316, Level 41
Points: 4,316, Level: 41 Points: 4,316, Level: 41 Points: 4,316, Level: 41
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 xy0s08 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i also thought about doing that, but i want the harness to all look factory, i am a car audio installer and i am very anal about wiring in cars. plus i plan on adding after market remote start and alarm and having all the factory wiring colors there will help when doing that. its going to be very time involved but it will be worth it in the long run.
MARCH ROTM 2010 Midwest crew #58
9/11 was an inside job! fluoride is poisoning all of you! The Federal Reserve is a private bank that is making fake money and bankrupting America! Open your eyes to what is going on in the US! Infowars.com
Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
drewts86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72974
What I Drive: 2004 Burgundy ZX3

Points 468, Level 9
Points: 468, Level: 9 Points: 468, Level: 9 Points: 468, Level: 9
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 drewts86 Good Standing Member
When I get around to getting the wiring harness maybe I'll do a full write-up/how-to....
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
xy0s08
Focus Addict

Points 4,316, Level 41
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
that would defiantly be awesome of you.
9/11 was an inside job! fluoride is poisoning all of you! The Federal Reserve is a private bank that is making fake money and bankrupting America! Open your eyes to what is going on in the US! Infowars.com
Old 03-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
xy0s08
Focus Addict

Points 4,316, Level 41
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
so i took some time the other day to start checking things out on my car to do the swap and i looked behind the glove box and the locking and alarm module is already there but yet i do not have power locks or windows and then i checked in the harness going into the door on both sides of the molex connector and there were only two wires going into the door (im sure they are speaker wire.) that being said do you know if the lock module goes through the ECU and will i need to switch the ecu also when i pull the harness out of another car?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
xy0s08
Focus Addict

Points 4,316, Level 41
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
anyone any clue?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
xy0s08
Focus Addict

Points 4,316, Level 41
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
no one on this site has done a power swap before?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
FocusontheZX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64304
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST II

Points 1,708, Level 24
Points: 1,708, Level: 24 Points: 1,708, Level: 24 Points: 1,708, Level: 24
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 5 FocusontheZX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Power Accessory Swap How-To

I've did the swap two years ago.

My 03 had manual windows/locks/mirrors.
After the swap, it had power windows/locks/mirrors and keyless entry.

Here are some things to consider before you do the swap:

*This swap DOES NOT require cutting of any wiring in any shape or form. It is a true bolt on upgrade. NO "modification" of your vehicle is needed, it is simply a "bolt in" parts swap. It is a very timely and tedious process, and you NEED to take your time.
*Use a donar focus of the same body style. ZX3 for ZX3, Sedan for Sedan.
*When picking a donar car, find a car that has all of the options you could ever want. This way you will never have to replace the harness if you wish to add more factory style upgrades later.
*Verify your seats match. Make sure if you chose a donar car that has seats with airbags, that your seats also have airbags. If your car does not, you will also want to swap your seats to airbag seats.
*You WILL remove the entire interior except for your dash. If you are wanting to upgrade any other parts of you Focus (stereo, seats, interior pieces) NOW is the time do swap those.

I had a zx3, and did the swap using a totaled SVT ZX3. For my swap, I had to use the SVT GEM, and SVT seats, and SVT airbag control module. My SVT donar also had a factory moonroof, so I had to tuck this wiring, as it was not used.

Here is the process.

First, go to a junkyard and source your parts. You WILL need the following. Trust me I've done the research.

*Interior harness. This harness runs throughout the entire vehicle. It starts at a junction box on the driver's interior kick pannel, and run throughout the interior of the vehicle. It goes from the junction box, to the dome light, to each door frame, to the rear speakers(ZX3) (speaker harness will be included in the door harness connector on a 4 door), to the taillight harness.
*Door harnesses. There is one for each door. It will have the switch connector, door lock actuator connector, window regulator connector, and mirror connector (front doors) The drivers door harness will have a little green relay attached. This is the 1 touch down control for the driver's window, so make sure it is left on your harness when you salvage from your donar car.
*Door lock actuators (whole striker assembly)
*Power Window regulators
*Switches for each door
*Interior door trim to hold switches
*GEM module from donar car
*Airbag control module
*Power mirrors

NOTE: I recommend getting as much as this stuff from one donar car as possible. You NEED to get the interior wiring harness, airbag control module (located under the center consol), and the gem module from the same vehicle. These parts all have matching parts number they need to work together. If you get the wrong GEM, you may not have functional control over all the parts you want (i.e. windows may not work). If you get the wrong airbag module, it will 1. not fit in your harness, 2. cause an airbag light, and your airbags to not function, or 3. will cause your airbags to deploy because a sensor may or may not be included in the improper harness.

Now that you have all of your parts, the install process is very simple, just very labor intensive. I started at 8 am, and I finished around 6 pm. I have a pretty good knowledge of what I was doing, and already had taken the interior out a few times, so it may take you longer. I would recommend having two days set aside for the install, and a secondary means of transportation durring those days. This way you can take your time, and not miss any steps. Finding out something was wrong on this project can mean a whole lot of time to fix a mistake.

1. Remove your interior. You will want to remove the entire interior except for the dash. Seats, trim, carpet, consol, all of it. Keep track of your screws.

2. Once you have your interior removed, you can start the removal of the factory interior harness. Like i said before, it goes from junction box located at the driver's kick pannel, and goes to the dome light, each door frame, the airbag module, and to the taillight harness. I recommend laying the new harness in the vehicle, then replacing the factory one with your salvaged one as you go. This way you remember where all the clips and wires go and run. Replace your airbag module while you are changing the harness.

3. Now it is time to replace your GEM module. This is located on a bracket on top of the ecm of the focus. This is located under the glovebox. Simply remove the factory one and replace with your salvaged one.

4. Now that you have your new interior harness installed, and your airbag module replaced with the new one, start with the driver's door. You need to install the the door latch (piece that grabs the striker) as this is where the lock actuator is located. Note: you do not want to replace the handle part of the vehicle. Use your original with the new latch piece so you can maintain your factory door lock tumbler and use of factory key. You will need to swap out the window regulator as well. Also, you have gone this far, so I would swap to power mirrors while you have the door apart.

5. Now move to the next door, and repeat the door process. Continue until you are finished with all the doors.

6. Now hook your battery up, and try out everything. Simply plug your switches in and run through all of the functions. Make sure all doors lock, windows go up and down, no airbag light, mirrors move, and taillights work correctly.

7.Once you have verified everything functions correctly, you will want to reinstall your interior. Then you have completed the factory power options swap.

8.Go drive and enjoy!

Use the how to section to look up specific part swaps. There will be how tos on removing every part of the interior, how to swap the regulators and actuators. Just follow each one of these when you get to this step in the process.

If you have more questions let me know. There is a lot to consider, and it will be a rather big project. Nothing is very challenging, but you should have some good mechanical knowledge before your try it. I do not take any responsibility for you modifying your car. Do your research, make sure you are using all the parts that match together.

Last edited by FocusontheZX; 05-04-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
streetfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5768
What I Drive: 2004 Black Focus SVT

Points 2,513, Level 30
Points: 2,513, Level: 30 Points: 2,513, Level: 30 Points: 2,513, Level: 30
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 streetfocus Good Standing Member
Someone give this poster a rep point already! Good answer.

New: 04 SVT : K&N panel filter, 3 performance motor mounts, Taylor wires, orp, 67mm TB, Tom's Tune.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 AM   #20
thingsidont
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90749
What I Drive: 2001 sterling grey ZX3

Points 457, Level 9
Points: 457, Level: 9 Points: 457, Level: 9 Points: 457, Level: 9
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 thingsidont Good Standing Member
i was under the impression that some of the foci were prewired minus the doors.

I just plan on adding pwr windows and pwr locks. So i have all the internals of the door and i thought that all i needed now was the gem and door inserts. so how far off am i??

Bookmarks & Social Networks