Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 193 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #1921
75TM75
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115160
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 75TM75 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
The DCT would be much smoother if it were a wet-clutch transmission like the DSG. However, it isn't, and is much cheaper to maintain in the long run for that reason (dry clutch). Comparing wet-clutch and dry-clutch systems is not exactly comparing apples to apples.

Most complaints have been from MyFord Touch owners. I see you have an SE, so I suppose you don't have the touch screen. What issue are you having with SYNC?
I do not have My Touch, just plain Jane Sync. My issues are: 1 - the unit defaults to Sync USB (as opposed to keeping your last selection, in my case Bluetooth audio) every time you shut the car off.
2 - the steering wheel mounted switches are very poor (cruise control as well as Sync / radio), it takes 2 or 3 presses before the unit responds and since they are "rocker" type switches sometimes they respond opposite of how you expect, ie. volume up as opposed to volume down.
3 - Sync apparently does not understand my voice or English
4 - the unit will not read any USB thumb drive
Extremely disappointed with the Focus as a whole, the car has potential, but is not ready for primetime
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #1922
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Mine has none of those issues. Well, I'm not sure about #1 because I rarely use Bluetooth. I use a USB drive with 10K songs on it every day and never have issues with it or voice commands. I use to use a USB hard drive, also with no issues. How is your USB drive formatted?

My point is, I don't think the majority of your SYNC issues are design issues, since most of us don't have them. Saying "not ready for primetime" implies that your issues are by design.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #1923
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
I have the first issue most definitely, it's a pita, I rented a corolla not long ago that kept bluetooth audio, start her up and the phone streamed, both IOS and Android. Ford dropped the ball here.
I have the second issue as well, multiple pushes on buttons to get the damn thing to work, especially annoying since you have so many steps to change from AM to FM, unlike the nissan I traded in that allowed AM and FM in the same memory, so it was just a single button push.
Never used USB sticks, so no idea on that, but obviously the sync is not ready for prime time if it won't work right for some peoples usuage patterns, even if it doesn't affect others with different patterns. Heck, if the back doors wouldn't open unless you pulled on the handles multiple times the fanboys here would say "It's not broken because I don't use the back doors, must be you."
Old 06-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #1924
Kimmers
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115651
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Black

FF Reputation: 1 Kimmers Good Standing Member
2012 Focus transmission

I need some guidance, I have been frustrated since day 1 with my focus. I was originally told my transmission would "break in". Well now I am being told its chronic. It is at the dealer now and I was told they can replace the clutch but the part is backordered for weeks! Plus they said it will fail again and it wont fix all the issues. I am worried my car isn't safe, it feels like its going to stall, I have almost been rear ended due to it not shifting. I do outside sales and drive all day! My son doesnt feel safe in it. What have others done?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:23 AM   #1925
RFrench6646
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101073
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Sonic Blue, Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 RFrench6646 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers View Post
I need some guidance, I have been frustrated since day 1 with my focus. I was originally told my transmission would "break in". Well now I am being told its chronic. It is at the dealer now and I was told they can replace the clutch but the part is backordered for weeks! Plus they said it will fail again and it wont fix all the issues. I am worried my car isn't safe, it feels like its going to stall, I have almost been rear ended due to it not shifting. I do outside sales and drive all day! My son doesnt feel safe in it. What have others done?
I haven't had to have any work done to mine, and I have 1 year, 25,000 miles on it. I am starting to believe that many of those who have been having issues, (Not all, just some) are driving more in town, and not enough highway. I have a 65 mile commute to work, and it's mostly interstate. My dealer & I agree, that this has probably helped in breaking in, and settling in the clutches.
I still pay very close attention to how it shifts, listen out for noises etc. Every once in a while I do catch it "hunting" if I'm not giving it enuff gas. Other than that it's a fine drive. So I would recommend that when you get it back, and do the "adaptive driving technique" all over again, make an effort to highway mileage some just to even things out.

Hope you get things resolved soon!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #1926
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 314, Level 6
Points: 314, Level: 6 Points: 314, Level: 6 Points: 314, Level: 6
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
There is a ford rep named Eric at the facebook ford focus page who has helped many other oners get their cases escalated when the dealer gave them the run=around like you are getting.
This transmission has been in use by VW Audi for many years and can now be found in many brands worldwide up to Ferrari and Nissan GT-R.
The problem, imo, if the dealers all have been sent a memo telling them that many of your problems are normal. In truth, ask any vw GTI owner or audi, is that anythng more than a mild shudder on low speed shifts is NOT normal.
If the hundreds of posts here are not enough, you can see over a hundred more at http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/fo...ssion-problem/

My Focus had all these problems and couple reprogrammings BUT nothing really got better until I hit 13,000 miles when they all went away, why I don't know.

But ask yourself, if the problems are all "normal", how could they go away.

This is a great transmission in the VW GTI or Audi, but to get it right in your Focus you'll need to follow thru and not take no for an answer.

If you goto the Ford focus facebook page you will see more people with the same problem.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #1927
Kimmers
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115651
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Black

FF Reputation: 1 Kimmers Good Standing Member
Thank you! I finally spoke with a trans tech at ford and he said the trans has 3 differnt issues and mine has all 3. They are taking out the trans and replacing them but was told that 2 of the parts will fail again.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #1928
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85864
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
Quote:
Thank you! I finally spoke with a trans tech at ford and he said the trans has 3 differnt issues and mine has all 3. They are taking out the trans and replacing them but was told that 2 of the parts will fail again.
I don't think the trans guy has the kind of inside information to make that judgement. If Ford HQ told him that even new transmissions were doomed to fail, then every Focus and Fiesta being sold now will fail prematurely and Ford will be bankrupted from class action lawsuits for knowingly selling millions of vehicles worldwide with a built-in self destruct (although most Chrysler products from the 1980's had that 'feature') . Even if this was the case and they knew it, they certainly wouldn't let that information leave the boardroom.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #1929
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100905
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
I have the issues too and I always get the run-around....what do we do? I mean I like the car otherwise but this tranny is lousy. I hit 13,000 miles about a week ago and it's getting worse. I'm so frustrated that if I can't unload this car I will turn it in for repossession. I'd rather ruin my credit than drive a car like this.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #1930
Deniron
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115721
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Blue

FF Reputation: 1 Deniron Good Standing Member
Here's the thing. I purchased a used 2012 Ford Focus SE about 3 weeks ago, and it has approximately 34000 miles (or in Canada about 51000kms.) I have felt the same "shudder" on take off and it does "feel" like it will stall while at at stop sign or traffic light. It has never stalled however, but, you feel like it will. I took it to the dealer and they said everything was "normal" and they couldn't "duplicate" the issue. Well, I'm not an idiot, I have owned about 13 cars, so, I know the difference between a shudder and not. I was also given that 3 page document, but, told them that document was to be given to "new" customers, I have 36000 miles so, I'm pretty sure it's broken in. Was there ever a TSB on this? Thanks to all

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.