Mellow MagnaFlow - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
ahsfba
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102000
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 ahsfba Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mellow MagnaFlow

Just got the MagnaFlow cat-back exhaust system (15072) installed on my 2012 hatch. The tone is gorgeous and the car pulls beautifully now, but I was expecting it to be a little louder. From what I've read, there is a break in period of a couple thousand miles with these things, but the noise will only increase slightly. Some say to delete the middle resonator and that should increase the volume a bit more. Is this a good route to take? How much will this affect volume and/or horsepower?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
wacky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110451
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 wacky Good Standing Member
the resonator shouldn't have any affect on your horsepower.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
FocusBoy58
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03

Fan#: 38424
What I Drive: 01 Turbo,12 SE,95 Vette 396

FF Reputation: 14 FocusBoy58 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsfba View Post
Just got the MagnaFlow cat-back exhaust system (15072) installed on my 2012 hatch. The tone is gorgeous and the car pulls beautifully now, but I was expecting it to be a little louder. From what I've read, there is a break in period of a couple thousand miles with these things, but the noise will only increase slightly. Some say to delete the middle resonator and that should increase the volume a bit more. Is this a good route to take? How much will this affect volume and/or horsepower?
I would leave the Magnaflow the way it is. Just in case you add the big boy headers down the road for that extra 10-12whp.

Also for it to stay mellow even with headers. The Magnaflow sounds great as is..
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Once it's "broke in" it will get louder. It's not to the point where it shatters your ear drums, but it produces a really nice note. Mine is pretty loud when I step on it, but cruising along at 70-75mph you can barely hear it in the car.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
ahsfba
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky View Post
the resonator shouldn't have any affect on your horsepower.
Thanks. This is my first time installing aftermarket exhaust on a vehicle. I didn't think removing the resonator would do anything to the horsepower since it's essentially the same principle as a lunchbox delete, but I had to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
Once it's "broke in" it will get louder. It's not to the point where it shatters your ear drums, but it produces a really nice note. Mine is pretty loud when I step on it, but cruising along at 70-75mph you can barely hear it in the car.
Thank you! That's what I've been reading. Towards the end of my commute today it seemed to get quite a bit louder and throatier. Even if it gets only slightly louder, I'll be completely happy. The tone itself is awesome! Glad I spent the extra on the MagnaFlow
Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
ahsfba
Focus Enthusiast

A few days ago I got the center resonator removed just to see what it'd be like ($50). The car sounds amazing! I'll try to get a youtube video up within the next few days :)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
ChalupaJones
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110818
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus S

FF Reputation: 2 ChalupaJones Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsfba View Post
A few days ago I got the center resonator removed just to see what it'd be like ($50). The car sounds amazing! I'll try to get a youtube video up within the next few days :)
Got a vid up yet?
Military crew, Blue Focus Crew, Chalupa Crew #1
Old 04-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
ahsfba
Focus Enthusiast

Sorry, didn't realize there was still interest! I may be able to get one up tonight. I still get whiffs of that new exhaust smell on occasion, so I think it's still breaking in.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
ahsfba
Focus Enthusiast

Alright. I was able to shoot a really quick video when I got home from work. I'm trying to get hold of my buddy's nice video camera to give you guys something better.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
meattooth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97031
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, se hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 meattooth Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Where is the middle resonator on the magnaflow system? Am I missing something?

Edit: nevermind I see now that the word middle was used in the first post then center was used later.... carry on I love magnaflow!
Sonic Crew #012 E-123 Omega

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->