How-To: DIY SRI - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
Roland07
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51147
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 51 Roland07 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thumbs up How-To: DIY SRI

Hi all! Second writeup, and it's a simple procedure, so I'll be brief. We're all familiar with the Stealth CAI mod by BlazingCopperZX3, and this is in the same vein. I first did the Stealth mod, and then this. There was a slightly noticeable pep from the Stealth mod, and this yielded much more noticeable power gains.

This mod retains AND PERMANENTLY ALTERS your stock MAF tube. Do NOT do this mod if you plan to return to stock, unless you have a spare tube lying around.

It will only cost as much as a new air filter and possibly an 2.5" - 3" adaptor.

This is the first step - the modified MAF sensor bracket.

In order to utilize your MAF tube for this, you're going to have to reverse the sensor itself. Remove your MAF sensor, and flip it, then put it back in the slot - you'll notice both screw holes are about a quarter inch out of alignment in one direction. You need to cut into the plastic of the tube, removing as much material as you need from one side to line up the screws. I did this with my handy Craftsman Rotary tool and a universal cutter bit.

Once you get the MAF back in, run some silicone sealant around the edges, since cutting the hole will render the stock rubber grommet useless. Let it cure for a while before running it.

Here's the modified tube.

When you remove your MAF tube, it will have a metal bracket around it which bolts into your frame. Remove this, and cut the tube in half between the two plastic ribs where the bracket was. Then, using your dremel, or whatever means you have, grind down the remaining rib so all you have is a small lip, as shown. The diameter of the tube will be 2.5", and the lip will be 2.75", ensuring that you will have to slip your adaptor snugly over the lip before clamping it down. Note that the BOTTOM end of the tube (the one that used to go into your stock filter box) is now the "TOP," that is to say it will be attached to your throttle body boot. It will require no modification, you can use the existing hose clamp.

Like so!

You can use whichever filter you like. I did the APC one 'cause it was available and fit my needs. I will be fabbing a heat shield / mounting bracket for this at some time, and if the process is easy enough to write out, I'll append this how-to with the details.

To my knowledge this is exactly like a Steeda SRI. I definitely noticed an improvement in response and power.

Happy modding!

L.O.T.H. #9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
cruzstyle
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12277
What I Drive: 2005 white focus zx3

FF Reputation: 5 cruzstyle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
this was the same mod i did a how to in 2005 except i didnt flip the MAF because it was already facing the right way. good job though on the write up
Old 05-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
DIY Steeda!

Nice job
Old 05-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Roland07
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51147
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 51 Roland07 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thanks both, I didn't know you did one Cruz. Did they add it to the archive?
L.O.T.H. #9
Old 05-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
cruzstyle
Focus Fanatic

i just ran a search and there was about 3 threads of custom SRI all the same just like the one u made
Old 05-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
cruzstyle
Focus Fanatic

heres one of them

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=50693
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
ebruss45
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111354
What I Drive: 2006 silver ZX3 hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 ebruss45 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
just wondering what you did with the rubber hose coming off the air silencer box right under the little filter gage that goes to the radiator hose? didnt see this thread before i made my own thread, maybe you could check it out

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311648

Bookmarks & Social Networks