MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101 - Page 32 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #311
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Had the oil changed today at 461, I was at the dealership for a mud guard install, it was $19.95 extra and I got my first good look under the car, that alone was worth it to me. No leaks and no large particles in the oil that I could see. I listened closely to the initial start up and couldn't hear anything strange but I was in the garage so I may have missed it. My Olds Acheiva used to make a hell of a racket after an oil change.

I plan on doing the Amsoil By-Pass install as soon as funds allow, hopefully around 1000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #312
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive. But Stark said Honda is the only manufacturer he knows that's using special break-in oil. The take-away? If there are any special break-in recommendations from the manufacturer, follow them. And consider analyzing the oil at 3,000 miles.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-...motor-oil.html
Honda would be an exception not the rule, hence why I said that pretty much there is no special break in oil anymore. I didn't say it was 100% of the time.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #313
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
I'm considering getting one of these Accusump accumulators/primers as well as doing a catch-can, and mechanical oil pressure+temp gauge install. Someone from an Audi forum turned me onto the Accusump, as a means to prevent as much start-up wear as possible.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...&category=2410

I'd have to figure out what bits are needed exactly to patch it into the Focus' system.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #314
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
I'm considering getting one of these Accusump accumulators/primers as well as doing a catch-can, and mechanical oil pressure+temp gauge install. Someone from an Audi forum turned me onto the Accusump, as a means to prevent as much start-up wear as possible.

I'd have to figure out what bits are needed exactly to patch it into the Focus' system.
$1k to "protect" the motor, or $1k to build the motor... hmm
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #315
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Build with what? It's not like we have cams, throttle bodies, inlet, injectors, pumps, or any of that stuff for the Mk. III. I throw on a header and flex pipe with what I have now, and I'll be maxed. :( $280+ some odds and ends for an accumulator doesn't sound like a bad investment to me.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #316
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComet View Post

Last I heard and admittedly, it was over ten years ago, they used those for the turbos. I know that they don't use them now for that but why would you want that in this day and age? For start up oiling?

I don't believe that I have ever heard of a 'catch can' except on this forum, anyone here like to school me on what that is? I seem to be woefully out of date on some things.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #317
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Honda would be an exception not the rule, hence why I said that pretty much there is no special break in oil anymore. I didn't say it was 100% of the time.
I guess I took your statement to suggest that only small-volume or niche brands or models were sold with what the manufacturer considers to be a don't-change-early break in oil. When in reality nearly 1 in 10 cars sold in the U.S. have a break in oil.

My bad.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #318
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I guess I took your statement to suggest that only small-volume or niche brands or models were sold with what the manufacturer considers to be a don't-change-early break in oil. When in reality nearly 1 in 10 cars sold in the U.S. have a break in oil.

My bad.
Specifically when the original poster suggesting that Ford was using special break in oils with "microparticles" this was an extremely false statement. Factory fill is the same 5w20 semi-synthetic oil as is sold elsewhere with no special additives.

There are some exceptions that are not niche players, like Honda, but more often than not these days that is still a widely believed old wives tale.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #319
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Specifically when the original poster suggesting that Ford was using special break in oils with "microparticles" this was an extremely false statement. Factory fill is the same 5w20 semi-synthetic oil as is sold elsewhere with no special additives.
I do agree wit dat.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #320
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97166
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7278 View Post
I agree with you (well, the MMW Act) that it has to be proven, but that's an unneeded headache - I've been there on an unrelated issue when it came to a warranty claim. Lawyers can get expensive. *shudder*

It's just easier to find a quality oil that meets the specification and not worry about it, rather than saving a few cents using an inferior oil.
An expensive private lawyer is not needed to force a manufacturer to stand behind their warranty.
A phone call to the State Attorney General's office, or Office of Consumer Affairs is all that's needed.

Bookmarks & Social Networks