2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 75 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #741
chinombre
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111287
What I Drive: 2012 Gray Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 chinombre Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My 2012 Focus SE has experienced the same DCT transmission induced shake/shudder/stall documented ad nauseam on this forum.

The dealership ran tests and apparently there's no technical issue with the transmission (other than inherent design flaws).

My only satisfaction is that I was able to get the kind service rep to admit that it's an engineering/design flaw by Ford. The countdown until my lease is up stands at 14 months. Can't wait 'til it's over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #742
cuozc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107955
What I Drive: 2012 red Focus se

FF Reputation: 1 cuozc Good Standing Member
Haven't come back for a while since my auto transmission replacement a couple of months ago.
Really hope all the owners find a nice dealer as I did. I simply took my car in and describe the problem, which was merely vibrating upshifting 1-2. The dealer replaced the whole transmission for me, which took over a week due to back order parts.

Now, after >1000 miles, it's time to report back.
Overall, it has become a smooth drive, with a tiny little shaking taking a fast go steep uphill from stop, not bad at all. I consider it normal for a DCT, given previous experience form driving a manual. Occasionally very slight grinding noise, barely audible with windows rolled down.
No change in MPG, around 26/38.

Good luck to you all! And hope this transmission lasts.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #743
CamoChck
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111318
What I Drive: 2012 red ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 CamoChck Good Standing Member
Thumbs down 2012 Focus Transmission issues

I purchased my 2012 focus SE with flex fuel 7 months ago. From day one the car would shudder, and studder into gears. I was told by the dealer ship that my engine and transmission would be fully broken in by 3000 miles. My car is at almost 10,000 miles today, and right now it is at the dealership for servicing. Couple days ago i pulled out of a driveway, put the car in drive, and the car went to 5000 rpm's and didnt do anything, almost like it was stuck in neutral. I double checked to make sure i just didnt have it in the right gear, but it was in drive. The car finally switched into first gear, went about 10 miles an hour, went in and out of gears, and was not right. Pulled over into a driveway, put the car in park, backed out a minute later, put it in drive, but this time it just didnt do anything.. attempted one more time, after i put it in drive i started down the road, shifted funny going into second i think, and then rpms went through the roof again at 20 mph. Had to put my hazards on to attempt to make it to a gas station. After i turned my car off and on it worked okay. I am very upset with this situation.. the dealership tried to tell me i had it in low gear all of the four times i tried to put the car in drive. I didn't. I had two other people in the car with me and they all checked to make sure i wasnt missing anything. It was just the car. I refuse to spend twenty thousand dollars on a faulty car that i feel unsafe in.

As of now i am driving a relatives 2012 f150, and i have noticed a tremendous difference in the driving of this truck vs. the car. I understand they are completely different transmissions and engines, but this is the way that a ford is suppossed to run. Not like the jallopy focus that i purchased.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #744
chinombre
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinombre View Post
My 2012 Focus SE has experienced the same DCT transmission induced shake/shudder/stall documented ad nauseam on this forum.

The dealership ran tests and apparently there's no technical issue with the transmission (other than inherent design flaws).

My only satisfaction is that I was able to get the kind service rep to admit that it's an engineering/design flaw by Ford. The countdown until my lease is up stands at 14 months. Can't wait 'til it's over!
UPDATE: While driving my car in to work this morning I've noticed that the problematic shudder is less pronounced. This means some kind maintenance was done when I dropped off the car yesterday, even though the service manager assured me that the transmission was operating "normally" and that I just wasn't accustomed to driving with it (absurd).

So I checked the maintenance form to pinpoint what action had been taken:

"Tech inspected the vehicle for the concern and found SSM 32052 as a possible cause for the concern. Tech found no evidence of any trans or engine fluid fleaks.

To correct the concern the tech cleaned G106 and performed SSM 32052 by reprogramming the PCM and TCM to the latest calibration and checked the vehicle from the underside, no signs of any leaks present at this time. Tech then performed an adaptive learning strategy for the transmission, drum, and clutch. Tech then performed a drive cycle and test drove the vehicle 9 miles. Tech found the vehicle operating as designed at this time."

Well son of a gun! I guess if I would've had the technical know-how to recalibrate my transmission (which by the way was "normal") then I could've saved the 3 hours it took driving to/from the dealership yesterday.

What a joke.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #745
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuozc View Post
Haven't come back for a while since my auto transmission replacement a couple of months ago.
Really hope all the owners find a nice dealer as I did. I simply took my car in and describe the problem, which was merely vibrating upshifting 1-2. The dealer replaced the whole transmission for me...
Great news, cuozc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoChck View Post
I purchased my 2012 focus SE with flex fuel 7 months ago. From day one the car would shudder, and studder into gears. I was told by the dealer ship that my engine and transmission would be fully broken in by 3000 miles. My car is at almost 10,000 miles today, and right now it is at the dealership for servicing...
Hi CamoChick,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work.

Quote:
UPDATE: While driving my car in to work this morning I've noticed that the problematic shudder is less pronounced. This means some kind maintenance was done when I dropped off the car yesterday, even though the service manager assured me that the transmission was operating "normally" and that I just wasn't accustomed to driving with it (absurd)...
Thanks for the update, chinombre. I would mention your experience to your regional customer service manager so they can address your concerns.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #746
focusdriver55
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111420
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 focusdriver55 Good Standing Member
entire transmission just replaced on my 2012 Focus

Wanted to share my story on here because it has been such an ordeal. Purchased my Ford Focus SE in April 2012 (I live in Los Angeles). It currently has 18K miles. A couple weeks ago I began hearing a grinding sound when the car was shifting from 4th to 5th gear (typically after 30 mph). My car was due for an oil change so I took it in and told them there was a grinding noise and explained it was probably the 5th gear. For the record I am a woman. I specifically asked the Service Rep to have a Shop Foreman drive my car before I got there to pick it up. When I arrived at the dealer, the Service Rep had not had anyone drive my car (" we didn't want to put miles on it") and told me its "normal" for this new transmission. I told him he was wrong and if he didn't have someone drive my car I was getting a lawyer. Well it worked. He rounded up a shop foreman, we dove the car together and he immediately said he was putting me in a rental car for the weekend, that the noise was not "normal". They had my car for two weeks (thankfully they paid for the rental). Originally they said it was my "bands". And they were on backorder. They ended up putting an entire new tran in my car because that was faster than waiting for the backordered parts. When I received the paperwork from the dealer it stated that there was "brass and metal fragments in my transmission fluid and in my transmission". Reminder my car is a year old. Thank god I have had all the service done at the dealer so they couldn't blame dirty trans fluid on me or another garage. I still do not know the entire story as the paperwork I receive is just a "summary" of the technicians write up. I am tempted to demand the entire log. There is something wrong with these transmissions! Buy the extended warranty everyone! They are telling all of the Focus owners that the transmission jerking is normal but I think they are lying.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #747
chinombre
Focus Rookie

Quote:
UPDATE: While driving my car in to work this morning I've noticed that the problematic shudder is less pronounced. This means some kind maintenance was done when I dropped off the car yesterday, even though the service manager assured me that the transmission was operating "normally" and that I just wasn't accustomed to driving with it (absurd).

So I checked the maintenance form to pinpoint what action had been taken:

"Tech inspected the vehicle for the concern and found SSM 32052 as a possible cause for the concern. Tech found no evidence of any trans or engine fluid fleaks.

To correct the concern the tech cleaned G106 and performed SSM 32052 by reprogramming the PCM and TCM to the latest calibration and checked the vehicle from the underside, no signs of any leaks present at this time. Tech then performed an adaptive learning strategy for the transmission, drum, and clutch. Tech then performed a drive cycle and test drove the vehicle 9 miles. Tech found the vehicle operating as designed at this time."

Well son of a gun! I guess if I would've had the technical know-how to recalibrate my transmission (which by the way was "normal") then I could've saved the 3 hours it took driving to/from the dealership yesterday.

What a joke.
UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with a Ford customer service manager. He basically reiterated that technically there's no problem with the DCT transmission; it's just a different design/feel for American drivers. That's fine, but if this American driver starts to feel uncomfortable driving this car again, he'll dump it in favor of something made for Americans by the Japanese.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #748
chinombre
Focus Rookie

Quote:
UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with a Ford customer service manager. He basically reiterated that technically there's no problem with the DCT transmission; it's just a different design/feel for American drivers. That's fine, but if this American driver starts to feel uncomfortable driving this car again, he'll dump it in favor of something made for Americans by the Japanese.
And an offer to refund the rental that I needed so they could put a band-aid on this POS transmission would've been nice.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #749
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85864
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
I've got the transmission shudder problem on my 2012. It happens on odd-to-even gear changes and is especially bad on the 3-4 change at moderate acceleration. I took off the underside cover panel and found fluid had leaked from the bottom of the bell housing gasket, although it hasn't been so much leakage as to drip onto the cover panel below.

Just so I am pre-armed, am I still likely to get the "this is normal, nothing we can do" runaround when I take it to the dealer?

I believe this is covered by TSB 11-12-13, does anyone know where I can find the actual text of that TSB?

Someone posted pictures of the trans. fluid leak on one of these forums once, does anyone remember which of the many problem topics that was in?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #750
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
I've got the transmission shudder problem on my 2012. It happens on odd-to-even gear changes and is especially bad on the 3-4 change at moderate acceleration.
Same here - I should check for a leak myself. I haven't checked myself for about 15k miles because it's winter and Ford has been changing my oil for free.

Quote:
Just so I am pre-armed, am I still likely to get the "this is normal, nothing we can do" runaround when I take it to the dealer?
If you don't mention the leak, yes. 1000 times yes.

Quote:
Someone posted pictures of the trans. fluid leak on one of these forums once, does anyone remember which of the many problem topics that was in?
Here's one of many: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=296979&page=3

Bookmarks & Social Networks