Perimeter alarm on 2012 Focus? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #21
FFHatch2013
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107544
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 FFHatch2013 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A year and a half in and no one seems to know what perimeter alarm is for still. I'm debating whether adding an after-market security for my 13 SE Hatch is worth the money but even the internet does not seem to have an answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #22
celestialgrave
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108369
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE w/Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 celestialgrave Good Standing Member
Alarm system is useless

I learned the hard way how useless the alarm is. My car wasn't stolen, wasn't broken into, but my wheels were stolen and left on blocks...Did get wheel locks this time but even when I was talking to the dealership they said it'll only deter the amateurs, that the pros most likely already have a set of master keys anyhow.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #23
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
As mentioned previously, if the alarm is set and the door is opened, NOT UNLOCKED, the alarm will go off after giving a few warning beeps.

how to test this:

Roll down window.
Set alarm.
Reach into car and pull door handle.

or

Be inside the car.
Lock the doors and set the alarm via key Fob. (this probably won't work if you have keyless start)
Open door by pulling the handle.
Alarm will beep before going off.

edit: There may also be a time delay of 30 seconds or so before the alarm is activated after you set it. So wait 30 seconds or so before trying to open the door to test the alarm.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #24
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialgrave View Post
I learned the hard way how useless the alarm is. My car wasn't stolen, wasn't broken into, but my wheels were stolen and left on blocks...Did get wheel locks this time but even when I was talking to the dealership they said it'll only deter the amateurs, that the pros most likely already have a set of master keys anyhow.
People still do this crap? You should check online to see who is selling.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #25
bvrplzr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108628
What I Drive: 2013 performance blue focus titaniu

FF Reputation: 1 bvrplzr Good Standing Member
even if your alarm did sense that your window was broke and your ipad is out in the open it will probably still get stolen.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #26
Faygo Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85587
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Ti with James Bond Pkg

FF Reputation: 2 Faygo Focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
The owner's manual is a great reference for this type of information.
And the back arrow on the browser is a good way to not read a post. Why not talk about things that we can look up? Its better than talking about why the DCT shifts like a manual and the end of the world is upon us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
- Open a window, Arm the car (this is to simulate a smashed open window), then press the unlock button (even Baltimore crackheads can probably see the unlock button) DOES NOT sound the alarm
Actually, I think this is a good reason for the unlock button to be on the dashboard instead of the door armrest or close to the window. So, some dude is going to smash your window, then start pressing buttons on your dashboard before opening the door? I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lddavis View Post
There are systems to detect windows that use either microphones (to detect the sound of glass breaking) or air pressure sensors (to detect the sudden change).
What happens if you're driving down the street and your girlfriend/wife suddenly gets angry for no reason you can explain and starts screaming? Does the air pressure sensor go off and sound the alarm? Might not matter since her screaming is probably louder than the alarm so you would tune both out simultaneously.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #27
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
"Recently we had break ins in all of the employee cars at my work. they hit every single car in the lot, including a brand new malibu and lexus GS, but did not touch mine....god bless. They bashed the windows in and stole change/GPS's/cellphones/checkbooks. Havent tinted my windows and I had nothing laying out on the seats, so I guess they skipped it thinking it had nothing in it, but I still count my blessings. Desperate Baltimore crackheads."

WOW ! And I thought we had it bad in NOTlanta !

We should have a THUG COMPETITION between Atlanta, Baltimore, and Detroit (all wonderful places for sure)........
Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #28
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99542
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Metallic Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 CDNFocusFan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
That's probably just you re-locking the door with the IA sensor. At least, that's what happens to me when I wash my car.
Mine's also done this without the key fob in my pocket. It's not just the chirp from locking the doors it's definitely an alarm. I think it has some sort of impact detection because I once slipped on ice and bumped into my car pretty hard (luckily no damage) but enough to thump it about the same as slamming a door and the alarm went off. Maybe that's a fluke though.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #29
rexazz2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 121761
What I Drive: 2014 HB SE

FF Reputation: 1 rexazz2 Good Standing Member
SOOO
I haven't got around to installing a remote start yet
Was wondering about the whole "alarm"
Today I started with one key then locked up the car with the second remote fob
After the car was warmed up , unlocked again with the second remote (NO BELLS or WHISTLES)
Figured I would do the test on the weekend rather than 5am on a Weekday , sparing the neighbors an early wake up

Bookmarks & Social Networks