Blew A Tire Last Week - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Blew A Tire Last Week

I ran over a large rock in the road doing about 40 Mph last week and blew out the front drivers side tire . It made one helluva loud noise as I muttered a few choice four letter words thinking that the wheel was toasted and undercarriage possibly damaged.

It turns out that the only damage was to the tire. Those factory painted aluminum wheels are tougher than they look, it should have been bent up like a pretzel or at least cracked. I had the dealer inspect the undercarriage and they couldn't find any damage.

The car handled great, not once did I lose control as I moved off to the side of the road into a parking lot to change the tire. It's nice to have a spare tire even if it is a cheapo donut. A lot of new cars only come with a can of Fix-A-Flat which do you absolutely no good when the sidewall is blown out.

Btw, the supplied car jack sucks but it's better than nothing.

I replaced the tire with a new Continental but it had to be ordered out of Cali, the tire shop couldn't find one locally. I was told they're pretty good tires and that's certainly been my experience. No alignment seems necessary, the car still drives nice and straight but I am going to get it checked soon anyway.

The Focus is a tough little car. I've owned it exactly one year as of March 6th and it's been subjected to all kinds of road hazards and held up like a champ.

Last edited by oritpro; 03-07-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Great that no damage other than tire blew.
I want to say though, this is the second tire which has failed from a hit.
(the other was hitting a curb.
Makes it clear to me these tires are not too strong.
So everyone be aware these things are happening.
I have never heard of tires failing like this for one car... really.
So Ford should start keeping track of this problem.
Seriously. even though it is only two blown tires. It still matters as (like I wrote) it is a rare issue, and a serious one.
AKA Firestone...??

(and I personally will be careful about it myself, realizing some of these tires are fragile)
Your opinion may vary.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
I curbed one of my tires with less than 1000 miles on it, going 5mph or less and it SHREDDED the sidewall of the tire.

When I went my Ford dealer, the tech said these tires "were soft" and easily damaged.

It was ridiculous how barely touching the curb shredded the side of the tire. The tire didn't lose air, but a huge chunk of rubber was hanging off with the metal strands exposed.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
1badgmc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105435
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 1badgmc Good Standing Member
I ran over something about a month ago that took out my left rear tire. It wasn't a blowout. It took about 15 miles before it was done for, but it still sucked. The jack does suck, but I was pleased to find a full-size spare and not a donut. Thankfully I bought the TireCare warranty so I didn't have to shell out the $318 for the new tire. I also guess I should have paid more attention to the tires when I bought the car as I was shocked to find they only have a 20,000 mile warranty and I already have 16,000 miles on the car. I definitely won't be putting these Michelins back on when it's time to replace them in a few short months.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
I ran over something about a month ago that took out my left rear tire. It wasn't a blowout. It took about 15 miles before it was done for, but it still sucked. The jack does suck, but I was pleased to find a full-size spare and not a donut. Thankfully I bought the TireCare warranty so I didn't have to shell out the $318 for the new tire. I also guess I should have paid more attention to the tires when I bought the car as I was shocked to find they only have a 20,000 mile warranty and I already have 16,000 miles on the car. I definitely won't be putting these Michelins back on when it's time to replace them in a few short months.
$318 for a new tire? Ouch! I paid $170 and I thought that was steep, but it was cheaper than buying four new tires.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Great that no damage other than tire blew.
I want to say though, this is the second tire which has failed from a hit.
(the other was hitting a curb.
Makes it clear to me these tires are not too strong.
So everyone be aware these things are happening.
I have never heard of tires failing like this for one car... really.
So Ford should start keeping track of this problem.
Seriously. even though it is only two blown tires. It still matters as (like I wrote) it is a rare issue, and a serious one.
AKA Firestone...??

(and I personally will be careful about it myself, realizing some of these tires are fragile)
Your opinion may vary.
Please don't incite fear and paranoia like that. Any tire can blow if people run over rocks or curbs in certain situations or at high speeds.

Let me just say that our Continental ContiPro Contact tires are a popular OEM tire for many manufactures including Volkswagen, Mercedes, BMW, Mini, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and GM, just to name a few. They're a German company and one of the largest tire manufactures in the world. It is thoroughly reviewed http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ontiProContact

My previous Scion had Bridgestones and my Mazda had Dunlops, both of which blew out when I accidentally ran over rocks on the road at highway speeds. My point is, any tire can fail in certain damage situations.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonpalm View Post
Please don't incite fear and paranoia like that. All tires will blow if people run over rocks or curbs in certain situations or at high speeds.

Let me just say that our Continental ContiPro Contact tires are a popular OEM tire for many manufactures including Volkswagen, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Mini, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and GM, just to name a few. They're a German company and one of the largest tire manufactures in the world. It is thoroughly reviewed http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ontiProContact

My previous Scion had Bridgestones and my Mazda had Dunlops, both of which blew out when I accidentally ran over rocks on the road at highway speeds. My point is, any tire can fail in certain damage situations.

Can't be that popular of a tire since hardly anyone carries it in stock. The OP said it had to be ordered out because one could not be found locally. Same for me when I needed it replaced, 5 local tire shops did not carry it, ford had to order one for me.

If I still have this car in a year, it will not be getting replacement continentals.

Even in the link you posted, it only has a 6.7 out of 10 score. Not that great.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
Can't be that popular of a tire since hardly anyone carries it in stock. The OP said it had to be ordered out because one could not be found locally. Same for me when I needed it replaced, 5 local tire shops did not carry it, ford had to order one for me.

If I still have this car in a year, it will not be getting replacement continentals.

Sometimes OEM tires have to be ordered because shops usually don't sell OEM. However, the dealer should have them in stock. Different dealers = different results I guess.

Tire Rack rated it 7.05/10 and gave it 2nd place compared to Bridgestone Turanza Serenity (Grand Touring All-Season),
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring (Grand Touring All-Season) and Michelin Primacy MXM4 (Grand Touring All-Season). Users rated it 6.7/10 out of 971 reviews, which seems pretty popular to me.

My point is it's a popular OEM tire that's not terrible or substandard, like the linked post implied. It's certainly not the best tire but it's a good OEM tire.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
1badgmc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105435
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 1badgmc Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
$318 for a new tire? Ouch! I paid $170 and I thought that was steep, but it was cheaper than buying four new tires.
Yeah. Crazy. I've admittedly touched triple digit speeds a few times in this car, but I have no need for a Z-rated tire. I don't think my Focus is in any danger of pushing the limits that far. The next set of tires won't be coming from the dealer and they won't be Z-rated.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post

Maybe an area thing, because tire stores in the Daytona area carry Contis fine. That being said, I will probably replace them with something else also, due to them being fairly noisy. Then again, I had the same issue with the P6s on my 2006 ZX3.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->