Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 192 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #1911
BobsFord
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114741
What I Drive: 2012, Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 BobsFord Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Dealer telling me shudder problem is the clutch

Took my 2012 SEL hatchback DPS6 with 20K miles in to the dealer because the shudder had turned into a rattling noise with slight hesitation when cruising at 45-55MPH over rolling terrain. Shuddering had been happening since day 3.

They just called to say it was the clutch and it's on backorder, but the car was not safe to drive. When questioned he said there was a known problem with them. When pressed further if it had been re-designed since it was such a big problem he said yes.

They did agree to give me a loaner.

For what it's worth, I had to replace the right rear wheel bearing at about 10K miles too. Waiting to see what happens at 30 K :/ maybe a lemon declaration.

Oh yeah, almost forgot that they still have yet to get my Health Reports to send over my wife's Verizon cell nor my nTelos cell. I was promised extra free months, but kinda useless at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #1912
RetiredSoon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114525
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 RetiredSoon Good Standing Member
Transmission/clutch shudder

I have 30,000 km's on my 2012 titanium focus and have been experiencing shuddering during 1st and 2nd gear while accelerating. The shuddering was minor when the car was cold but after driving for about 1/2 hour, it became very noticeable and annoying. I was finally able to get it into my dealer while it was acting up and the tech took it for a test drive and immediately said it was transmission shudder and he would have to reprogram it. Upon further investigation it seems that the clutch assembly and a few other items were nfg and new parts were ordered. It has been approx. 2 weeks and Ford said they are still waiting for the clutch components. So Ford is definitely aware of this issue and in my case, seemed to have no trouble diagnosing and attempting to fix the problem. My concern is, with the new parts, will this happen again in 30,000 km's?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #1913
sirsim
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102312
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sirsim Good Standing Member
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan with 10.7k miles on it. At about 7k miles, I had to replace the right front wheel bearing as it was making an obnoxious noise. Keep in mind at the time, I had the car for just over a year. Now I am starting to experience problems with the DCT such as a huge shudder when accelerating lightly or briskly in 3rd gear. The shudder in 1st gear is not really as noticeable as it used to be, but this 3rd gear shudder raises huge concerns. Especially when I'm trying to downshift and accelerate forward. This is only when the car has been running warm for a while. When it's cold, none of these problems occur. Does anyone know what exactly is wrong? I have talked to multiple Ford service departments and they are unable to help me.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #1914
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsim View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan with 10.7k miles on it. At about 7k miles, I had to replace the right front wheel bearing as it was making an obnoxious noise. Keep in mind at the time, I had the car for just over a year. Now I am starting to experience problems with the DCT such as a huge shudder when accelerating lightly or briskly in 3rd gear. The shudder in 1st gear is not really as noticeable as it used to be, but this 3rd gear shudder raises huge concerns. Especially when I'm trying to downshift and accelerate forward. This is only when the car has been running warm for a while. When it's cold, none of these problems occur. Does anyone know what exactly is wrong? I have talked to multiple Ford service departments and they are unable to help me.

Thanks!

Can't answer your question on the wheel bearing, hope I don't experience that problem as well.

The DCT has inherent issues and the problems you experienced, many others including myself have experienced as well. 3rd gear is probably the worst of the noise, grinding and shuddering. Mine appear whether it's cold or warm, doesn't matter.

I really do not believe there is a fix for the DCT, it's a problematic transmission that people either love or hate. I am in the hate category, I totally dislike the transmission, the way it sounds, shifts and performs. I am still stunned that Ford claims all of the noises, performance and etc "Normal" yet has "Squeak and Rattle Engineers" on staff probing the interior and exterior of the car with sound locating microphones.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #1915
jacad4241
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115066
What I Drive: 2012 silver Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 jacad4241 Good Standing Member
My daughter bought this 2012 Ford Focus SE with automatic transmission, and it has been a nightmare. It has over 30,000 miles and the transmission has never performed normal. It has been towed twice in the last week. Last time just stalled in the highway and had to be towed to the dealer, got it back and about 4 hours later had to be towed back again since it will not start. We got a rental for 2 days and got the car back today, but they said that they didn't find anything wrong with the car, by the way they drove the car over 100 miles and they said they put gasoline, but when I picked it up I almost didn't make it to the first gas station. This car is giving us headaches and it is very unsafe on the street.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #1916
75TM75
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115160
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 75TM75 Good Standing Member
Thumbs down 2012 Focus Auto Transmission issues.....Sync issues too.

I have a 2012 Focus SE hatchback with the powershift automatic transmission and have had all of the transmission rattling, bad shifting, clunking and hesitation that others on this forum have mentioned. The dealer has reprogrammed the transmission 3 times and it will run great for a few days before returning to it's clunkyness. I have 33k on my car and can tell you that the above mentioned issues do not ever go away or get better with "break in", this car has been a giant disappointment. For all of you that want to say that dual clutch automatic transmissions are supposed to feel and operate differently that traditional automatics, I offer this: I owned a 2010 VW Jetta TDI with a DSG transmission (dual clutch auto) and it was an awesome transmission, in normal operation it acted exactly like a regular automatic. In sport mode, the transmission would hold gears until the redline and shift quickly without any hesitation or clunkyness, plus it never rattled, stalled or sounded like someone was shaking a box full of parts.
I am now convinced that all of the automotive press are in the pocket of the manufacturers since the 2012 Focus was supposed to be "the equal of the best the Europeans can offer".....yeah right.

I would also like to mention that Sync is total crap, it doesn't work at all like it should, neither Ford or Microsoft had any effective answers to my questions.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #1917
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75TM75 View Post
I owned a 2010 VW Jetta TDI with a DSG transmission (dual clutch auto) and it was an awesome transmission, in normal operation it acted exactly like a regular automatic. In sport mode, the transmission would hold gears until the redline and shift quickly without any hesitation or clunkyness, plus it never rattled, stalled or sounded like someone was shaking a box full of parts.
The DCT would be much smoother if it were a wet-clutch transmission like the DSG. However, it isn't, and is much cheaper to maintain in the long run for that reason (dry clutch). Comparing wet-clutch and dry-clutch systems is not exactly comparing apples to apples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75TM75 View Post
I would also like to mention that Sync is total crap, it doesn't work at all like it should, neither Ford or Microsoft had any effective answers to my questions.
Most complaints have been from MyFord Touch owners. I see you have an SE, so I suppose you don't have the touch screen. What issue are you having with SYNC?
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #1918
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
The DCT would be much smoother if it were a wet-clutch transmission like the DSG. However, it isn't, and is much cheaper to maintain in the long run for that reason (dry clutch).
Speak for yourself - some of us need a new clutch every 20k miles.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #1919
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Speak for yourself - some of us need a new clutch every 20k miles.
OK, yeah, you have a point there...
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #1920
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
It hasn't been long enough to see if the DCT is cheaper than a wet clutch, true a wet clutch needs oil changes, but we have no idea what the dry clutch will need or how long it will last, and clutch changes are a couple thousand bucks.

As far as sync, mine doesn't respond to button pushes quite often, and has on a couple occasions connected phone but lost audio, or even connects audio and streams with "connecting..." still across the screen. It all works with multiple tries, either with voice or the rocker switch, but it is not solid. I rented a toyota that not only was rock solid, but would pick up the stream from my phone every time, the sync I always have to re-initiate to get it to connect audio each morning, although phone connects automatically.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->