Things to Consider about Hybrids - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
HenryDayFord
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110504
What I Drive: 2000 silver BMW

FF Reputation: 1 HenryDayFord Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Things to Consider about Hybrids

Some Things to Consider When Buying a Hybrid
You know that feeling when you’re standing in the driveway, staring despondently at your compact car and the pile of snowboarding gear on the ground by the wheel base? You know it’s just never going to fit. You’ve been driving up and down the canyon every winter for the past ten years and as your snowboarding essentials reproduce, for some reason your car is getting smaller. Not to mention less fuel efficient. Rusted. Rickety. Today’s economy makes for a depressing world and you’re seriously debating joining a bridge club…and jumping off next Wednesday.
Maybe this is the year to make a change.
Size
You expect nothing less than a safe, comfortable, snow-durable means for transport. Your new investment hast to be able to tackle the challenging roads of uneven hazards that are blanketed in the icy Utah snow. The good thing about deciding which Hybrid car would best suit your needs is all the options you have in make and model. Some Hybrids range from two-seaters, five-seaters like the Ford Focus, to full nine-seater SUVs. The Ford Fusion and Ford Focus are both dependable conventional compact Hybrids. Taking a gander at your snowboarding gear, you remind yourself that larger is probably better for you.
Price
Something to consider…you just spent over a grand on a season pass to your favorite ski resort. The fact that Hybrid cars can be up to twenty percent more expensive than a conventional, gas-powered engine can sometimes make them a luxurious but only dreamed of purchase. It’s not often a middle class, hard-working man like yourself can drop $100,000 on a fully loaded, upgraded Hybrid. Even the cheapest models are still around $20,000. Now, sometimes the advanced electric cars can be a state and federal tax right off, but the price is definitely something you want to consider for your budget.
Engine
Something to take into consideration when you’re comparing the purchase price to the lower running costs is the gas mileage. For a higher priced Hybrid, your gas mileage will increase significantly. You can expect 4-50mpg. This could be greatly beneficial since you’ll be perusing the mountainsides multiple times a week. With a less expensive model you won’t see as drastic of a fuel improvement, but you’ll be spending less up front. It is crucial to understand what you are getting for what you paid. Knowing when the engine shuts off and the electric powered turns on as you cruise around town could help you decide which model is best for you.
Running Costs
This isn’t like the shelf-life of your snowboard and getting your money’s worth out of it. It could be decades before the increased purchase price of a Ford Focus matches the cheaper running costs you’ve been calculating; it might not. What would happen if you spent more money up front on an expensive model, and several years down the road were finding it difficult to even purchase that snowboarding pass? All wise things to ponder about, especially since you’ve developed an attachment to the spacious interior and you’re accustomed to the quiet drive. How about repairs and maintenance? More often than not, you can assume your Hybrid will come with an extended warranty and won’t have to fear replacing any parts that may go out. Luckily, battery packs are not as expensive as consumers feared they would be. Talk to that neighbor of yours you always see driving by with a heap of ski paraphernalia stacked on top of his Ford Focus Hybrid.
Features
Similar to other compact cars, a compact Ford Focus Hybrid can seat four adults in a comfortable space, although they usually have five seats. Don’t forget, however, that because of the battery packs you will lose some cargo space. Hm…your precious snowboard equipment needs to be able to breathe too. Other features are common to other conventional vehicles, like an iPod interface, automatic climate control, navigation systems, keyless start, and Bluetooth capabilities. You can generally count on the start-stop controls, regenerative braking, and electric drive. It would be optimal to test drive different Hybrid models to see if there is one to meet all your needs while still being cost efficient.
This year, enjoy your snowboarding season while contributing to the green energy that keeps your treasured mountain’s alive!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
TL;DR.

Don't buy a hybrid. Buy a diesel and it will last forever.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Virginia is contemplating a hybrid penalty. Hybrids use too little fuel, and the state fuel tax revenues are suffering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibooya View Post
TL;DR.
Don't buy a hybrid. Buy a diesel and it will last forever.
Wait til the geniuses in DC start mandating ethanol in your diesel fuel!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainest View Post
Virginia is contemplating a hybrid penalty. Hybrids use too little fuel, and the state fuel tax revenues are suffering.
Link? That's hilarious.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibooya View Post
Link? That's hilarious.
NPR last week, and...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2727142.html
Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
thehubster
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46763
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 2 thehubster Good Standing Member
wow. I think its a good idea. we do eventually end up with no gas powered cars on the roads how would the states pay to take care of the roads. I dont really think that gas will go away. I hate hybrids and electric cars. they just can't do what our cars do. The point is that there are a bunch of people getting butt hurt over the government trying to get the money back that they have lost with people going to hybrids.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainest View Post
Right, because hybrids are like 2% of all cars on American roads so they are obviously are the cause of reduced gas tax revenues in Virginia. The larger cause of reduced gas tax revenue is much more likely to be the recession and the fact that people w/o jobs drive much less and that because gasoline is now very expensive many people cannot afford to drive like they had in the past. But...hybrids make an easy political target that sounds good until you look into the actual facts.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
gfaemrvk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110972
What I Drive: 2010,red,bmw

FF Reputation: 1 gfaemrvk Good Standing Member
The point is that there are a bunch of people getting butt hurt over the government trying to get the money back that they have lost with people going to hybrids.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
Right, because hybrids are like 2% of all cars on American roads so they are obviously are the cause of reduced gas tax revenues in Virginia. The larger cause of reduced gas tax revenue is much more likely to be the recession and the fact that people w/o jobs drive much less and that because gasoline is now very expensive many people cannot afford to drive like they had in the past. But...hybrids make an easy political target that sounds good until you look into the actual facts.
This.

Some people really lack critical thinking skills if they tow the line on this hybrid penalty. Besides, people who drive hybrids already pay the penalty of rightly being laughed at. Most hybrids don't make up the increased initial cost vs. gas savings during the average service life 1 owner keeps a car.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehubster View Post
I hate hybrids and electric cars. they just can't do what our cars do.
What exactly can a regular car do that a hybrid can't? My Focus and C-Max seem pretty interchangeable.

Bookmarks & Social Networks