2013 Ford Focus Titanium Transmission Problem - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

Points 659, Level 13
Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coputeryoda2600 View Post
Question I live in California and was wondering as to anyone having a problem with the transmission in a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium and any other problems. I purchased the car is September 2012 with 25 miles and it was good until day three, at 80 miles the car bucked and shuttered from stop to go. Going up hill the car would barley make a 5 to 10 degree sloped hill and when I stop the car would jerk forward I took it back and the dealer told me to just keep driving the car. It got to the point where I couldn't make my drive way at 257 miles and took it back in again the dealer said that the transmission is to new to drive it more. No, improvement at around 800 miles and took it in to another dealer on my way home because I couldn't get the car to shift into second. That dealer reprogrammed the computer and it was good for about 8 miles then the car would just buck. I drove the car to 1136 miles and took it in for the transmission and the backup camera that now points to the ground. Again they are telling me there is nothing wrong with the transmission nor the backup camera that again points to the bumper/ground. I drove it home got to the hill to me driveway and it struggled up the hill. Called up the dealer and told them what had happened but they said that the transmission is fine and I'll have to drive the car more. I have 1746 on the car right now with very little improvement with the transmission and crap backup camera and now it make a rattling noise under the car and the transmission makes noise badly. I've looked into the lemon law but do to the dealer telling me there is nothing wrong with the transmission the lemon law will not apply. Any one have problems or any suggestions on what I can due? Thanks. -Mike
Wow, sorry to hear about your issues. My 2012 Titanium built in May of this has never had an issue and I'm getting close to 5k miles. You are much more patient and forgiving than I would be! That transmission is NOT behaving correctly and it should be fixed before you are killed. This is a great car and I love mine, but if I had the issues some of you are having I'd be on the way to lemon law hearings by now.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 AM   #12
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

Points 659, Level 13
Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Here's a video I made of my car for another thread. You can see how great it shifts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxmLC_4Fg1k
Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,298, Level 35
Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coputeryoda2600 View Post
...I have 1746 on the car right now with very little improvement with the transmission and crap backup camera and now it make a rattling noise under the car and the transmission makes noise badly. I've looked into the lemon law but do to the dealer telling me there is nothing wrong with the transmission...
Hi coputeryoda2600,

Just a heads up: I responded to your PM. If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to send me another message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
There are countless threads on this already if you were to look for them. There are Ford representatives on this site also can help get the dealer to do something.
Thanks for the endorsement, sleepyboy! I'm always happy to lend a helping hand when I can.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
zjenfly
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110891
What I Drive: 2013 silver focus titanium hatchbac

FF Reputation: 1 zjenfly Good Standing Member
I also live in So.Cal. I am experiencing the same issues you have plus a scrape, grind noise front driver side. My 2013 silver focus titanium has 800 miles & is currently in svc for 3rd time. It shudders,lunges, & jumps ON ITS OWN! It has a huge problem in reverse, clunkes and grinds & have to gas it alot. The transmission also has a burning smell. Not safe at all! Also MPG ranges 12-16!!! I have receipts and have spent over $350 in gas. Dealership tells me to keep driving it for "break in period" but I don't believe they have a clue on how to fix these issues. Plus they say that I don't know how to drive the car. BS! Please respond back to me & give update & advice you've received on your titanium. Also if you visit youtube Focus Trans problems quite alot of people are facing the same complications and denial from Ford that there is a problem. Also, have you been approached to trade in car & eat about 5k?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Points 535, Level 10
Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorZ View Post
Here's a video I made of my car for another thread. You can see how great it shifts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxmLC_4Fg1k
That's not normal according to the dealerships I've been to.

It is supposed to have shift flare and gaps in power delivery between gears.

Better get that looked at. LOL
Old 03-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Don't let the dealer tell you lemon law doesn't apply, make them document the issues even if they say it is normal, get cell phone video of the issue, gather all the info you can, then get a lemon law attorney and file.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
zjenfly
Focus Rookie

Coputeryoda2600,
I also live in So.Cal. & have a 2013 silver focus titanium. It has 800 miles & in Svc for 3rd time. The 1st time in Svc mile 204 they said they upgrade the computer software, no help at all. The transmission shudders, lunges & jumps! In reverse make horrific noises & needs alot of gas to get it to move. New concern, front driver side, there is a squeal/scrape noise. I have been handed a 2pg paper from Ford on how this trans is different but these unsafe conditions I am expierencing do not apply. They said that if they don't feel there is a problem there is nothing I can do. How is this possible?! I am getting 12-16 MPG & have spent over $350 in gas. The dealership wants me to drive 2000 miles for break-in period but this is ludacris! This car is UNSAFE & I can not drive it like this. They have said I have options to trade out of lease but are charging me approx $6000 in depreciation for a car that is a LEMON. This is Ford's money to swallow, not mine! Please let me know the status and any new info you have. HELP!!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #18
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

Points 653, Level 13
Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjenfly View Post
Coputeryoda2600,
I also live in So.Cal. & have a 2013 silver focus titanium. It has 800 miles & in Svc for 3rd time. The 1st time in Svc mile 204 they said they upgrade the computer software, no help at all. The transmission shudders, lunges & jumps! In reverse make horrific noises & needs alot of gas to get it to move. New concern, front driver side, there is a squeal/scrape noise. I have been handed a 2pg paper from Ford on how this trans is different but these unsafe conditions I am expierencing do not apply. They said that if they don't feel there is a problem there is nothing I can do. How is this possible?! I am getting 12-16 MPG & have spent over $350 in gas. The dealership wants me to drive 2000 miles for break-in period but this is ludacris! This car is UNSAFE & I can not drive it like this. They have said I have options to trade out of lease but are charging me approx $6000 in depreciation for a car that is a LEMON. This is Ford's money to swallow, not mine! Please let me know the status and any new info you have. HELP!!
Wow, 12-15 MPG. I can't relate as I have always averaged 28 or better over a tankful even when new, I usually get 34-36 MPG now. It sounds like the trans' clutches are totally f&cked with that kind of driving behavior and dreadful fuel economy. I would try running a few tankfuls of premium gas through it, it should run a bit better that way until you find a dealer to actually fix the DCT.

As far as there being nothing for you to do, there is. You can try a different dealer. This one you are using now has its collective head up its bunghole. You can try the assistance offered here by Ford but don't get your hopes set too high on that. You can also pursue the Lemon law remedies if you have those in your state. Document everything when dealing with the car's service history.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #19
zjenfly
Focus Rookie

I have put in premium gas, since day 1, and I have taken it to another dealership and that svc center told me to take it back to original dealer!!! Of corse I am keeping all svc records.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #20
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

Points 986, Level 16
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Ford should have 'woke up' and move this transmission building to Germany, where it would be built properly, instead of in Mexico, where obviously they cannot build it to proper specs.
Seems the factory must be getting lazy again and allowing shoddy construction to destroy this great car and transmission.
100% of the problems are wrong tolerances in the critical clutch assy.
Whomever is responsible should be sack AND hanged.
Ford has fallen on it's own sword allowing this sort of failure to continue.
The reality is, it is not the country by default. Unless the country lacks regulations, strong work ethic, or any ethics for that matter...

Ford shouldn't fall on its sword. That solves nothing. Ask Ken Lay about that... But Ford should work with customers in good faith, or offer full refunds - maybe with interest added to those who took out loans, since they thought they were buying a good car and in good faith.

On the plus side, no sitcom or cartoon can say that American workers and standards are lax anymore... But most of us knew it's not about the nationality by default in the first place... (oh, it can be about country, based - once again - on regulations, integrity, and other issues, but the proof spanning MULTIPLE companies and multiple conditions must be proven. Right now, it's just the second-rate plant in Mexico.)

P.S. If it is about country rather than individual situations, don't buy Hershey's chocolate, amongst other brands, since they vamoosed out of the US to set up shop in Mexico.

P.P.S. Some companies, factories, management, and/or workers will cut corners to "look better" and get a bigger bonus. Maybe that's why the 2012/2013 Focus transmission is such a purported POS... cut the corners and "earn" that extra money... Greed - that's what truly destroys.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.