One Year Later - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #71
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It seems I'll need to do my own oil changes, clutch changes, headliner replacements AND alignments from now on?

Perhaps it is unfair to expect one person to be an expert in replacing so many different components across a range of vastly different cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #72
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Welp I don't want to get ahead of myself but so far the steering seems MUCH MUCH BETTER with this new alignment. I will know in a few days worth of driving if it is actually improved, so I will wait a bit before coming to a final conclusion.

I also had the tech check the tires for uneven wear and he said everything appears normal. He also checked for "sticking" calipers but said they too appear to be operating normally.

BUT,

of course the steering wheel is a bit crooked...Even though during the test drive with the tech I had told him I thought the steering wheel was crooked, he reassured me "its the crowning of the road" so I didn't push the issue. But now after driving it home the wheel is definitely crooked, ugh.

I just can't win.

Now the real question is WHAT THE %$%#$ IS MAKING MY CAR CONTINUALLY BE OUT OF ALIGNMENT? are the dealerships just messing up the alignment? are the alignment machines calibrated incorrectly? Does it have to do with the steering rack in any way being installed incorrectly or being defective? Are the bumps and potholes I hit occasionally so severe it is messing up my alignment? Is this car just a POS?

Thoughts?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #73
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
The car is not a POS. I'm voting for inept dealership alignment techs.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #74
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

So I thought I could live with the crooked steering wheel until my next oil change in 2-3 months.

Well I can't.

Back to the dealer saturday morning, just what I want to be doing. I'm pissed.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #75
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
sounds to me like when the rack was installed they didn't properly align the splines when they re-connected the steering arm to the rack....if that were the case, you would be stuck choosing between a straight steering wheel but an alignment that de-centeres the tie-rods in the rack(more pressure pulling to one side, causing your erratic steering issues) OR crooked steering wheel with proper alignment. they might have to drop your rack back down and turn the arm a couple splines and re-attach, then re-align again.....
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #76
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtinfocus View Post
sounds to me like when the rack was installed they didn't properly align the splines when they re-connected the steering arm to the rack....if that were the case, you would be stuck choosing between a straight steering wheel but an alignment that de-centeres the tie-rods in the rack(more pressure pulling to one side, causing your erratic steering issues) OR crooked steering wheel with proper alignment. they might have to drop your rack back down and turn the arm a couple splines and re-attach, then re-align again.....
I hope this is not the case. I will find out on saturday...
Old 02-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #77
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

I'm sitting in the waiting room once again waiting for my car to be fixed for the crooked wheel.

Who wants to bet that they fix the steering wheel but mess up the alignment, or that they will make the steering wheel crooked left instead of right like how it is now?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #78
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Ok after a 3 hour wait my car was done. longer than when I was there on wednesday and actually got a full alignment) Seems like everything is ok now, the steering angle was off obviously. Have to drive it around more now to see how the alignment is.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #79
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
hopefully you're fixed up now...
Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #80
mattr6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94030
What I Drive: 13 ST

FF Reputation: 1 mattr6 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtinfocus View Post
hopefully you're fixed up now...
Yes it would be nice to know if there was closure on this issue.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->