How-To flush ATX fluid and change filter - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #81
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Absolutely and totally, they generally don't change it until errors show and then too late. Quite funny actually. Then they have to come up with a really stupid theory for why the breakage since, heavens to mercy, they cannot possibly blame their own actions. Even funnier..........some of the ideas I heard while at the auto store were beyond belief and worse than that. It must really hurt to have to think and have it make some sense.

The ONLY way I could ever see new fluid hurting a trans would be if someone overfilled it, the new fluid then cavitates clutch packs since air whipped into it and then old clutch piston seal blows out from the repeat hits of air/fluid since air compresses. But once again, that is a cockpit problem and not the fluid. Or maybe someone FORCIBLY flushing to stir up settled trash, again, not a fluid problem in and of itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #82
Jason1906709
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110909
What I Drive: 2000 Forest green ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jason1906709 Good Standing Member
well this will be my first post here... i have just bought a 00 ZX3 everything seems well but oil light flashes sometimes? i check fluid and seems normal maybe im getting something from the filter of loss of pressure? also this is a great guide 120k on motor and tranny and deff replacing tranny fluid a little slip going into 3rd (auto = hate it but have to deal with it) would you say any other products to put in like LUCUS? or just all tranny fluid?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #83
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
Others will tell you different and some of the stories will be incredible, but I do not and have not ever put additives in a car for anything other than when I was young and dumb. 45+ years now and never the need. In my view if additives do anything it is short lived. I do what it takes to fix my troubles by working on parts or changing them out. I could see using one or two different products but always found a way around issues to not do so. Most of them are gimmicks to take your money, I watched hundreds of people use them to no effect except lighter wallets when I worked in auto parts. FAR more disappointment than happy faces there...............and most of the people who seemed happy were the ones who seemed very good at fooling themselves. At least the disappointed ones were honest with themselves. Adding one bottle of injector cleaner and then fervently claiming an increase of 10 miles a gallon, that sort of thing. The human mind is more frail than an automobile engine or transmission...............

Jason, it's not rocket science, change the filter if that your belief. However, don't be surprised if it does nothing. No Lucas in trans either, if it slips with known good fluid the trans is worn, all there is to it. If it slips going into 3rd only when cold then it may go a long while further yet.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #84
Jason1906709
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110909
What I Drive: 2000 Forest green ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jason1906709 Good Standing Member
ok wonderful thank you for the fast reply im going to change this over the weekend and i will post back with the results thanks again!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #85
2008ses
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110522
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 2008ses Good Standing Member
Anyone know anything about the 2008 Duratec Automatic Transmission?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #86
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Its the same AT as the 01 to '11, but in 03 it was beefed up for the more torquey Duratec engines, and earlier Zetec bolt patterns will not fit Duratec bolt patterns. The internals of the transmission cases are the same, but the case might be different. As long as you get a Duratec transmission- so 05+ are 100% Dtec- you should be ok.

If you are having issues that you feel might need to be addressed, then please start your own new thread describing your problem, and giving the pertinent information- like mileage, previous maintenance, etc.

Don't continue to ask questions in an old thread like this one. Most of our users will not answer old threads. The time stamp of all threads/posts is in the upper left hand corner of each post above the avatar.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #87
RallieConGoggle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50774
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ZX4

FF Reputation: 9 RallieConGoggle Good Standing Member
Anyone know the I.D. (Inner Diameter) of those extension tubes that he used?
Zetec Crew #190
Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #88
BillLamm
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118930
What I Drive: 2005 Focus ZXW SE

FF Reputation: 1 BillLamm Good Standing Member
The thread lives... this was very helpful to me this past weekend

I found that disconnecting the hose at the transmission worked better then at the radiator.. the fluid comes out of the radiator..

Thanks for all the info
Old 09-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #89
mwalsh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56630
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZTS | 2005 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 mwalsh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Its the same AT as the 01 to '11, but in 03 it was beefed up for the more torquey Duratec engines, and earlier Zetec bolt patterns will not fit Duratec bolt patterns. The internals of the transmission cases are the same
Gear ratios are different for the '03-'04 2.3L engined cars. So one has to be careful when looking for a replacement - they are often advertised as coming from "PZEV VIN Z" cars.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #90
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing MemberCJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I've been meaning to do this.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules

Bookmarks & Social Networks