Focus Won't Start - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #31
FocusRus
Focus Enthusiast
 
FocusRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Fan#: 109798
Location: Waggaman, LA
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

Posts: 541
FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red01Focus View Post
ok listen i asked and several people gave me different idea's, i took everyone's ideas and tried most of them out, i never said anybody was wrong in what they told me heck i figure the more ideas i get the better options i have to go with. it's the way people answer however it's water under the bridge and thanks for the ideas i will take the battery back and follow your methods above when i return it milton and post the results
Ooooookkkkk......I'm goin back to bed........
FocusRus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #32
Red01Focus
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Fan#: 40437
Location: Lancaster, PA, PA
What I Drive: 2001 Infa Red SE

Posts: 2,360
FF Reputation: 10 Red01Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (56)
Bobby you didn't do anything wrong lol. I took the battery to advance but the tester was being used, i told them what you guys posted here and they took the battery back to be charged so i will be picking it up by 4pm(said it only takes 4hrs to charge) also whats the best cleaner or method to clean up the connectors and wires? i figured i can clean everything now while i wait on the battery
__________________
SEDAN REVOLUTION #13
Red01Focus is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #33
Red01Focus
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Fan#: 40437
Location: Lancaster, PA, PA
What I Drive: 2001 Infa Red SE

Posts: 2,360
FF Reputation: 10 Red01Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (56)
ok did the baking soda/water trick scrubbed it all down cables look better,went to get the battery had it tested and printout showed the battery was good,installed it and yep nothing..i think the clicking is the door chime that doesn't have enough power to actually sound. so replace cables?
__________________
SEDAN REVOLUTION #13
Red01Focus is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #34
FocusRus
Focus Enthusiast
 
FocusRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Fan#: 109798
Location: Waggaman, LA
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

Posts: 541
FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Look, no one is trying to bust your b---s, just trying to point to a logical procedure that will help you arrive at a solution. So far when we told you to the battery, you said the battery was good, then we said to check the cables you said the cables were good. You remain convinced the starter is bad and the only thing jumping the car proved was that the starter is good. What you want to do is prove that you have a good power source connected to a good power distribution system. So do the following:
1) Remove you battery
2) Take it to the local AutoZone / auto parts store and have it tested, including load testing.
3) If it proves good then ask them to fully charge it.
4) If it proves bad have it replaced.
5) Have the replacement tested including load testing.
6) If it proved good ask them to fully charge it.
7) if it proves bad go to step 4.

OK, now you have a proven good power source. Now let's make sure you have a good power distribution system.

1) Take the battery to your car but do not install it.
2) Examine the negative battery cable connector. Is there any signs of corrosion on the connector or the wire entering the insulation? Clean and/or replace cable as required. Connector should be bright, shiny and clean.
3) Trace the other end of the negative battery cable to it's attachment point. Disconnect it and examine the cable connector. Is there any signs of corrosion on the connector or the wire entering the insulation? Clean and/or replace cable as required. Connector should be bright, shiny and clean. Reattach that cable end.
4) Repeat step 3 for all other wires that attach the the negative battery cable connector.
5) Examine the positive battery cable connector. Is there any signs of corrosion on the connector or the wire entering the insulation? Clean and/or replace cable as required. Connector should be bright, shiny and clean.
6) Trace the other end of the positive battery cable to it's attachment point. Disconnect it and examine the cable connector. Is there any signs of corrosion on the connector or the wire entering the insulation? Clean and/or replace cable as required. Connector should be bright, shiny and clean. Reattach that cable end.
7) Repeat step 6 for all other wires that attach the the positive battery cable connector.

At this point point you have taken steps to prove you have a good power source and a good power distribution system. So now install the battery. Try and start the car. If the car runs, enjoy it. If it does not then proceed from there taking logical steps according to the symptoms.Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusRus View Post
Ooooookkkkk......I'm goin back to bed........
I wasn't refering to you......does it crank and run now?
FocusRus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #35
Milton
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 89715
Location: San Antonio, TX
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

Posts: 341
FF Reputation: 4 Milton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2001 Ford Focus Starting Diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red01Focus View Post
... 2001 Automatic Zetec Sedan...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red01Focus View Post
ok did the baking soda/water trick scrubbed it all down cables look better,went to get the battery had it tested and printout showed the battery was good,installed it and yep nothing..i think the clicking is the door chime that doesn't have enough power to actually sound. so replace cables?
Well that's a bummer. You'll have to find where the issue is. Here a a link to you 2001 Ford Focus Starting Diagram:
2001 Ford Focus Starting Diagrams

Print out the diagram for your 2001 Zetec ATX, grab your volt meter and start checking. Start at the battery and work your way out from there. Personally I would start by checking to see if you're getting 12v to your starter. If you are not then next check the fuses. If they are good then start at the battery and then work your way out from there.

Good luck.
Milton is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #36
bringler26
FUBARCUS
 
bringler26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Fan#: 59705
Location: Mentor, OH
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

Posts: 5,616
FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Check your grounds ---- this on the odo is an indicator of a grounding issue with the computer. I've seen it posted before.
__________________
2003 Ford Focus ZX3("FUBARCUS" was "Brokus") - old and still busted
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i - current DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
bringler26 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #37
Red01Focus
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Fan#: 40437
Location: Lancaster, PA, PA
What I Drive: 2001 Infa Red SE

Posts: 2,360
FF Reputation: 10 Red01Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (56)
ok gonna use that diagram hopefully i find the problem soon,thanks again everyone
__________________
SEDAN REVOLUTION #13
Red01Focus is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #38
Milton
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 89715
Location: San Antonio, TX
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

Posts: 341
FF Reputation: 4 Milton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringler26 View Post
Check your grounds ---- this on the odo is an indicator of a grounding issue with the computer. I've seen it posted before.
He says he already checked his grounds.
Milton is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #39
bringler26
FUBARCUS
 
bringler26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Fan#: 59705
Location: Mentor, OH
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

Posts: 5,616
FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
He should make sure his grounds are making good contact by cleaning them. Where they connect to the body I would suggest going as far as scraping the paint in the little area underneath.
__________________
2003 Ford Focus ZX3("FUBARCUS" was "Brokus") - old and still busted
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i - current DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
bringler26 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #40
Milton
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 89715
Location: San Antonio, TX
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

Posts: 341
FF Reputation: 4 Milton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringler26 View Post
He should make sure his grounds are making good contact by cleaning them. Where they connect to the body I would suggest going as far as scraping the paint in the little area underneath.
He was given detailed instructions on doing just that, see below. He says he did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Look, no one is trying to bust your b---s, just trying to point to a logical procedure that will help you arrive at a solution. So far when we told you to the battery, you said the battery was good, then we said to check the cables you said the cables were good. You remain convinced the starter is bad and the only thing jumping the car proved was that the starter is good. What you want to do is prove that you have a good power source connected to a good power distribution system. So do the following:
1) Remove you battery
2) Take it to the local AutoZone / auto parts store and have it tested, including load testing.
3) If it proves good then ask them to fully charge it.
4) If it proves bad have it replaced.
5) Have the replacement tested including load testing.
6) If it proved good ask them to fully charge it.
7) if it proves bad go to step 4.

OK, now you have a proven good power source. Now let's make sure you have a good power distribution system.

1) Take the battery to your car but do not install it.
2) Examine the negative battery cable connector. Is there any signs of corrosion on the connector or the wire entering the insulation? Clean and/or replace cable as required. Connector should be bright, shiny and clean.
3) Trace the other end of the negative battery cable to it's attachment point. Disconnect it and examine the cable connector. Is there any signs of corrosion on the connector or the wire entering the insulation? Clean and/or replace cable as required. Connector should be bright, shiny and clean. Reattach that cable end.
4) Repeat step 3 for all other wires that attach the the negative battery cable connector.
5) Examine the positive battery cable connector. Is there any signs of corrosion on the connector or the wire entering the insulation? Clean and/or replace cable as required. Connector should be bright, shiny and clean.
6) Trace the other end of the positive battery cable to it's attachment point. Disconnect it and examine the cable connector. Is there any signs of corrosion on the connector or the wire entering the insulation? Clean and/or replace cable as required. Connector should be bright, shiny and clean. Reattach that cable end.
7) Repeat step 6 for all other wires that attach the the positive battery cable connector.

At this point point you have taken steps to prove you have a good power source and a good power distribution system. So now install the battery. Try and start the car. If the car runs, enjoy it. If it does not then proceed from there taking logical steps according to the symptoms.Good luck.
Milton is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.