Focus Won't Start - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #21
Red01Focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 40437
What I Drive: 2001 Infa Red SE

Points 10,954, Level 69
Points: 10,954, Level: 69 Points: 10,954, Level: 69 Points: 10,954, Level: 69
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 10 Red01Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (56)
when did this become that other focus site? no need to get angry just asked a question, wil take everything into consideration and let everyone know thanks
SEDAN REVOLUTION #13
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #22
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,608, Level 78
Points: 14,608, Level: 78 Points: 14,608, Level: 78 Points: 14,608, Level: 78
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red01Focus View Post
battery is brand new just bought it the other night
Doesn't matter. some of those batteries sit for awhile and will loose charge over time. pull it and have it charged.
if everything dims or loses power and you hear nothing but a clicking, the battery is week or has a bad cell plain and simple.
No amount of screwing with the starter, fuses, nor anything else is going to fix a weak battery.
Dont trust the "I just bought the battery" thought unless they put it on the charger and checked it BEFORE you took it.

If it were a bad starter it would either turn over very slowly or it would do nothing at all. but if you're insistant its the starter, pull it and have it checked, alot easier to pull a battery than a starter and have it checked tho...
Old 03-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
Red01Focus
Focus Fanatic

Points 10,954, Level 69
Level Up 26% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
ok so jumped it and noticed the fuel was almost at e and check engine light was on, got gas filled it up and jumped it again and check engine light was gone but the revs were bouncing even dropped down to nothing and miles and gas miles went to ------ then they went to normal the car was still on the jumper cables.

took the cables off and gave it a bit of gas and it stayed running let off and it was fine but the revs are moving along with the gas needle and coolant, noticed the speakers were also making a popping sound when the revs would drop. i might be able to make a video if that would help
SEDAN REVOLUTION #13
Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #24
Red01Focus
Focus Fanatic

Points 10,954, Level 69
Level Up 26% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Im going to take the battery in to have it checked tomorrow, if battery checks out i'll pull the starter next and go from there. again thank you all for the advice i really appreciate it,rep points coming your way
SEDAN REVOLUTION #13
Old 03-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

Points 280, Level 5
Points: 280, Level: 5 Points: 280, Level: 5 Points: 280, Level: 5
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 Milton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red01Focus View Post
took the cables off and gave it a bit of gas and it stayed running let off and it was fine but the revs are moving along with the gas needle and coolant, noticed the speakers were also making a popping sound when the revs would drop. i might be able to make a video if that would help
So you jumped it, it started and you and you think it may be the starter ?
Old 03-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #26
Red01Focus
Focus Fanatic

Points 10,954, Level 69
Level Up 26% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Im just going in the order of what people said battery is the easiest to remove and check,the next thing to be pointed out was the starter,nobody really mentioned the alternator so that's last to be pulled, and of course the cables
SEDAN REVOLUTION #13
Old 03-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #27
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,608, Level 78
Points: 14,608, Level: 78 Points: 14,608, Level: 78 Points: 14,608, Level: 78
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
if it started theres no problem with the starter or cables. and if the cables were removed and it stayed running, the alternator is fine, which leads back to the battery which you had to jump in the first place.
its been sitting that long my suspicion would be the rough idle is just some bad fuel that was left in the system that needs to get burned out, being returnless it may take a little bit for fresh stuff to get there. a new fuel filter wouldnt hurt either.
as far as the popping in the speakers, its usually from a bad ground from the engine to body. check your ground points and clean them.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #28
shjeeper
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 66435
What I Drive: 2002 Charcoal Ford Focus SE 2.0 SPI

Points 318, Level 6
Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 shjeeper Good Standing Member
I'm with those that say the battery is the issue. I'd set it on a charger overnight and it'll probably be fine in the morning. Just taking it to the shop to test it won't be enough, you need to fully charge it. :D Same with the fuel - drive it around for a bit and get some fresh gas in there.

As for the speakers, no idea.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #29
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

Points 280, Level 5
Points: 280, Level: 5 Points: 280, Level: 5 Points: 280, Level: 5
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 8 Milton Good Standing Member
Next steps to take

Look, no one is trying to bust your b---s, just trying to point to a logical procedure that will help you arrive at a solution. So far when we told you to the battery, you said the battery was good, then we said to check the cables you said the cables were good. You remain convinced the starter is bad and the only thing jumping the car proved was that the starter is good. What you want to do is prove that you have a good power source connected to a good power distribution system. So do the following:
1) Remove you battery
2) Take it to the local AutoZone / auto parts store and have it tested, including load testing.
3) If it proves good then ask them to fully charge it.
4) If it proves bad have it replaced.
5) Have the replacement tested including load testing.
6) If it proved good ask them to fully charge it.
7) if it proves bad go to step 4.

OK, now you have a proven good power source. Now let's make sure you have a good power distribution system.

1) Take the battery to your car but do not install it.
2) Examine the negative battery cable connector. Is there any signs of corrosion on the connector or the wire entering the insulation? Clean and/or replace cable as required. Connector should be bright, shiny and clean.
3) Trace the other end of the negative battery cable to it's attachment point. Disconnect it and examine the cable connector. Is there any signs of corrosion on the connector or the wire entering the insulation? Clean and/or replace cable as required. Connector should be bright, shiny and clean. Reattach that cable end.
4) Repeat step 3 for all other wires that attach the the negative battery cable connector.
5) Examine the positive battery cable connector. Is there any signs of corrosion on the connector or the wire entering the insulation? Clean and/or replace cable as required. Connector should be bright, shiny and clean.
6) Trace the other end of the positive battery cable to it's attachment point. Disconnect it and examine the cable connector. Is there any signs of corrosion on the connector or the wire entering the insulation? Clean and/or replace cable as required. Connector should be bright, shiny and clean. Reattach that cable end.
7) Repeat step 6 for all other wires that attach the the positive battery cable connector.

At this point point you have taken steps to prove you have a good power source and a good power distribution system. So now install the battery. Try and start the car. If the car runs, enjoy it. If it does not then proceed from there taking logical steps according to the symptoms.Good luck.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #30
Red01Focus
Focus Fanatic

Points 10,954, Level 69
Level Up 26% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
ok listen i asked and several people gave me different idea's, i took everyone's ideas and tried most of them out, i never said anybody was wrong in what they told me heck i figure the more ideas i get the better options i have to go with. it's the way people answer however it's water under the bridge and thanks for the ideas i will take the battery back and follow your methods above when i return it milton and post the results
SEDAN REVOLUTION #13

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.