Elm327 driver for windows 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
simonfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107906
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 simonfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Elm327 driver for windows 7

This might not be the right forum for this computer question but as it is related to car diagnostic I thought it might be the right place and the right forum section to ask for help as others might have struggled to find a solution. I have searched the forum but couldn't find any topics related to this.

I have purchased an Elm327 cable from ebay and along with it came some usb drivers, I have added these two to my Windows 7 but I can't get a connection to the laptop. I have searched Google and found some other drivers that was mentioned they will help but so far no luck.
I use EasyobdII software to check whether Windows can detect the cable. I have even tried to connect the cable to my Focus obdII port and I can't see any connections.

My question to you is how can I make sure that Windows can detect this cable?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Actually the correct area to put it wold have been here. I'm sorry not hugely computer literate I hope Mix is online he is the computer tech around here.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=59
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
^^ No that is not the correct place to put it. That's for Gaming. We do have a section called "ECU Tuning Chat" which might give you people who speak the same language. Ford Focus General Technical Chat is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
If you go into device manager then to ports you will be able to see if something gets plugged in to a USB port and what port # its in

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
simonfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

When i plug the cable i can see in device manager that profilic is the driver for this cable but it also shows an error. I have even updated the driver with the latest version but it hasn't helped.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Post a link to this ebay cable.

Odds are if you 'uninstal' a USB driver, then plug the USB in, Windows will automatically find the correct driver and install it. (I'm thinking you know all this already)

It's a good bet the reason you can't do anything are the setting in the program. You probably have to set up the 'baud rate' and/or cable/interface type. Something in the options screen?

I looked at the free version. Didn't find anything I can advise you change.

Just caught that you're in England. I wouldn't doubt is US scan tools won't work for you. Not sure but I'd see what others in your country are using on the cheap.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #7
simonfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The cable I bought is not an original one there are many sellers, and I contacted the seller who is also from UK and he says he is not a technician and can't advise on how to set it up, he is just a seller that loves to sell! In the software package he sent along with the cable there were some usb driver files but it is not helping at all.

I have searched google and found several types of drivers for this cable but none of them seems to be working. According to their instructions, after the cable is inserted into the laptop in Windows device manager it should be able to see what driver is installed and if it is working. In all the cases I have worked with, device manager shows an error icon for that particular driver.

And yes I did change the baud to a different value but this didn't help either. Windows does find a driver to it but suddenly during the installation it ends and gives a message that it can't proceed, it installs this Prologic driver.

The installation of drivers seems to be a straightforward job, but I guess there are more technical stuff involved in it than I am aware of.

This is the method I have used to test the cable: http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...&kbarticleid=1

So far I have used freeware softwares just to see if I can see some results, and one of them is Scantool which is from US.

Bookmarks & Social Networks