Blower motor quit- BUT... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
02SVTAZ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90533
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT, 2nd owner, #238

FF Reputation: 1 02SVTAZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Blower motor quit- BUT...

Worked fine since I've had the car- no intermittent issues or anything. The other day I switched on blower for heat, and nothing happened. A/C light will come on, blower doesn't work on ANY setting, and at idle I noticed that engine RPM drops slightly when the blower switch is turned on. I checked the fuse (with RPM drop, I figured blower was pulling amps so didn't suspect fuse, but checked it anyway), and fuse is fine.

I've read other posts on here about resistor going bad, so before I tear the glovebox out I'm hopeful someone will have some insight here. I've also read that motor going bad can take resistor out, so I'm hoping my description might get me some feedback from someone who understands this stuff better than I. My suspicion based on my observations here is that the motor has seized, as opposed to the resistor which, I would think if failed would not even send power to the motor?

Resistor?
Motor?

Is the problem I described common at all? Just curious.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Sounds like time to check the motor, it's not too tragic a job to drop it out of the dash - access from behind the glove box & from underneath.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Bad cabin fan resistor = fan runs on speed 4 only
No fan on any speed= bad fan motor or fan switch

In your case, I believe it's the fan motor because you noticed your rpms dropping which might be that you're running in AC mode. Check to see if your vents are set to DEF/FLR, or DEF as both of those will turn on the AC.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
02SVTAZ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Well, for the purposes of further documentation in case anyone finds this thread when searching, the saga continues. I've replaced both the resistor and the switch with new FoMoCo parts, and still nothing. I DID drop the fan out, and initially, it wouldn't turn, but then freed up and turns fine. I put 12v to it while removed from the car (battery charger), and it runs fine- no noises or anything. At that point, I had a new resistor in hand, and since there are no returns on electrical parts, I elected to go ahead and install it.

So, in summary, this is where I'm at-
Fan motor works (apparently) with 12v applied.
Resistor- NEW
Switch- NEW
Fuse- checked multiple times- good
Fan- still no workie. :(
Old 03-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
The fan motor running off 12vdc needs good brushes to run consistently, if the bearings aren't a problem - no noise, correct? Check your brush lengths to be sure they aren't worn to their minimum length.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
02SVTAZ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

UGH! This will likely be my last post on this site- mainly out of sheer embarassment. After pulling the motor AGAIN, and testing it AGAIN, and running through the list of options AGAIN, I pulled out the owner's manual and started reading SLOWWWWLLLLYYY the section on fuses, and realized that the 7.5A "recirculation air, air blower" (or something like that) fuse under the driver's side dash (#45) is NOT the main fuse for the blower motor as I had assumed. Under the hood, fuse number 64 is 40 amps, and was indeed blown. My theory is that the motor WAS jammed up, so I had to take it out to discover that. The motor faces up into the squirrel cage, and is exposed, so any debris can fall into it and potentially short it out or jam it up (which is what apparently happened in my case). When I was noticing the idle RPM drop when selecting the fan on, the fuse hadn't blown YET. I pulled it apart on the assumption that the fuse was still good, but apparently it had blown right when I shut it off.

So, I blew $70 chasing a blown fuse (and a jammed up motor). <sigh>

Just once, I'd like to come across a lesson I've ALREADY learned once before. :)
Old 03-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Don't run away from embarassment, after having the courage to post your results to help others who may have a similar experience!

Thanks for the update, too many threads leave folks hanging as to the final resolution when they are searching for answers....

Cheers!

Bookmarks & Social Networks