egg smell - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
smurfsack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110575
What I Drive: 2003, beige,se 2.0 split port

FF Reputation: 1 smurfsack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
by your replies i have determined i do not have a cat problem. thanx guys
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 01:36 AM   #12
Nag207
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117617
Points 49, Level 1
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Nag207 Good Standing Member
I get the same smell lack of power gas does not last long

in the air system even when I put it to cold feels hot in the inside of the car

the exhaust when exhilarate sounds like a loud exhaust not so loud but you can hear it

rotten egg smell coming out of the ventilation system and I also have

The code diagnostic code 420

But now I have a problem I took it to the mechanic and he's had my car for two weeks he can't seem to find the integrated exhaust with catalytic converter

One thing I haven't done is checking for tunup should I go to the mechanic and tell them to put the cat back or to check the cat and the manifold for holes and tell him to check the tuneup?
Old 09-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,088, Level 34
Points: 3,088, Level: 34 Points: 3,088, Level: 34 Points: 3,088, Level: 34
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 58%
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Rotten egg smell is NOT a sign of cat bad but about to be real quick. The smell comes from overloaded fuel in cat and a sign it is working triple time trying to reduce all that to clean air. In short another problem usually rich. Once the cat melts or dies truly the smell will go away but so will your power.

If you smell it you are killing the cat right then.

Nag207 if your mech cannot find the 'integrated exhaust with catalytic converter' then you need a new mech. Need to look at your flex pipe as well.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #14
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

Points 233, Level 4
Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 tmittelstaedt Good Standing Member
You will get a better response rate opening a new thread rather than posting to one a year old.

A mechanic that holds on to a car for 2 weeks and does nothing to it that is billable is a terrible businessman. He's wasting space in his shop with your parked car that could be used to make money. It's clear to me that he's never worked on a Focus since the cat is among the most obvious things in it just open the hood and look down! He probably knows he will need to spend several hours on Alldata reviewing the service manual before touching your car and he's putting it off until "things are slow"

Run away! And a piece of advice on using mechanics - a competent one that charges $100 an hour and is competent enough to spend 2 hours to fix the problem is a LOT better deal than an incompetent bumbler that charges $50 an hour and takes 8 hours to fix it and then only does it with a half a roll of duct tape!!! (and a better deal than a mechanic that charges $50 an hour and spends 5 hours using your car as a "learner" vehicle even if he is otherwise a decent guy)
Old 09-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #15
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,088, Level 34
Level Up 26% Completed
Forum Activity 58%
Oh boy you so got that right...............but hard to find men like that any more, they are buried deep in all the losers who are firmly convinced they fit in that group as well. I'm convinced the really good ones are a dying breed. The really good ones at dealer level have all been scared off by the pay structures used now. They would be the best being they mess with the cars everyday and get to know all their idiosyncrasies.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:36 AM   #16
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

Points 233, Level 4
Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 tmittelstaedt Good Standing Member
Blame the depression of 2008-2012 for this. New car sales dropped by millions and millions and millions of vehicles then. As a result, fast forward today when those new cars (that were never sold) would have been sold today as used cars. And they ARE being sold - but since there's now a huge shortage of them, prices are ridiculous on used vehicles. Heck, they are selling year 2000 Focuses for $3000 here which are fitted with the grenade-ing SOHC engine and close to 200,000 miles on them.

I've looked for the last couple years for a good and cheap 2000-2004 manual transmission Zetec Focus (I own 2 of them already) for my son and you cannot find anything for under $4K. With steel prices what they are, and the u-pull it places paying what they are now, anything that gets in so much as a fender bender is almost immediately scrapped.

As a result the people who cannot afford a new car are being forced into paying more than they really have for cars that a decade ago would have sold for $600. So, they go into debt on credit cards and such at ruinous interest rates, or to used car dealers at ruinous interest rates. They can't afford to pay decent money for a good mechanic to repair their sleds. So all they care about is cheap mechanics that do patchup jobs to get them back out the door for the next month until their sled breaks down again.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #17
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,088, Level 34
Level Up 26% Completed
Forum Activity 58%
I will so buy that as well, I noticed the ridiculous bump up in used car prices too. My son and I looked around for used Foci and they wanted more for them than a new Nissan so he went new instead of used. The dealerships were utter asses about dickering down even one penny on the cars.

That guy Jacques whatever-his-name (Nasser?), the ex CEO of Ford who ran the company into the ground in the late '90s began to feed off the mechs when sales dropped, the mechs who were top of the line made really good money, some pulling in $75K+. The service CDs started cutting the amounts paid and before you know it Ford ran off thousands of their best A grade mechs to go to Cadillac and other places paying far more. Those making those big bucks dropped down to like $35-40K and just said screw the company, leaving in droves. I don't think to this day they have fully recovered from that.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.