Questions about performance, and general questions - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
slinkmerc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109901
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 slinkmerc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Questions about performance, and general questions

Hi, i'm somewhat new to the forum and new Ford cars. I was an asian car buff 'till I got sick of having them in my garage doing repair after repair.
I was thinking of doing a header swap on 02 zx3. I was wondering if the header from the svt would be a good choice, and if it is a simple bolt on? I've read a couple things about the egr tube and oil dipstick but no one has mentioned if it just bolts on or what they had to do to bolt it on.

Also is it a good idea to stick to motorcraft parts for spark plugs and oil/fuel filters,air filters, stuff like that or a set of ngk plugs with bosch wires are ok(for example)?

Thank you in advance for your responces

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (44)
The SVT header is probably the most common header swap on the regular Zetec Focus. The parts required for the swap are, SVT header, SVT flex pipe, SVT dipstick and a high flow cat or off road pipe or SVT catalytic converter. As for emissions controls like the EGR you will need to have a bung welded into the SVT header. I would say just remove the EGR and have a tune or mil eliminator installed to keep the CEL from coming on, but you live in California so I wouldn't remove any of the emissions controls.

As for plugs and wires, I have always stuck with Motorcraft coppers and a good set of wires. Bosch wires are good enough. Oil, I have always used Motorcraft synthetic 5w20 oil. Everytime I get it, it's in the 5 quart jugs. As for oil filters I generally only use Mobil1 or Motorcraft branded oil filters. Fuel filters I have used either Motorcraft or ACDelco only. But I am sure other brands are just as safe to use. Basically what I am saying is that it's not necessary to spend extra on the normal stuff you need for your car. I have nothing against NGK plugs, but I have always used what is just recommended for my car nad never had any problems.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
slinkmerc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Will the heat shield fit over the svt header or no? Also is the svt header just bolt on or is there something that needs to be done? Also where is a good site to get all the necessary parts?

As far as the svt cat why is that needed? does the zx3 cat not bolt on to the svt flex pipe? Or?
And I guess the biggest question I have is after this will I have any problems trying to smog it here in cali after the mod?

Oh and the power steering line I've heard it can burst, any suggestions on how to use the factory zx3 line and not have it burst?

Thank you for the information on motorcraft vs ngk (aftermarket) stuff.
I apologize for all my questions
Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
mattmoz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94897
What I Drive: 2000 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 mattmoz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you want a heat shield you will have get a svt heat shield or you can just use header wrap too.As for bolting on i belive it will bolt right to the motor as for the cat you will have to use the svt cat to pass smog the zetec one will not work with the svt header also if you have a cat back i belive you need to drill out the holes to fit the svt flex. As for the ps line you can use the stock one you will need to bwnd it out of the way and inulate it or jus buy a svt ps line. For new parts it wont be cheap you can go to cfm there a sponser here or just look on the bst area whole kits come up time to time.To get the best performance ouy of it you will should get it tuned you'llget the most gains out of it talk to 1turbofocus witch is tom at focus power.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 20 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Wrap the header in,

DEI 010127 TITANIUM Exhaust Header Heat Wrap 2" X 50 ft

It is not that hard and looks sexy.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
zetecDon
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkmerc View Post
Will the heat shield fit over the svt header or no? Also is the svt header just bolt on or is there something that needs to be done? Also where is a good site to get all the necessary parts?
No, but you don't necessarily need the heat shield. You can always wrap it using a header wrap. I prefer to use DEI Titanium wrap. Some people are fine with a 50'x2" roll of the wrap which will cost you about $40. Then you can either use stainless steel ties which is offered by DEI also or you can use hose clamps which is what some people have used as well.

Quote:
As far as the svt cat why is that needed? does the zx3 cat not bolt on to the svt flex pipe? Or?
No, the SVT header is a long tube header design which moves the catalytic converter from the front of the motor to the underside of the motor. So that is the reason why you would need a SVT catalytic converter. You can buy one from someone on here really cheap. Just try to find one with the lowest mileage possible on it. Check the BST section of the forum for deals like this.

Quote:
And I guess the biggest question I have is after this will I have any problems trying to smog it here in cali after the mod?
If you do it properly you won't have to worry about inspections. As I said you would need to have a bung welded onto the header so you can attach the EGR valve. The parts that you would be using are 50 state compliant parts and they can't prove that you altered the system.

Quote:
Oh and the power steering line I've heard it can burst, any suggestions on how to use the factory zx3 line and not have it burst?
I have heard people bending theirs out of the way and being fine with that. I bought the SVT power steering line from Ford so I would have had a direct fit. But you can also buy aftermarket lines from most auto parts stores. If you decide to just try to bend your stock line out of the way, you can search around and probably find something on it.

Quote:
Thank you for the information on motorcraft vs ngk (aftermarket) stuff.
I apologize for all my questions
No worries, asking questions is how you get informed. And without information you make mistakes. We all have to start some where. Also a note on the Motorcraft vs NGK, there really isn't much of a difference between them and it really doesn't have an impact on performance as well. So why bother changing something that is already proven to be good for your car.
That's why I stick with the Motorcraft coppers. But I also have to use those since I am running a supercharger as well lol.

To give you an idea of how the header looks wrapped. Here is a picture of my engine bay. Excuse all the dust and dirt, the car was sitting quite awhile at the time this picture was taken.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I think that's the first I've seen your car in 3 years! Haha! Just be sure to take your time wrapping. It can be tedious.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 46 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Wrap + factory SVT heatshield = the shit!

Header wrap, surface temp on the primaries dropped 100*F average.
Add factory heatshield, surface temp dropped another 200*F + average.
Lower underhood temps = very happy car.

There are plenty stickies about how the swap is done, what parts to source and where you can acquire them. I'd suggest reading them.

Spark plugs = Motorcraft or Autolite only.
Wires, just bring an Ohm meter with and buy the set with the lowest resistance. Most anything works. Odd thing, I found that the cheap Autozone set had lower resistance than the expensive set. But I only ran them for a few months, so I can't comment on longevity. But Motorcraft is very price competitive.

Filters and such, so long as you buy quality parts you won't have a problem. Stay away from anything orange or yellow though.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
slinkmerc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thank you for all the info, I have a header and flex pipe. Now I need a cat, anyone know where to get a cat? That is California legal.

Can I use the zetec header gasket or will it not work?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
zetecDon
Where am I?

I would try to search on here for a used catalytic converter with low mileage. The gasket you need to connect the header to the cat is different than the regular Zetec gasket.

Bookmarks & Social Networks