New OBX Exhaust on Ebay... - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUERULES View Post
but if you are poor (because our wonderful government makes us that way) then I say go for it.
wait... what?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,859, Level 74
Points: 12,859, Level: 74 Points: 12,859, Level: 74 Points: 12,859, Level: 74
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
OBX may not have this listed on their main website but that doesn't mean it isn't OBX either. Their website may still need to be updated. But in all the years I have been seeing OBX product, they have come a long way but still aren't where they need to be. Yes they are priced cheaply because they cut corners on their materials.

The piping may be 304 stainless but it is much thinner gauge than what other systems offer. Their welds are cheaply done also, most of the OBX systems I have seen fail over the years mostly fall apart at the welds. That is because they use a mild steel weld instead of a proper stainless steel weld. As someone else had stated, there is a lot of slag on the inside of the welds. I understand people are on a budget sometimes and want to have something rather than nothing. But you can always look around and buy something used for less than the price you would buy an OBX new. Granted we are talking about the 2012+ cars and finding a used system will be difficult but it's possible.

Also, keep this thread on track gentlemen. No need to go off on tangents of who is poor and who is not and the reasons why.

Also to note, I just did some price comparisons. If I were to get the FSwerks stealth exhaust shipped to my house it would only be $560 for a better quality exhaust that has better reputation for fitment. All the OBX stuff I had seen over there years has always had fitment issues. Some where more severe than others but none of it has been direct hook up and go. Again, this is only my opinion as others may have had better results than I have seen, but I am just telling from my experience with it.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
EMAN44
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10609
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST1 TS

Points 4,691, Level 43
Points: 4,691, Level: 43 Points: 4,691, Level: 43 Points: 4,691, Level: 43
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 EMAN44 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
^^this^^

I've never had problems with OBX in the past for the header/exhaust combo I used to have on my ZX3 and it's nice to have another company produce something new for the MK3. That being said, I'm probably not going to buy the OBX, and I don't particularly car for any of the other catbacks for the MK3 on the market currently. It's going to be a custom exhaust for this guy complete with Borla mufflers and Titanium tips for the same price or less than the OBX.

Emanuel
EX Zetec Crew #44 2003 Focus ZX3 -- RIP
Sonic Crew #24 -- 2012 Focus HB SE - Traded
Upgraded Sonic Crew #24 -- 2014 Focus ST
Old 05-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #14
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 159706
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Hatcback SE tuxedo black

Points 453, Level 9
Points: 453, Level: 9 Points: 453, Level: 9 Points: 453, Level: 9
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 danbfree Good Standing Member
Edit: I originally posted one based on what the thread starter said about eBay... Looks like the full 2.5" version (specifically for "4dr hatchback") is $393 including shipping HERE

On the other thread about it, someone says it looks like a Magnaflow clone... since OBX is a huge OEM supplier and others have good luck with the brand too, it seems like this is a good budget option that should be on the stickied mods thread.

Last edited by danbfree; 05-12-2014 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Original edit was confusing.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #15
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,426, Level 86
Points: 18,426, Level: 86 Points: 18,426, Level: 86 Points: 18,426, Level: 86
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 49 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
2013 2DR
hmmm ...
Old 05-12-2014, 12:28 AM   #16
Buildist
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 150994
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Buildist Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
... since OBX is a huge OEM supplier and others have good luck with the brand too, it seems like this is a good budget option that should be on the stickied mods thread.

What automotive manufacturers is OBX a supplier for? They are an aftermarket
"performance company."

Another consideration is what China calls 304 stainless steel will not have the same composition as ASM (American Society for Metals) 304 SS composition.

Steve
Old 05-12-2014, 12:53 AM   #17
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast

Points 453, Level 9
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildist View Post
What automotive manufacturers is OBX a supplier for? They are an aftermarket
"performance company."
Form the site selling them: "...this is what you can expect from a vendor of the world's largest automobile OEM manufacture supplier."

So to me that means they sell a lot of OEM stuff but aren't allowed to disclose to whom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildist View Post
Another consideration is what China calls 304 stainless steel will not have the same composition as ASM (American Society for Metals) 304 SS composition.
I'd like to hear more about this. Can you link me to any comparisons that scientifically compare 304 SS from China and the US? I'd like to know what the actual pros and cons are so I can make an informed buying decision.

Either way it's a fully legitimate option that budget tuners deserve to know about so that's why I posted it.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:08 AM   #18
bluehatch14
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111245
What I Drive: 2012 blue se hatchback

Points 2,181, Level 28
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 bluehatch14 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
2013 2DR
hmmm ...
Haha This^ If anyone wants to buy this please be the person 400 in the hole. I say go custom or buy one of the known reputable systems on the market. Yes it is nice to see more parts on the market but if they're from a company who doesn't do good work then what's the point? I personally don't want anything of inferior quality on my car.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #19
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast

Points 453, Level 9
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
Yes they are priced cheaply because they cut corners on their materials.

The piping may be 304 stainless but it is much thinner gauge than what other systems offer. Their welds are cheaply done also, most of the OBX systems I have seen fail over the years mostly fall apart at the welds. That is because they use a mild steel weld instead of a proper stainless steel weld. As someone else had stated, there is a lot of slag on the inside of the welds.
Isn't it quite possible that labor is simply cheaper in China? I bought an American car and like to buy American when possible but you have to consider that aspect as well when people are indeed on a budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
Also to note, I just did some price comparisons. If I were to get the FSwerks stealth exhaust shipped to my house it would only be $560 for a better quality exhaust that has better reputation for fitment. All the OBX stuff I had seen over there years has always had fitment issues. Some where more severe than others but none of it has been direct hook up and go. Again, this is only my opinion as others may have had better results than I have seen, but I am just telling from my experience with it.
The FSwerks has a 5 year warranty and the OBX is Lifetime, so which really is the better quality? To me that goes a long ways in which one is better backed if I DO have an issue when I spend $170 less for an exhaust system. I appreciate your opinion, but indeed it is merely just that, opinion. Honestly, I was going to consider the FSwerks but when they can't even back it past 5 years when a Chinese one can back theirs for life, well, I know where I'm spending my money now.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:14 AM   #20
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast

Points 453, Level 9
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehatch14 View Post
Haha This^ If anyone wants to buy this please be the person 400 in the hole. I say go custom or buy one of the known reputable systems on the market. Yes it is nice to see more parts on the market but if they're from a company who doesn't do good work then what's the point? I personally don't want anything of inferior quality on my car.

I think you quoted the wrong person but the OBX has a lifetime warranty, so haha yourself, I'll be covered if there's an issue. Others have said they were exceptional quality and with human nature to complain when they aren't happy against all the ones who never post when they are happy, I don't have a problem spending $170 less and have a lifetime guarantee.

Last edited by danbfree; 05-12-2014 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Didn't finish my whole thought...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.