MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101 - Page 27 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #261
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

Points 974, Level 16
Points: 974, Level: 16 Points: 974, Level: 16 Points: 974, Level: 16
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFocusSE5 View Post
If it were negligible, people wouldn't be bothering to prime the oil filter. When the oil system loses all its pressure during an oil change and then the engine is started, metal-to-metal wear is going on that an engine never see's at any other time in its life. Excessive oil changes does an engine no favors.
No, I'm saying that it's negligible if you prime the filter. It's not something to worry about. I'd be more worried about what is in the oil via oil analysis and the oil level. It's more like, excessive oil changes does your wallet no favors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #262
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 5,864, Level 49
Points: 5,864, Level: 49 Points: 5,864, Level: 49 Points: 5,864, Level: 49
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFocusSE5 View Post
If it were negligible, people wouldn't be bothering to prime the oil filter. When the oil system loses all its pressure during an oil change and then the engine is started, metal-to-metal wear is going on that an engine never see's at any other time in its life. Excessive oil changes does an engine no favors.
The only reason to prime the filter is so you don't have to run the engine for a few minutes after initial fill, stop it, pour another half quart or so to replace was the filter was filled with, check it, start it back up, stop it, check it again, etc.

It eliminates that middle step.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #263
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,801, Level 32
Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post
So I've read in here that Mobil1 isn't true synthetic. I've been using it for some years now in my truck. If this is the case, what is recommended? I also see people running 5W-20. I haven't ran out to the car to grab the manual and read, but I will soon. But back to the main question, what's the recommended oil? Motorcraft?
Any oil that meets Ford spec WSS...945 (see your manual) is fine. And Mobil1 5w/20 is one of those.

There are precious few synthetics in the US market based on the old definition of a synthetic, Amsoil being one. However, Mobil, Valvoline, most Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol, etc. synthetics are made out of crude oil subject to extra steps in the refining process. They are of higher quality than conventional oils and perform better in extreme conditions and are capable of longer oil change intervals. So is Mobil1 as good as a "true" synthetic? Just about, and at an affordable price.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #264
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

Points 1,417, Level 21
Points: 1,417, Level: 21 Points: 1,417, Level: 21 Points: 1,417, Level: 21
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post
So I've read in here that Mobil1 isn't true synthetic. I've been using it for some years now in my truck. If this is the case, what is recommended? I also see people running 5W-20. I haven't ran out to the car to grab the manual and read, but I will soon. But back to the main question, what's the recommended oil? Motorcraft?
Ford will tell you Motorcraft, but in reality, you only need to meet or exceed the Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A. For warranty purposes especially, you want to make sure of this - there would be few things worse than getting a warranty claim on an engine denied because a non-approved oil was used.

Sent from my Android using FF Mobile.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #265
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

Points 1,417, Level 21
Points: 1,417, Level: 21 Points: 1,417, Level: 21 Points: 1,417, Level: 21
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Just to show how far oil technology has come, Pennzoil *conventional* oil meets that standard. Now I'm in the full-synthetic camp, but I'm just throwing that out there to show that there are plenty of oils from which to choose.

Personally, I would go with at least what the factory filled it with...semi-synthetic.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #266
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

Points 974, Level 16
Points: 974, Level: 16 Points: 974, Level: 16 Points: 974, Level: 16
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7278 View Post
Ford will tell you Motorcraft, but in reality, you only need to meet or exceed the Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A. For warranty purposes especially, you want to make sure of this - there would be few things worse than getting a warranty claim on an engine denied because a non-approved oil was used.

my local dealers do synthetic changes for $30. that's just a few $ more than the oil and filter itself. can't compete with that.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 AM   #267
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97166
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post
No, I'm saying that it's negligible if you prime the filter. It's not something to worry about. I'd be more worried about what is in the oil via oil analysis and the oil level. It's more like, excessive oil changes does your wallet no favors.
Based on my almost 30 years in the automotive repair/maintenance industry, metal-to-metal wear inside an engine is very much something to worry about and can cause accelerated engine wear. Excessive oil changes do an engine no favors.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #268
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Any oil that meets Ford spec WSS...945 (see your manual) is fine. And Mobil1 5w/20 is one of those.

There are precious few synthetics in the US market based on the old definition of a synthetic, Amsoil being one. However, Mobil, Valvoline, most Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol, etc. synthetics are made out of crude oil subject to extra steps in the refining process. They are of higher quality than conventional oils and perform better in extreme conditions and are capable of longer oil change intervals. So is Mobil1 as good as a "true" synthetic? Just about, and at an affordable price.
To clarify, if we check the websites of the oil companies mentioned above that are manufacturing the cheaper Group, "III", what I call the pretend-it's-a-synthetic oil, (which are merely refined from petroleum crude oil and not manufactured using the superior performing synthetic oils using Group IV PAO or Group V ester base stocks), we find the recommended drain interval is no longer than the even cheaper Group II petroleum oils. For any oil to be safely capable of the rigors of extended drain intervals, the oils additive package has to be specifically formulated for this. Matters not what the base stock of the oil is. The additive package and a high TBN, (total base number), are what is necessary for safe extended drain intervals.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #269
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7278 View Post

For an engine warranty to be denied because of a non-approved oil being used, it has to be proven that whatever damage occurred was due specifically to the oil. If the oil didn't cause the problem, the warranty claim can't be denied. This is federal law. Google --> Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #270
novus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

Points 906, Level 16
Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 5 novus Good Standing Member
Heads up guys, Advanced Auto parts is having 20% off on their website. Use the code "P20" and use pick up from store for "free shipping" lol. Also, here are some others.

Quote:
Note, limit one promo code per order.
20% off Sitewide
use promo code P20
$10 off $30+ or $25 off $70+ orders
use promo code A124
$20 off $50+ orders
use promo code ES123
$30 off $90+ orders
use promo code HUGE30
$40 off $100+ orders
use promo code TRT41
$50 off $175+ orders
use promo code HUGE50
Shipping is free over 75$ but picking up in store is "free" lol :)

EDIT: Not sure what oil to go with or use that coupon that FordCustomerService posted in another thread. 39$ - 10$ mail in rebate = 29$ for oil change, tire rotation etc etc.

Bookmarks & Social Networks