Advice for a 2001 Focus SE with rough idol - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
bwaymama
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110564
What I Drive: 2001, silver, focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 bwaymama Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Advice for a 2001 Focus SE with rough idol

I have a 2001 Focus that is struggling in drive,a little in park but not in reverse. It use to be my dad's car before he died and I just cant part with it. He was meticulous about maintenance on the vehicle. I hadn't been driven in 6 months when I got it. I drove it for two months and it just died on my way home. It was sputtering in drive and when I finally got it home, it would not turn over, but it did crank. We replaced the fuel pump assembly and the fuel filter and it was perfect...for about two weeks. Now it is struggling in drive and I am scared to drive it. It is throwing 4 codes P1131 (o2 sensor) P0460 (Fuel Level Sensor) P1406 (EGR Valve or DPFE Outdated) and P0456 (Poor Vapor seal/ damaged fuel vapor line)

For the P0456 I checked the gas cap and it is sealed tight. Which one of the above is what is causing the problem of struggling in drive?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "General Technical Chat".
Old 02-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaymama View Post
I have a 2001 Focus that is struggling in drive,a little in park but not in reverse. It use to be my dad's car before he died and I just cant part with it. He was meticulous about maintenance on the vehicle. I hadn't been driven in 6 months when I got it. I drove it for two months and it just died on my way home. It was sputtering in drive and when I finally got it home, it would not turn over, but it did crank. We replaced the fuel pump assembly and the fuel filter and it was perfect...for about two weeks. Now it is struggling in drive and I am scared to drive it. It is throwing 4 codes P1131 (o2 sensor) P0460 (Fuel Level Sensor) P1406 (EGR Valve or DPFE Outdated) and P0456 (Poor Vapor seal/ damaged fuel vapor line)

For the P0456 I checked the gas cap and it is sealed tight. Which one of the above is what is causing the problem of struggling in drive?

Any help would be appreciated!
Well. let me see..... P1131-lean, Bank no.1: There is a fuel restriction-or- There is enough fuel during combustion (vacuum leak), this would cause "struggling" in drive ( and anywhere else)
P1406-DPFE Sensor downstream hose.....check for a damaged hose(s) going from sensor on firewall down to egr pipe....
P0456- this is the "infamous" small leak detected code....I have this and ignore......
P0460-fuel Level Sensor Circuit Malfunction: Now I believe that this is due to poor wiring @ the fuel level sensor itself, or atleast @ the input wiring harness connector.....check it out. yes.....you might have to remove the fuel tank again....probably bunched (pinched) wires on install....happens.
Now, when I recently had code P1131 it was due to a high idle problem....vacuum leak in the PCV hose (split).

Bookmarks & Social Networks