2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 73 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #721
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorddave View Post
...The focus she's looking to get has 33,000 miles on it and it was a rental from Florida...
If you haven't already, lorddave, I recommend checking out our Certified Pre-Owned site here: http://www.ford.com/certified-used/. All of our vehicles have passed a 172-point inspection and come with a peace-of-mind limited warranty.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #722
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
I thought it was against the rules to advertise in the discussion forums?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #723
lorddave
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110556
What I Drive: 2001 Green Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 lorddave Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
If you haven't already, lorddave, I recommend checking out our Certified Pre-Owned site here: http://www.ford.com/certified-used/. All of our vehicles have passed a 172-point inspection and come with a peace-of-mind limited warranty.

Crystal
I'll be honest Crystal, after reading about all the people having problems I'm quite concerned. Especially since many of them have to sue under lemon laws to get Ford to take the car back. If a straight from factory didn't have a proper inspection, how can I be sure the dealer did the 172-point inspection properly?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #724
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
You can go look at the 172 step inspection form, it does have a check box for shift quality and noise, but not one for clutch inspection. It's basically all the stuff any reasonable person would do with a carfax and a test drive.

It doesn't give me much confidence that it would catch a bad clutch and it gives me zero confidence it would catch a problematic transmission.

Ford needs to communicate the root cause of the failures and the fix. The seals that leak, why do they leak? Why will a new seal last if the first one didn't?

Honestly, I would avoid a used focus with a DCT for now, until we know they can be reliable. There is a reason a 1 year old car is for sale.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #725
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
I'll be honest Crystal, after reading about all the people having problems I'm quite concerned. Especially since many of them have to sue under lemon laws to get Ford to take the car back. If a straight from factory didn't have a proper inspection, how can I be sure the dealer did the 172-point inspection properly?
If you know the VIN number of the car, go to etis.ford.com and enter it in the "vehicle" section. This will show you how the car is equipped and what "Field Service Actions" are outstanding. In particular, look for FSA 12b37: this was the major reprogramming of the DCT software.

My personal advice is to look elsewhere. The Focus is a terrific car but until the DCT issues are completely resolved and the dealer network begins to be able to deal with it, IMHO it's too big a risk.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #726
lorddave
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
If you know the VIN number of the car, go to etis.ford.com and enter it in the "vehicle" section. This will show you how the car is equipped and what "Field Service Actions" are outstanding. In particular, look for FSA 12b37: this was the major reprogramming of the DCT software.

My personal advice is to look elsewhere. The Focus is a terrific car but until the DCT issues are completely resolved and the dealer network begins to be able to deal with it, IMHO it's too big a risk.
Your link doesn't work.

But I see your point. The wife is already looking at other cars.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #727
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
Your link doesn't work.

But I see your point. The wife is already looking at other cars.
Good luck with your search. If you still want to check the website, type the etis.ford.com in the URL bar; it wasn't meant to be a link.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #728
lorddave
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Good luck with your search. If you still want to check the website, type the etis.ford.com in the URL bar; it wasn't meant to be a link.
I know. What I mean is that the url is invalid. It can't find etis.ford.com

Nvm. Had to manually add www in front.

And it says no campaign messages found. is that good?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #729
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
I know. What I mean is that the url is invalid. It can't find etis.ford.com

Nvm. Had to manually add www in front.

And it says no campaign messages found. is that good?
It means that the "big" DCT software update has been applied. This update was required to maintain the warranty and it seems to have helped many, so I guess that's good. It's also good that the next owner won't have to have this done with the risk of an unpredictable outcome. It also means that if the DCT misbehaves on a test drive, there's no easy fix. So if you are still interested and it doesn't act right, run, don't walk away.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #730
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrizzard View Post
I've had my new Ford Focus for less than 2 months. I'm about to take it back to the Northside Ford Service Center in San Antonio, which will make my fourth time to have it back in service since I bought it. At very low speeds, like in stop-and-go driving, with light breaking pressure, the car shakes and shutters.
When I got mine last year, it was smooth as silk -- 500 miles later, it developed a shuttering problem much like how you described. A noise developed as well.

The shuttering problem did not go away until I went in for the 12B37 update. Since then it's been an awesome performer.

Oh, if you need 12B37, or any other update, check this out and enter your VIN:

https://www.etis.ford.com/

The noise still exists, but this will help explain the underlying reasons:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306863

Since I've had no metal shavings in the tranmission fluid after 5000 miles, or anything leaking, I'm not going to worry... and, as I always do for cars, I bought the maintenance plan/extended warranty. I prefer some piece of mind, though I hope it never has to be used. And any car has the potential for post-purchase problems; assembly line issues are variable, even under the best of times (that doesn't mean a company should put out slop that's designed to fall apart after x number of years or other things...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
This is normal. Many people have complained about this before (including Fiesta owners), but they're just not used to dual clutch transmissions. This isn't a PowerShift exclusive issue either. The DSG system used in Volkswagens have the same issue. It's just how these transmissions work. They have a very notchy feel to them because they're technically automated manual transmissions.

What makes this different from regular automatics is the absence of the torque converter, which smooths out the shifting process. You're probably asking "well why the hell don't they have one?" Because torque converters are highly inefficient and sap a lot of power from the engine and reduce fuel economy considerably. The only solution would be to switch to a CVT or another traditional automatic car.

Sorry to put it so bluntly but that's just the reality of it. If it makes you any happier Ford is talking about development of an 8-speed transmission in the future (which is not dual clutch). Personally I would love to get my hands on a PowerShift car. Ford is probably the only manufacturer in America that is pioneering this wonderful technology for entry level cars (bonus points for using a maintenance-free dry system).

Well said, though while an 8-speed standard automatic will be neat, will that transmission replace DCT, or be available in certain models only? (e.g. the higher-up Fusion)

And, as the inbuilt computer learns how the car drives, these issues should improve. It only bugs me that, for ~500 miles, me (and some others) had an awesome ride but then problems happened. But 12B37 fixed everything, right from the get-go... for me, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrizzard View Post
Coffee sitting in a cup in the cup holder began splattering over the seats. If that is the new normal then forget Ford. The transmission tech said he would not buy a car that did what this one did. Can't believe they would design a car that acts this way.

Along with Ford, you might have to forget about Volkswagon, Hyundai, and others that use a DCT...

But it is possible you have a DCT that is not working right, and it's a fairly new technology. My local Ford dealer has only ONE expert on the engineering and design, and Ford dealers are going to all have to train their employees on DCT because it's not going to go anywhere.

And, after the computer learns the routine amd after 12B37, mine has been completely smooth as silk. Even during the idle-low acceleration rumble, getting past the first 10MPH or so became a dream. Nowadays it's a dream all around, but I do have fear the dream will turn into a nightmare. That's not abnormal for anybody buying a car, but that's something one should not lose sleep over. If something happens, deal with it. If nothing happens, a lot of emotional wrenching was made out of a belief rather than fact and therefore in vain. And I'll agree, it's easier to rationalize than to experience but I've been through the experience. My Focus pretty much improved, and even the noise I occasionally hear is rarely as audible as it once was. I'll keep driving in good faith and know that I am covered if a problem happens. I don't think there will be one, and DCT really is a new technology.

But with improved MPG, that's a driving force behind DCT's increasing standardization and why dealers and independent mechanics are only going to do themselves good to learn the mechanism.

Bookmarks & Social Networks