argh!!! Can't get front strut out?!?! 03 zx5 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
lbrowne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70250
What I Drive: My wife nuts

FF Reputation: 1 lbrowne Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
argh!!! Can't get front strut out?!?! 03 zx5

I've done this before but I dunno what the heck I'm doing wrong.

I have the swaybar end link let go, hoses removed from the clips, strut bottom bolt is out, tie rod end is let go...

I can get the knuckle to slide down the strut shaft almost to the bottom of the strut but not quite all the way. It moves freely. Everything I watched for clips etc, the control arm just goes down and you can move the knuckle out of the way. Then let go the three nuts on top of the strut and voila it's out.

I have new LCAs, I wouldn't think that would matter, but I can't see a way to get good leverage to force the control arm even lower. It really seems like the LCA is not pivoting low enough.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR these normally would take me 30 mins a side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
In the arms there is a hole to get a big pry bar in to pull it down. Did you install the strut looseley in the strut tower 1st? Get the 3 struds thru the strut mount holes at the top & get one stud bolt & thread it 3 or turns just to hold it up there loosely so you can line up the strut into the spindle. Get another pry bar to open up the pynsers= the slot on the inside of the spindle to make it easier to slide the strut down if nessary.
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
lbrowne
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
In the arms there is a hole to get a big pry bar in to pull it down. Did you install the strut looseley in the strut tower 1st? Get the 3 struds thru the strut mount holes at the top & get one stud bolt & thread it 3 or turns just to hold it up there loosely so you can line up the strut into the spindle. Get another pry bar to open up the pynsers= the slot on the inside of the spindle to make it easier to slide the strut down if nessary.
Yeah I got the bottom pinch bolt out - the strut moves in the knuckle easy just can't get control arm low enough to clear bottom of strut. I'll try the prybar. thnx

*edit: I haven't got the old one out yet - just got home and going to try the prybar. (I seen that you were saying how to install the new one) Cheers

Last edited by lbrowne; 02-27-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I just whack the top of the knuckle with a lead hammer, it smacks it down that last 1/2" and the strut pops out.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
lbrowne
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
I just whack the top of the knuckle with a lead hammer, it smacks it down that last 1/2" and the strut pops out.
Did that on the passenger side didn't work, I eventually put a bottle jack on top of the knuckle and let it cradle into the bottom of the spring and worked it out.

All that chaos with the passenger side - I did the driver side in 25 mins if that. The knuckle and arm gave way easily with little prying at the end to clear bottom of strut.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
^mine was the opposite - passenger side fell out like a turd and the drivers side was, eh, constipated.

I used a prybar gingerly - I've always heard that forcing the knuckle assembly thru too large an angle can damage the CV joint.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
PumkinSvt
Dat Bewst Life!!

Fan#: 46561
What I Drive: 10 Forte DD,Comp SVTF

FF Reputation: 28 PumkinSvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (32)
Did you have a new control arm on the pass side? it could of been that.

I had that problem on monday when I was installing my axle the control arm wouldn't go down far enough.

HKS||Garrett||TopSpeed||Tial||Massive||

Bookmarks & Social Networks